what app should i use to open Openrocket with windows 8 ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddmanrockets

Reaction score
I tried to download OpenRocket in Windows 8 and its asking me what app I should use to open it with ? any suggestions would be helpful
thx val

Openrocket is written in Java.

You need to have Java loaded on your computer for it to run.

Go to java.com and install java and the program will run.

Bob

tried to load a java app but didn't want to work so went to java and downloaded theirs, worked but have to tell openrocket file to open with java but that's ok still works better than my stupid tablet I have for work!!! thx again
Openrocket is written in Java.

You need to have Java loaded on your computer for it to run.

Go to java.com and install java and the program will run.

Bob

fixed that by setting default program
tried to load a java app but didn't want to work so went to java and downloaded theirs, worked but have to tell openrocket file to open with java but that's ok still works better than my stupid tablet I have for work!!! thx again

Its easy just drop the Open Rocket file on the Desktop double click on the Icon (default is Java Icon). Of course I ditched the Metro interference..errr interface by using Classic Shell, now I boot directly to my desktop just like Win7.

So I just upgraded to a new computer and I'm having the same problem... I'm trying to open it with java but there are like ten different programs inside of java and I'm not sure which to use. (Java, javacpl, javaw, javaws) Sorry to resurrect this this thread but I can't seem to get it to work. The only one that seems to do anything is "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary" and all it does is open command prompt for about 1/4 of a second. Any help you guys can provide would be great!

I Have Java. When I tried to get it to Open With Java though there is more than just one option.
The first photo is a photo of the option I have to open OpenRocket with when I got to the file for Java. the second photo is the error code I got in the first place that made start messing with the "Open With" settings. I haven't seen the error code since but It still hasn't worked. The closest I've gotten is a flash of command prompt. It shows up for a fraction of a second and then disappears.
2016-01-27 (1).jpg2016-01-27.jpg

You do not have to open Java. Once it is properly installed, the computer should know if it sees a .jar file extension, bring up Java.

Open Rocket is a .jar file. To start Open Rocket just go to your Open Rocket folder and double click OpenRocket-xx.xx.jar to start Open Rocket. All your files associated with Open Rocket should be in that folder to make it easy.

You only want to have the latest version of Java on your computer. Go to https://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp to verify you have the latest version of java and to remove the older versions.

Bob

I was having a similar problem launching OpenRocket and I found the problem to be that my default browser was set to Chrome. Chrome no longer supports Java and as a result, the application didn't launch correctly, even though I had installed Java correctly. As soon as I changed my default browser to Firefox or IE or Edge, it worked perfectly.

I was having a similar problem launching OpenRocket and I found the problem to be that my default browser was set to Chrome. Chrome no longer supports Java and as a result, the application didn't launch correctly, even though I had installed Java correctly. As soon as I changed my default browser to Firefox or IE or Edge, it worked perfectly.

Not true at all. All I use is Chrome and OpenRocket works fine. Openrocket is not a web based program so it shouldn't matter what browser you use.

Back