Eagle Claw Sport instructions/build BSS rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
I will be posting a build thread here .

Will include how to utilize the new motor retention included with the kit. It is a bit tricky and requires the builder to bend the "wings" on the clip with pliers.

The new aluminum retainer doubles as the rear centering ring & is totally hidden inside the tailcone for a neat...clean look!
You don't even know it's there to detract from the "look"

Here's some pics to see the size of the new Wildman "Eagle Claw Sport", it is quite large and stylish.

DSCN3521.jpg DSCN3596.jpg DSCN3612.jpg

Wildman brought just what I was hoping for for Christmas :grin:!

Eager to see this kit go together!
Does this kit have the tipped and threaded NC?

Nate

Wildman brought just what I was hoping for for Christmas :grin:!

Eager to see this kit go together!
Does this kit have the tipped and threaded NC?

Nate

No it does not......only the 3in and up do.
The shoulder is molded on the cone for this one....so you cannot do dual deploy with this cone. It requires a cone with a coupler for the shoulder.

You simply glue a loop of Kevlar into the cone for recovery attachment on this build.
But IT DOES come with motor retention & that's pretty slick!

No it does not......only the 3in and up do.
The shoulder is molded on the cone for this one....so you cannot do dual deploy with this cone. It requires a cone with a coupler for the shoulder.

You simply glue a loop of Kevlar into the cone for recovery attachment on this build.
But IT DOES come with motor retention & that's pretty slick!

Yeah, I'm really psyched about the included motor retainer. That definitely sweetens the deal big time

It's bigger then I thought... If I hadn't bought the 3" Punisher, I probably would have gotten this one... Maybe next time...:)

My very first subscription. Sniff!

Actually, the kit is going to my son. He is taking an aerospace class at school and this should be pretty good "cool factor" - at least in that class.

Wildman has been shipping these to some lucky flier's, so it's time to crank up the build!

The standard basic parts shot..LOL
The Eagle Claw Sport is made from all lightweight thin-wall tubing & the new polymer light weight thin-wall NC & tail-cone,that matches up to the airframe with a seamless transition.

54mm airframe [2.1 in] and 29mm motor mount.
1/16in G-10 plate fins.
Includes standard with the kit is built in Motor retention, hidden INSIDE the tailcone so it will not detract from the look of the kit.

DSCN3521.jpg

First you must bend tabs on the stainless retaining ring that fits into the groove in the retainer.
I used 2 pairs of pliers, once bent, these tabs can be "grabbed" with a set of needle nose to install or be removed.

By the way, same retainer is included with the V-2 Sport!

DSCN3509.jpg DSCN3512.jpg Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 6.13.41 PM.jpg

Last edited:
The motor retainer has no lip and the MM tube will slide right through. So you must correctly fit it to the exact position.

Sand the MM tube entirely so it's ready for retainer, fins & shock cord.

Place the previously bent clip into retainer.....Drop a 29mm motor with closure into tube, then place retainer over motor & onto MM tube.
Once in position, make several wraps of masking tape to create a "stop" for retainer & a place for excess glue to collect.

DSCN3524.jpg

Remove retainer & motor, put thin coat of epoxy/JB weld around the MM tube.
With a light "twisting" motion to distribute glue evenly, slide retainer over MM tube.
Carefully try fitting a motor into retainer to make sure fit is correct, if not adjust, then set aside for glue to cure.
When glue has "set" remove tape and excess glue, check inside motor mount tube for any excess glue that may impede inserting a motor and clean it up if needed. Denatured alcohol will make quick work of this. [Cr just happened to be on tube when pic was taken, no need for it in this step]

DSCN3523.jpg

If your like me, you will have mixed too much glue, so I always have something else ready to use it with.
1/4in Kevlar is recommended for shock cord. 10-12 ft for this rocket.
Cut approx. 1 ft. for a loop in NC for shock cord attachment. Sand inside of NC where cord loop will be glued.
A drop of CA to hold each end in place will aid in this process.
Encapsulate the cord/loop inside the NC and set aside to cure.

DSCN3530.jpg

Sand one side of Rear CR and both sides of front CR.
File notch in front CR to slide over kevlar shock cord.

DSCN3532.jpg DSCN3546.jpg

CAREFULLY apply a thin film of glue on the motor retainer which also doubles as CR.
Insert into tailcone and push flush with rear.
Be careful not to get any glue inside, check & clean if needed.

DSCN3534.jpg

Slide CR with out the notch, down MM tube and into tailcone about 1/4in. allowing enough room to fillet.
Fillet the CR to tailcone & Motor mount tube.
Stand on tailcone to cure.

DSCN3539.jpg

Slide the notched CR over 4-5inches of Kevlar shock cord, leave 1/4. of tube exposed for fillet, and epoxy cord in place.
Encapsulate it entirely. Shove excess kevlar into MM tube to keep it out of the way.
Fillet the top of CR.

Attachments

• DSCN3551.jpg
    DSCN3551.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3554.jpg
    DSCN3554.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Sand both sides of root edges of all the fins for internal fillet adhesion.

DSCN3548.jpg

"Double Dip"method of tacking fins on. Make sure you don't put the rear fins on backwards!
Butter the root edge of rear fin [small one] insert into slot, press into place.
Remove and do it again, basically double dipping to increase amount of glue!
Repeat for other 2 fins.

DSCN3556.jpg

Use your favorite method of alignment & set aside to cure.

DSCN3560.jpg

Sand on both sides of all slots approximately 1/2in from edge of slot for external fillets.

DSCN3562.jpg

Jim - couple of questions. What kind of epoxy are you using on the shock cord, rocketpoxy? Also, what is diameter of airframe? Thanks!

Jim - couple of questions. What kind of epoxy are you using on the shock cord, rocketpoxy? Also, what is diameter of airframe? Thanks!

Yes, RocketPoxy, & diameter is 54mm [2.1] thin wall tubing.

All the Wildman "Sport" kits use this size. 54mm

"Mini" size kits use 38mm tubing, with 29mm motor mount, also thin wall.

Jr. size kits are also 54mm thin wall but have payloads and 38 motor mounts.
Some Sports are available with 38 motor mounts but most come standard with 29 MM tube.

Last edited:
You should have a fin can looking like this.
Before going further, take the airframe & draw a line between the fins for rail buttons.
Sand the tailcone shoulder and inside of airframe, coat inside of airframe [2-3 in.] with glue.
Insert into airframe & align the lower fins with upper fin slots.

DSCN3560.jpg

Use the "double dip" method described for lower fins, to attach the uppers.
Use clamps. cloths pins, chip clips etc. to attach a straightedge on lower and upper fin to attain correct alignment.
Repeat for other 2 fins. Set aside to cure.

DSCN3571.jpg

Use a "beefy' size fillet, as the fins are large and a hard hit will tend to knock them loose.
A correct size fillet will prevent this. I used a 1in diameter section of PVC pipe.
Using the method described in detail in all my other builds, coat the edge of pipe with sharpie, rub back & forth in V-groove to leave a mark.
Then masking tape on the lines. Now you have a perfect fillet section, excess glue can be removed when pulling the tape off.
Make sure area's between tape on body tube & fin are sanded well to promote fillet adhesion.
[ or use your favorite method, just use good size fillets on this one!]

DSCN3566.jpg

Last edited:
Rear fillet I wrapped around the entire fin to get "slicker", slippery look.

IMG_20141219_202709_636.jpg

Front fillet I stopped and squared off at the rear.

IMG_20141219_202750_651.jpg

Mounting the 1010 rail buttons.
Drill hole with 1/8th bit and self tap screw into airframe.
Front one goes 1in. in front of forward fin.
Rear 1/2in from rear edge of airframe/tailcone joint.

IMG_20141219_202606_350.jpg IMG_20141219_202630_014.jpg

Beveling was not done on this one.
The fins were slightly rounded on edges just to hold paint better & help keep from chipping off.

Last edited:
Tie shock cord to loop in NC.
Tie a loop on cord 2-3 ft from NC & attach Nomex chute protector & parachute.

18-24in chute recommended depending on how hard a surface you fly on.

This thing really scoots on G's up to 6xl size motors!

There ya go..........the End. Happy flying with your Wildman EagleClaw Sport.

DSCN3596.jpg

Awesome!

Is there an Openrocket/ Rocksim file I can play with?

Nate

any idea what the price will be on these? it's starting to call to me.

BSS, no not black saturday sale, this time it means brown suit santa, you know the driver in the big brown truck is supposed to deliver the kit monday, oops it is monday already! so very timely build thread. Cool retainer, Think I may have ordered an aeropack with this kit. Guess it will get used on another project.

Can't wait to see this rocket. Nice size and should fly on a wide variety of motors. Go mild or wildman!

See ya,
Rod

Man you build some good looking rockets. Any plans for paint or finish?

Thank you.......yes of course, but after the holidays to paint.

any idea what the price will be on these? it's starting to call to me.

Don't know the regular price.
A call to Wildman would let you know. Even though not on his site yet, they are available by calling in.

Jim - did you glue forward CR to air frame?

No I did not see any reason to....6 fins & tailcone assembly all holding everything together, plus recovery is glued to MM tube.
All that top CR is doing, is keeping things centered till the upper fins are glued on. Go ahead and glue it if you desire, I just was saving weight every where possible, that's why no internal fillets either.
This is the largest/heaviest of the Sport kits, especially with those huge fins & tailcone. Wanted to get decent flights using smaller motors, every bit of saving counts. I also know that many will stuff 6 xl motors in there and that's why larger external fillets are used.
A 6g sparky was loaded in the pipe for first flight, but due to 25-30mph winds, it didn't go. It would have landed miles away.LOL

Well After an UN-expected Christmas gift, I will be taking over the Painting and Decal part of this thread.
Waiting for a few extra parts to arrive, Yes she being upgraded(Modified) to Dual-Deployment.
I will show this conversion too!, I'm thinking Big Daddy Roth Cherry Red metal flake for the Colors with some Black involved somewhere.

Don has it for painting......I think I did.....I always do. Should be a 1/8in hole, between top CR and bottom of NC shoulder. Halfway between use at least 1/16th. above the rail buttons.

She got an upgrade.
Now Dual deploy, but the same length.
Chopped off about 11" off the top of the airframe, added a 5.5" AV bay, no vent band. Air vents lay on the inside edge of the payload section.
Small but easy and effective DD, booster section still can hold the CTI 29mmXL motors.

And a florescence Pink paint job for easy finding.

Pictured next to my 38mm Dual deploy Eagle-Claw, and a DarkStar mini.

Yes their are Vent holes in both booster and payload sections.

20150125_164517.jpg

Back