Vindicator Jr

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCrocketfan

Reaction score
I ordered a Vindicator Jr from the BW Wildman sale. It's my first HPR I'm actually going to build with an emphasis on altitude, and I plan to try to clear a mile and exceed mach with it eventually.
I do have 3 questions about it though:
-What do people recommend for chutes for this? I may fly it on G's off concrete with single deploy, so I'd like a large enough chute to land safely, but a chute that will still pack well if using dual deploy.
-Is drogueless ok for flying dual deploy? If not, would an 8-10 inch drogue work well? I'd like it to descend fast until main deployment so there's not much drift.
-Would it need any special reinforcement for flying I800s, I216s, or I540s past mach? It doesn't look like you can add internal fillets, however I would think epoxy would be strong enough…

Thanks for any feedback!
-SC

I ordered a Vindicator Jr from the BW Wildman sale. It's my first HPR I'm actually going to build with an emphasis on altitude, and I plan to try to clear a mile and exceed mach with it eventually.
I do have 3 questions about it though:
-What do people recommend for chutes for this? I may fly it on G's off concrete with single deploy, so I'd like a large enough chute to land safely, but a chute that will still pack well if using dual deploy.
-Is drogueless ok for flying dual deploy? If not, would an 8-10 inch drogue work well? I'd like it to descend fast until main deployment so there's not much drift.
-Would it need any special reinforcement for flying I800s, I216s, or I540s past mach? It doesn't look like you can add internal fillets, however I would think epoxy would be strong enough…

Thanks for any feedback!
-SC

As far as chutes go, I've used a 12" drogue on a rocket that size with no problems. you might even be able to step it down to 9"

Nate

Follow the build directions that are available for most of the Wildman kits. The internal fillets are recommended and if built as directed, it can take any motor that you can fit in it. Breaking Mach and a mile will be NO PROBLEM. You got yourself a great kit.

Great to know it can break mach and a mile no problem. Looking at the instructions for the DS jr which is almost the same kit, you position and glue the CRs, and then add internal fillets after glueing the MMT and fins?

Great to know it can break mach and a mile no problem. Looking at the instructions for the DS jr which is almost the same kit, you position and glue the CRs, and then add internal fillets after glueing the MMT and fins?

That's right, all Jrs go together basically the same. In standard build you will epoxy the recovery harness on the MMT first so the forward CR will need notches filed on the ID to pass the Kevlar straps. Be careful to keep epoxy away from where the fins will seat on the MMT. Dry fitting is your friend. Internal fillets are injected. Have fun with your build!

Back