Dr. Zooch Return To Flight Space Shuttle build thread- #2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mushtang!!
your new Shuttle is just awesome! very well done!!

I haven't done anything new since the last time I posted. I've been too busy with the nice weather trying to get more done on my new deck. It's a monster project for sure.

Here is the .DOC file and a .PDF of that file. I printed the .DOC for the repressurization line and it also has a Yellow Ocher area so you can cut strips for above and below the corrugation.

View attachment 143612

View attachment 143613

Thanks Mushtang... this is a nice addition to the details available for the Zooch shuttle. Great work!!!

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Yeah, I hear ya... picked up a load of pipe today to start work on the old man's house-- water and sewer, then I have to do a deck and handicapped ramp on the front as well... haven't even started the plans for that yet...

Here are some pictures of my finished stack. I'm still working on the flame fins but there hasn't been a lot of free time for rocket building lately.

photo_2.jpg photo_3.jpg photo_5.jpg

VERY NICE! I think you've moved up a few places on your 2013 ranking with this one.

WOW!!!! That one looks terrific, Mushtang! KUTGW! Be sure to post flight pics here when you send her up... :)

Hey Mushtang....did you ever get to fly her? This is another Zooch kit that I am thinking about taking another shot with....just a blast to fly!

Hey Mushtang....did you ever get to fly her? This is another Zooch kit that I am thinking about taking another shot with....just a blast to fly!

Not yet. Oddly enough I'm planning on it this weekend. We're having a club launch and I'm bringing it for it's first flight, along with many other's that I've built in the past 4 or 5 months that haven't flown yet. I'll be sure to post pics and vids that I manage to get.

Well, I WAS going to launch it this weekend, but the club launch has been rescheduled. Maybe I'll go find a field and just launch this one and not all the others I'd planned on launching.

Last edited:
OK! good luck with the launch and can't wait to see the pics! I am kinda in the same boat...weather is finally heating up around here and I am looking forward to some maiden flights as well.

Not yet. Oddly enough I'm planning on it this weekend. We're having a club launch and I'm bringing it for it's first flight, along with many other's that I've built in the past 4 or 5 months that haven't flown yet. I'll be sure to post pics and vids that I manage to get.

OK....my Zooch Shuttle does not hold a candle to Mushtang's beauty...but here is a shot of her lifting off this past weekend on her 17th flight.

IMG_7766a.jpg

sorry I was not able to get any in flight shots. This flight was made in winds of about 10 mph, which is probably the strongest winds that I have let her fly. She flew great! My shuttle tends to circle the booster in flight and there was no doubt that the winds pushed her a bit from her normal trajectory. At one point she wobbled a bit and lost lift and I thought she was going to auger in, but she suddenly pulled her nose up, leveled off, and flew straight down range. It was as if John Young took over the controls!

This rocket is just plain fun to fly! My niece, nephew (who is a pilot), their kids and even my wife :)jaw:) couldn't believe how well this thing flies! Another awesome Dr. Zooch kit!

Wow, this post made me realize just how long it's been since I've built the shuttle and STILL haven't flown it. The problem is that I don't have any large fields close to my house, and the local club launches are always conflicting with other stuff in my life.

I must make it a priority soon to get to a launch soon and give the newest shuttle a proper return to flight!!

Wow, this post made me realize just how long it's been since I've built the shuttle and STILL haven't flown it. The problem is that I don't have any large fields close to my house, and the local club launches are always conflicting with other stuff in my life.

I must make it a priority soon to get to a launch soon and give the newest shuttle a proper return to flight!!

At least you built it....Mine you ask???...it's still in the box.:facepalm:

hey Mushtang....your Shuttle is just awesome. The best I have seen done by anyone. what weight paper did you use for your shuttle? make sure to take some pics when you fly her! we all want to see her!

Rick

race....when my Shuttle came in the mail and I opened the box my first thought was what have I gotten myself into.... I have to say though, the instructions for the Zooch shuttle build are just spot on....the Doc really takes through the build in a logical manner. Its a really fun kit to fly and to watch that Shuttle glide in...just cool stuff! and Luke's build thread here will really help you out!

At least you built it....Mine you ask???...it's still in the box.:facepalm:

Well 10 months after building this rocket I finally got a chance to go fly it today! Earlier this week I was driving home from work a way I normally don't go (GPS took me a different route due to traffic) and I saw a large open field that had been cleared recently. Apparently there's some construction planned, so before any buildings are built I thought I'd take advantage of the open space and fly the Discovery (and a few other rockets). I packed up my rocket stuff, and my 8 year old son, and went to climb over a chain blocking our entrance to the construction site to fly some rockets.

I flew a couple other rockets first to see how well the area would work, to test the wind, etc. before risking my Shuttle. So I loaded her up onto the pad with a B6-2 engine and took a couple of pictures.

Zooch Shuttle Discovery 01.jpgZooch Shuttle Discovery 02.jpg

I let my son launch the rocket while I tried to record the flight with my phone. It was a fine lift off and I managed to miss the separation when the ejection charge went off because I was zooming in, but the orbiter flew back into frame.

It flew in a straight line, directly away from me. I hear about other people's orbiters turning and circling down, but both of mine seem to fly straight as an arrow.

In the video it looks like the orbiter goes into trees, or maybe over the tops of them, but it doesn't. It lands well in front of them. If you look closely right at the end you can see the little white spec hit the ground.

[YOUTUBE]TI1bx2xpd9A[/YOUTUBE]

The stack landed under full parachute and was picked up and carried back to the launch pad to be prepped for another flight.

Zooch Shuttle Discovery 03.jpg

The orbiter was laying on it's side when I got to it. There's one small spot where the soft dirt/mud left a mark but other than that there was no sign of damage.

Zooch Shuttle Discovery 04.jpgZooch Shuttle Discovery 05.jpgZooch Shuttle Discovery 06.jpg

So the entire rocket was prepped for a second flight and as I was attaching the launch controller leads to the ignitor and I noticed this...

Zooch Shuttle Discovery 07.jpg

A flame fin was broken, probably from impact on landing. Bummer. No more flights today.

The good news is that damage is likely to be easy to fix and I'll be ready for more flights. I'd like to get in a bunch before 1) I get caught and told not to trespass again by the site owner or worse, the cops, and 2) they start major construction and ruin the open area for flying.

Even though I broke a fin, I'm calling this day a success!! The shuttle flew fine and will be able to fly again another day. Hooray!!

Last edited:
When I removed the flame fin last night to fix the broken fin I managed to break a second one myself. So both fins are glued back on now but I doubt I'll paint over the scars, I'll leave them as is. I think I sanded the balsa fins too thin which is why they broke so easily. Maybe I should swap them out with the flame fins on the 1st Shuttle I built.

Mushtang...she flew GREAT! seemed very stable in flight from the video. She is just beautiful! The Zooch Shuttle is such an awesome kit. Fun to build and fun to fly!

Mushtang...she flew GREAT! seemed very stable in flight from the video. She is just beautiful! The Zooch Shuttle is such an awesome kit. Fun to build and fun to fly!

Thanks Rick! I just wish I knew more about why my gliders both fly straight and your's (and other people's) has the slow turn that causes it to spiral down.

I'm wondering if I should 1) Put a paper flap on one wing to try and tilt it, or 2) Put a paper flap on the back of the rudder to try and induce a turn? If I overdo either I could cause it to nose dive, so I'm reluctant to try - not knowing how much is too much.

Thanks Rick! I just wish I knew more about why my gliders both fly straight and your's (and other people's) has the slow turn that causes it to spiral down.

I'm wondering if I should 1) Put a paper flap on one wing to try and tilt it, or 2) Put a paper flap on the back of the rudder to try and induce a turn? If I overdo either I could cause it to nose dive, so I'm reluctant to try - not knowing how much is too much.

In the description on the Dr's site it says this.

The orbiter even has a trim screw that allows you
to adjust the elevator to get that perfect
glide, or to get a realistic Shuttle approach
angle

I don't know because mines still in the box :facepalm: but I seem to remember others talking about it in build threads.

In the description on the Dr's site it says this.

The orbiter even has a trim screw that allows you
to adjust the elevator to get that perfect
glide, or to get a realistic Shuttle approach
angle

I don't know because mines still in the box :facepalm: but I seem to remember others talking about it in build threads.

That's for PITCH adjustment... how high the nose is in relation to the glide path... adjust it too much and the nose will pitch up and induce a stall, too low and they nosedive. His pitch adjustment sounds straight on...

To trim a glider for a circular flight path, add a little pinch of clay to the wingtip on one side... this will cause that wing to dip slightly into a "bank" and thus induce a turning flight path...

To trim a glider for a circular flight path, add a little pinch of clay to the wingtip on one side... this will cause that wing to dip slightly into a "bank" and thus induce a turning flight path...

Thanks Jeff. I did try that on my first orbiter but I probably just used too little clay. It was about as big as a pencil eraser or less. Now that I've got a field near the house I can fly in (for the next few months at least) I'll bring a hunk of clay one afternoon and launch it over and over and try to slowly build up until it works.

That is, assuming the flame fins don't break again. I'll bring both sets to be sure. Heck, I guess I could bring both complete stacks and a helper and fly one stack while the other one is loaded. Rapid fire shuttles!!

Back