Starters for small diameter SU motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Other than Copperheads, are there any commercially available starters that fit into the AT 18mm and 24mm SU motors? First Fires seem to be too thick.

Not sure, but I believe the forthcoming Q2G2's should work. Anybody tried them in a small composite; when they were available :)?

I had no luck with unmodified Q2s in composites. They might work with Blue Thunder propellant but haven't tried that. I know they were marketed for use in small composites but I really think they are only good for BP... without modification, that is. The pyrogen head is wayyy too small and it "pops" rather than burning long and hot. They work great for small composites when dipped in a little Rocketflite pyrogen though...

And yes, Rocketflite starters are the way to go for small motors! The FS-12-LA wire is tiny!

Other than Copperheads, are there any commercially available starters that fit into the AT 18mm and 24mm SU motors? First Fires seem to be too thick.
The ones that currently ship with AT D10s and E15s (which are not copperheads) seem to work fine.

Estes "Sonic" ignitors - the ones intended for Estes composite motors.

I'm not really sure if they will fit the smallest AT single use motors, but they are pretty small and worth a try. Best price is usually at AC supply.

002305_main_4_1.jpg

002305_package_1.jpg

I recently got a 2 Pack of SU 24mm E20 Motors that came with the First Fire Jr., but that did'nt light the Motor, so I stuck an Estes Sonic in there and it worked fine.

I'm not really sure if they will fit the smallest AT single use motors, but they are pretty small and worth a try. Best price is usually at AC supply.

The Hobby Lobby's in Dallas carry the Estes Sonic igniters. I've snagged a few packages with the 40% off coupon. They are indeed really skinny and could very well work for this application. Nice idea.

This is what I have used to light the 24mm E20's using my Estes controller. They fit into the motors just fine and can be lit using the 6-volt controller. Otherwise, when using the 12-volt equipment at a club launch, I've used the igniter supplied with the E20 motor, which I think is a First Fire Jr., and those were easy to fit in the motor as well.

I recently got a 2 Pack of SU 24mm E20 Motors that came with the First Fire Jr., but that did'nt light the Motor, so I stuck an Estes Sonic in there and it worked fine.

If you were using a 6-volt Estes controller, it won't light the First Fire Jr. They need 12 volts.

If you were using a 6-volt Estes controller, it won't light the First Fire Jr. They need 12 volts.

I only have 12 Volt. The First Fire Jr. Lit just fine, but it just blew itself out of the Motor with a little Pop and a Puff of Smoke.
I'll go find my Video of it happening.

[video=youtube;DK7iI3qqR94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7iI3qqR94[/video]

Last edited:
I only have 12 Volt. The First Fire Jr. Lit just fine, but it just blew itself out of the Motor with a little Pop and a Puff of Smoke.
I'll go find my Video of it happening.

[video=youtube;DK7iI3qqR94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7iI3qqR94[/video]

It can happen sometimes...

It can happen sometimes...

Yeah, and I'm not turned off by the FF Jr. Igniters, because others seem to have good luck with them. I'll try the remaining FF on my remaining E20. Worst that can happen is it does the same thing and I have to use a Sonic. I bought 5 Packs of Sonics awhile back so I have plenty.

Last edited:
Back