Uh Oh! I did it now... Apple Kool-Aid drinker now

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well,
Today I got caught up in Black Friday shopping and upgraded my boy's and my cell phones. We are now drinking the Apple flavored Kool-Aid. I got us 5C's for better or worse. We'll see how it works out. Signed up for 2Gig plan and got a free Verizon cheapie 7" tablet. Don't know what I'll do with it, but if figure it out, I'll have it.
Matt will have to show me how sometime, but I don't know how to make a poll (not sure I care, but there it is, an idea).
So:
How's the iPhone working out for you?
If you've had it for a while, still happy with it?
Any hints to help me from going over the gigs per month? I know; don't use it...:eyeroll:
Thanks all,

Adrian

Keep an eye on the data meter. If you are getting close, you can add more data to your plan and not incur the massive overage charges. Verizon is 2 gigs for $10 if you upgrade your plan and $15 for up to 1 gig if you go over.

I have the 5S--good solid product. My friend though, just got a 6+. Screen size is like a Samsung Note series but so much thinner. Amazing screen sharpness and videos look outstanding. Also the Slo-Mo video mode is pretty cool, especially considering we have been golfing the last 5 days--nice for swing analysis.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1417215118.764267.jpg

I'm on my third or fourth iPhone. Also on an old data plan with unlimited data so no problem for me. Best advice to keep data low, use wifi whenever available.

Good product. I have a 5s. No koolaid. Just a good quality product.

It's only Kool-Aide if you become religious about it and claim it's the One Phone To Rule Them All.

Android and iOS are just different. I've used both, I prefer iOS, though there are some things that I find a bit more convenient in Android. I own an iPad, iPhone 5S and two Android tablets. I use them all.

...and anyone who wants to claim Apple is an evil empire doesn't really understand what Google is up to. No better, no worse -- they're both businesses out to drive revenue.

-Kevin

It's only Kool-Aide if you become religious about it and claim it's the One Phone To Rule Them All.

Android and iOS are just different. I've used both, I prefer iOS, though there are some things that I find a bit more convenient in Android. I own an iPad, iPhone 5S and two Android tablets. I use them all.

...and anyone who wants to claim Apple is an evil empire doesn't really understand what Google is up to. No better, no worse -- they're both businesses out to drive revenue.

-Kevin

Bingo. Competition is good. Let us support both.

Android and iOS are just different.... I use them all.

What he said

Anyone knows the real evil empire is based in Redmond. A part of my job is licensing and until you have tangled with Microsoft licensing, you don't know the meaning of the word malignant.

...unless you handle Oracle contracts.

I was mostly using the Kool-Aid term with tongue firmly in cheek, as I know that most of you would pick up on it. I am supplied a Android smart phone for work, but thought it was time to get my own smart phone. The work phone is showing it's age, as some apps are no longer working at all (maps, mostly. The one I used most. Go figure). So... I thought I'd see how the other side of the fence is. My brother has an iPhone 5s also, and he hasn't destroyed it, so that in itself is fair praise. He was pretty hard on most of his previous phones.
I'll let you know when I need help with things on it. So far, I figured out how to set up my wi fy, and got my contacts from the old phone loaded. It comes with a lot more apps than the Android had in it, so I don't think I'll be installing any quite yet. No, not even the TRF app.

Adrian

-Kevin

Exactly...I've seen almost cult-like reverence from both iOS and Android users (though in my limited sampling, more so from the iOS camp) and it's disturbing at times. We were firmly in the WebOS cult until we just couldn't take lagging behind anymore...

They are pieces of technology, meant to make our lives easier, more productive and more fun. Means to an end, and not the end itself.

You can consider us device agnostics....iPads, Touchpads, Pre3, Nexus 5, Kindle Fire....we run a bit of them all...

FC

Exactly...I've seen almost cult-like reverence from both iOS and Android users (though in my limited sampling, more so from the iOS camp) and it's disturbing at times.

I know as many rabid Android fans as I do Apple fans, at this point. I find they're all wearing blinders.

We were firmly in the WebOS cult until we just couldn't take lagging behind anymore...

I've never used it, but I have a rocketry buddy who has who loves it.

-Kevin

We have 3 5s and 2 5c. An iPad Air, iPad mini, iMac, MacBook Pro, 3 iPods and a partridge in a pear tree 🎅. Not anti PC here...have an HP laptop at work. Just prefer iOS over android or windows. As long as they fit your needs, both are good. I had a Samsung something or other. It was okay.

iOS seems elegant to me and is a cinch to use.

Mike

Wait... you talking about me? This matt? :)
Well,
Today I got caught up in Black Friday shopping and upgraded my boy's and my cell phones. We are now drinking the Apple flavored Kool-Aid. I got us 5C's for better or worse. We'll see how it works out. Signed up for 2Gig plan and got a free Verizon cheapie 7" tablet. Don't know what I'll do with it, but if figure it out, I'll have it.
Matt will have to show me how sometime, but I don't know how to make a poll (not sure I care, but there it is, an idea).
So:
How's the iPhone working out for you?
If you've had it for a while, still happy with it?
Any hints to help me from going over the gigs per month? I know; don't use it...:eyeroll:
Thanks all,

Adrian

If anyone wants to send me their old Android smart phone (preferably running Jelly Bean), I need one to test the ThrustCurve.org app I'm building. (I've been using the simulators, but I also need to test with a real device.) Please PM me if you'd like to contribute a phone for testing.

Also an iOS guy here, but mostly because I've been using them since they came out. My wife is a heavy user of maps and we almost switched when Apple replaced the Google maps with their own app, but it turned out to be easier to just switch to the Google maps app.

FWIW, I don't think the market is driven any longer by fanaticism. It seems to me that smart phones are now a commodity and sales are driven primarily by price (see the latest IDC report on market share).

Last edited:
I walked into the office today with an iPhone 6, iPad 2, and MacBook Pro... My server room and 90% of the computers I support are HP (including my work laptop)... Computers/phones/tablets are tools, and whatever works for the user, I'll try to accommodate (within reason...)

I use an iPhone exclusively. I hate using any other type of phone.

On the other hand, with laptops? I ONLY use a computer running Windows 8.1. I hate Macs. I hate them with a vengeance.

I've got a work-issued iPhone 5S. It works fine but is boring. My wife has a personal iPhone 5S. It frequently stops replicating email, necessitating removal of the account in question and re-setting it up. This happens with her work, gmail, and yahoo accounts randomly. Really obnoxious because I'm her tech support.

For me, on my personal cell phone I'm running Android for about 5 years now. Love it. I run a rooted custom OS (currently: SlimKat) and I'm thinking to learn to theme to tune things just the way I want them. I prefer Android over iOS because of the customization of the home screens and ability to have what information I want displayed, where I want it, the way I want it. I find the iOS way of just sticking all the apps out there to be juvenile.

That said, they all work. I've stopped getting into religious wars over things like this... :) For me, cell phone stuff is a hobby. For others, it's a lifestyle. For most, they are appliances. iOS devices are very good appliances.

Marc

Last edited:
Personally I don't like either

As I primarily use it for work, almost nothing I want or enjoy comes to me on the mobile phone and I don't think the OS has any impact on the suck wind content I get.

Back