Our Children's Future: An LDRS34 Teen Group Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished all the internal fin fillets this past week. I was also able to finish glassing the upper payload tube and it turned out perfect. I just need to glass the switch band so we can send it to python rocketry to get the nosecone made. David, Cody and I will be getting together again on the 21st and 22nd to insert the fin can into the rocket, finish sanding all the tubes and epoxying everything together.

I don't have large project experience. But have read a number of people putting their batteries on one side and electronics on the other of their sleds. That way should a battery come loose it doesn't hit your altimeter.

Just a thought.

+2 on that!

When things break loose, allot of things can go wrong.
Make sure to either color code them or label to what wires go where.

JD

I don't have large project experience. But have read a number of people putting their batteries on one side and electronics on the other of their sleds. That way should a battery come loose it doesn't hit your altimeter.

Just a thought.

We had a very productive day yesterday and we were able to accomplish all of our goals for the day.
The first thing we did was sand down the fiberglass tubes to eliminate any bumps from the fiberglass. This was a time consuming process but it was well worth it because now our tubes are extremely smooth.
Next, we did a test fit of the motor mount in the airframe (Connor had already cut slots before Cody arrived) and everything fit well.
We marked our airframe for our 1515 rail buttons which would later be screwed into the centering rings.
In the next step, a liberal amount of epoxy was put into the motor mount. We pushed the motor mount in so that the first ring was coated with epoxy. We put epoxy in the airframe before each centering ring to create a strong fillet. The motor mount assembly was put aside to set up while we worked on other rocket projects.
Finally, the last thing we did was drill 1/4" holes for our rail buttons and screw them in. Everything looks good and we should be all set for one more get together.
Sorry we don't have many pictures... we were too busy and Connor's mom wasn't available to take them.

MMT.jpg

mmt3.jpg

mmt1.jpg

Looks good gentlemen!

+2 on that!

When things break loose, allot of things can go wrong.
...or in my case, things had broken loose but FAR worse events were already well underway - an airframe shredding...

OK tonight I started on the external fillets. I'm using 38mm tubing to pull them. I had to use 5min epoxy to fill the gap between the mmt and fins. The first fillet turned out great. Will do more tomorrow.

1425688555571.jpg

Well hello Nose cone!! We received the nose cone from Python Rocketry today. This thing is truly a work of art! Thank you Dan Schwartz. We definitely would recommend going to Dan for any large and Unique cones you need. We still have 4' to add to this beast!

11033790_764344860328694_1972016286_o.jpg
11065105_764345290328651_1415242238_o.jpg
11071190_764344866995360_1231018086_o.jpg
11075278_764344803662033_350656749_n.jpg

We have to give another big thanks to Teddy Chernok at Onebadhawk for donating the harness's for this rocket. I myself have used his harness's before and they are very strong and look great!
Check them out at https://www.Onebadhawk.com

Alrighty... I STARTED to fiberglass the inside of the avionics bay today. I got the first piece of fiberglass in... and then I started to get a massive headache (that still won't go away). So, I won't continue this until I get a respirator (a few days from now).

However... your daily serving of pictures:
11087430_407710499401749_764941471_n.jpg

11106303_407710452735087_1310965368_n.jpg

Alrighty... I STARTED to fiberglass the inside of the avionics bay today. I got the first piece of fiberglass in... and then I started to get a massive headache (that still won't go away). So, I won't continue this until I get a respirator (a few days from now)..........
Are you using polyester resin? If so, stop it and use epoxy. Polyester resin is horribly toxic stuff.

Bob

Are you using polyester resin? If so, stop it and use epoxy. Polyester resin is horribly toxic stuff.

Bob
He's using US composites but it still isn't great. Jes going to get a respirator and continue. Moral to the story don't skimp on safety equipment and always wear a respirator and gloves!!

I am using US Composites 3:1 Medium. Never had a reaction to the stuff until now.

I have never used either, gloves or respirator. I just started using gloves for painting. I found out easier to clean up!

I am using US Composites 3:1 Medium. Never had a reaction to the stuff until now.

You must have breathed in a good amount to get a headache. It happened to me once, where I forgot to open the window and/or turn on the ceiling fan. Make sure you go outside for awhile and breathe in the fresh air. It helps rid the smell from your head.

After reading the stuff I'm breathing in I always wear a respirator for laminating. Normal epoxy use I dont bother as I'm not exposed to it for long.

This is why I stay away from the specialty aerograde epoxies. I have been using MAS boat stuff for over 4 years now and it has little to no smell. It won't be long and I will run out. I will replace it with the same.

This is why I stay away from the specialty aerograde epoxies. I have been using MAS boat stuff for over 4 years now and it has little to no smell. It won't be long and I will run out. I will replace it with the same.

I've been using aeropoxy for a couple years now. Never had an issue with smell or such. I've considered boat epoxies just for the wide availability around here, but since I only order every year or two it's not a huge deal.

I've been using aeropoxy for a couple years now. Never had an issue with smell or such. I've considered boat epoxies just for the wide availability around here, but since I only order every year or two it's not a huge deal.

We all are different. I cant tolerate the smell of Aeropoxy either.

Alrighty... I STARTED to fiberglass the inside of the avionics bay today. I got the first piece of fiberglass in... and then I started to get a massive headache (that still won't go away). So, I won't continue this until I get a respirator (a few days from now).
Just because a product does not require hazmat shipment, it doesn't mean its safe. Before you use an industrial chemical, you should be aware of what the hazards are. If you received an MSDS with your order please read it. If you didn't get one, or lost it, contact US Composites and request one, and they are legally required to supply it free of charge upon request. (A good company has downloads on their website.)

Using a respirator is not something to be taken lightly. They can injure or even kill you if you have certain medical issues, if they do not fit properly, do not have the proper cartridges, or are used in an environment where the chemical can also enter your body through your eyes or skin.

When you work in a legitimate company and your job requires the use of a respirator, your employer is mandated by OSHA to have you medically screened by a doctor to insure that you are physically fit to use a respirator, and if you pass the medical, provide you with the proper type of respirator with the proper type of cartridges, provide you with the proper training to use the respirator, and to make sure you have a respirator professional conduct a fit check of the supplied respirator on you.

Because you are not in a Level A "moon suit", you are still being exposed to the chemicals through your eyes and skin, so just because you can't smell anything do not assume you are safe. Your work area needs to be ventilated and your eyes, and skin need to be protected. Although I could not fine the MSDS on-line, I noticed the 3:1 and 4:1 hardeners are amines which are nasty chemical which can enter through multiple portals so you have to be careful.

Lastly, if you need a respirator, you shouldn't be using this epoxy inside your house unless the area is isolated from the rest of your folks and directly vented outdoors. Just because you have the proper PPE, does not mean everyone else in the house is ok.

He's using US composites but it still isn't great. Jes going to get a respirator and continue. Moral to the story don't skimp on safety equipment and always wear a respirator and gloves!!
Read the above before you continue.

You must have breathed in a good amount to get a headache. It happened to me once, where I forgot to open the window and/or turn on the ceiling fan. Make sure you go outside for awhile and breathe in the fresh air. It helps rid the smell from your head.
The smell is not in your head, bad chemicals are. Just because the smell goes away, the chemicals you inhaled did not. Additionally some chemicals saturate your sense of smell and you no longer notice them. That's really bad because you are getting a big bad dose and you don't realize it.

The only known way to "get rid of the smell" is to avoid generating it in the beginning.

1.) The best way to eliminate the smell is to use a different epoxy system that doesn't generate "smelly vapors".

2.) It that can't be avoided, then you need proper ventilation so you don't smell and breathe the vapors. W

3.) Wearing a respirator is the last resort. Unlike using safety glasses and nitrile gloves which are always necessary precautions with epoxies, needing a respirator in a non-industrial environment means you haven't done 1.) and 2.) first.

Be safe first so you can enjoy life and your hobby.

Bob

It's weird... Connor and I 'glassed all the tubes using the US Composites thin and the fumes really weren't bad...

It's weird... Connor and I 'glassed all the tubes using the US Composites thin and the fumes really weren't bad...

Still there though.. Always smart to wear a respirator.

I have NEVER heard of someone dying from wearing a respirator...If you have medical issues you should know wether your able to use one or not. Furthermore Matt is getting a respirator and will continue to glass the tubes when he has it.

Connor.... read what he said.
Using a respirator is not something to be taken lightly. They can injure or even kill you if you have certain medical issues, if they do not fit properly, do not have the proper cartridges, or are used in an environment where the chemical can also enter your body through your eyes or skin.

You have never heard of it, but it happens. I will do my research before I get one to make sure this isn't my last rocket project ever. :p

Best to just use a fan, circulate the air in the area you are working in. Your headache could have been a coincident. If you get one again while working on it then I guess not. Try the fan first, an ill fit respirator is worse than none at all!

Here is the MSDS for what I am using.
That's the MSDS for the resin. It doesn't say much but what caught my attention is the 209 grams/liter of VOC. There shouldn't be any VOC in a straight undiluted resin. My question is what else in in there? Is it considered propriety and as such is not disclosed in the MSDS or is it one of many hazardous materials that has been declared not hazardous for transportation? In any case, ~21% of the resin is listed as an unspecified Volatile Organic Compound which to me seems like it might be contributing to the problem.

But that's half of it. Where's the MSDS for the hardener which we know contains an amine?

Bob

Still there though.. Always smart to wear a respirator.

I have NEVER heard of someone dying from wearing a respirator...If you have medical issues you should know wether your able to use one or not. Furthermore Matt is getting a respirator and will continue to glass the tubes when he has it.
You are young, and carefree. I'm trying to give you some advice so you can enjoy life and grow old in good health.........

Matt is in CAP and has to undergo/attend mandatory monthly safety education/briefings. He also is familiar with ORM (Operational Risk Management) which a mandatory process conducted before any CAP activity. Now that he is aware of an issue with respirators, he will do his homework.

Best to just use a fan, circulate the air in the area you are working in. Your headache could have been a coincident. If you get one again while working on it then I guess not. Try the fan first, an ill fit respirator is worse than none at all!
If the epoxy is generating an unknown substance that is causing physical distress, circulating the room air doesn't get rid of it or solve the problem....You have to bring in fresh air and exhaust the contaminated air........so the bad stuff does not (bio)accumulate.

Bob

Back