how to make very big cone on the cheap

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
check out my L3 build thread . so how its done take a traffic cone close to the dia of your build and glass the inside with one layer . let it get to the green stat and pull it out . no need for release or wax . it will not stick . just make sure you compress the inside balloon ,trash bag . after its pulled out place it on it form . after it cured you can put the coupler in and put a section of the air frame to get your length and shape right . make sure you peel the out side to make room for the glass . for the top put a dowel to make you tip . you can most likely make just about any shape you would need . 3.1 4.1 5.1 can be made by changing the length of the dowel . for me all total if im thinking right for a 10" cone that will be 3 foot tall and weigh less than 9lbs for about $30 . as I go and glass the outside of this cone I will post pictures in the main thread and post here to IMAG0184.jpgIMAG0184.jpg

the blue thing is a trash can of about same dia and length ( longer than it will be ) to show scale

hmm thats interesting! I may have to try this sometime with some mini cones used for sports and such. They may be perfect for some 4" airframes :)

Yes with diffent cone you can change the nose cone shape by changing the back ends leghth. 2/3 to 1/3 . For this one . Just play with the ideas .hobby lobby 6" paper macha Easter egg and 4" air frame will make a big bertha type cone

9 lbs for the nose cone ? Does that include the airframe section and coupler ? Its hard to tell from my phone and the little picture , but are you using matt glass and polyester resin ?

Eric

Eric yes 9lbs nose cone and coupler . And yes it was polyester resin . This was the first layer (inside of cone )

Back