How do Rocketeers Shave? (for those who shave)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you shave?

• Electric Razor

• Cartridge Multiblade

• Old School Double-Edge razor

• Really old school straight razor

• I don't shave

Results are only viewable after voting.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Just curious as I am investigating alternate shaving technology. If you shave, what is your process?

DE/Straight is the only way to go. You only need one good edge, not 17 crappy ones. Real shaving soap instead of foam or gel helps quite a bit too.

Hot water, pre-shave oil, soap with a brush, one quick pass if it's been a while, final light pass with a sharp edge to finish.

At $0.07 per edge, and $16 per year in soap makes shaving quite cheap.

YMMV

Strange question!

I guess rocketeers shave the same way as any other bloke - reluctantly!

Electric razors don't work well, old fashioned razors are not available in the UK. So that leaves cartridge blades - a complete rip off considering the cost to buy vs. the cost to make!
Maybe you have an answer? Please let us know.

SO.

Next up: "How many legs do you put into your pants at a time, if you wear pants?"

Double edge and cartridges. The key to a good shave is a sharp blade and good cream. I like Taylor of Bonds Street out of London.

I started with an electric razor but found it too irritating and inefficient. Moved to some of the genius products of the early 1970s and finally settled on the Gillette Atra Twin Bladed cartridges.

I've had a full beard since April 1978 but continue to use the store brand twin cartridge that fits my original Atra handle to keep the lower neck portion shaved.

A single blade razor is easier to maintain (clean out after use) but I had settled on the twin-blade by the time the Saturday Night Live parody appeared on their first episode.
Announcer: The Triple-Trac. Because you'll believe anything.
When the first three-bladed cartridge came out, it really did seem silly. The ones they make now with 5 or 6 blades come across as ludicrous. If that's what you use, it works for you and you enjoy it, more power to you.

DE/Straight is the only way to go. You only need one good edge, not 17 crappy ones. Real shaving soap instead of foam or gel helps quite a bit too.

Hot water, pre-shave oil, soap with a brush, one quick pass if it's been a while, final light pass with a sharp edge to finish.

At $0.07 per edge, and $16 per year in soap makes shaving quite cheap.

YMMV

What brand do you use for the blade?

Double edge throw aways. Ironically, buying the whole razor (handle and blade) as a disposable is frequently cheaper than buying the blade cartridges alone (although perhaps less environmentally friendly). For me, double edge seems better than single, but going up to 3 (or more) blades doesn't seem to add much except for a higher cost.

What brand do you use for the blade?

I like the Wilkinson Sword's, as they are available locally, and come with a safe used blade container. If you invest in a dedicated sharps container, you can get them in bulk much cheaper (but without the storage device). The Swords also have good quality control and come more than sharp enough for me.

I have a friend with very sensitive skin, and he swears by Feather blades. I know Feather's have a very good reputation, but I've never tried them due to cost.

Luckily, DE blades are cheap enough that you can shop them rather easily. WalMart, Target, and local Drugstores have all, for me, been good sources of blades. In bulk, Amazon is king, of course.

As seldom as I can get away with it. If could grow a beard I would.

If someone comes up with a shot that eliminates beard growth, I am in.

Very old Shick injector. Blades are becoming hard to find. The stainless blades are good for about a month.
Many years ago, mid '60s, I bought a wind-up razor that used twin edge Gillette blades. The spring drove an oscillating drive that moved the blade back and forth so it sliced through the hairs instead of pulling through them. It died in the late '70s and I have never found a replacement. Best shave I ever had.

I use a cartridge razor, but I use camping/travel shaving cream because it really keeps my face super moist better than most gels. I haven't tried a brush and soap though.

Double edge throw aways. Ironically, buying the whole razor (handle and blade) as a disposable is frequently cheaper than buying the blade cartridges alone (although perhaps less environmentally friendly). For me, double edge seems better than single, but going up to 3 (or more) blades doesn't seem to add much except for a higher cost.

Exactly... OL JR :)

I started buying from Dorco after seeing a thread on the forum. They supply the blades for the $1 shave club.

They work great and are considerably less expensive compared to buying blades at the store.

I use the 6 blade with the trimmer.

https://www.dorcousa.com/

Oh yeah, get an extra 30% off through Sunday at midnight with the code: BFriday30

I shaved once in the last decade. Boy was that terrible. Supposedly, I had to be clean shaven for a safety course that work signed me up for. Turns out it wasn't necessary and work has let my certification lapse, and I don't feel the need to remind them... :wink:

Adrian

Brush with soap and/or cream
double edge or single edge razor

I do have and have used straight razors, but the maintenance (stropping, etc..) if rough on my tendinitis and I just can't use them.

Now, I am guilty of using a cartridge on my head shave every now and then. But if I use a cartridge on my neck I get bad razor bumps

Ceramic bowl, Shaving soap, Straight Razor. Smooth, no ingrowns, no burn, no lumps or bumps. And I only had to buy 1 blade....ever!

I did straight for a couple of years. Have quite an antique collection now but they old ones are getting way too pricey. Modern versions are fine. Stropping is an art and have to do the hot cloths to soften the beard. A necessity. Then have at it. Takes a light touch. Don't do it anymore 'cause I don't have a place to hang a strop in a remodeled bathroom and don't have the time. Give me an appreciation as to why the barbers made more of a living with shaving and why more men had beards in a bygone era. Kurt

Mug and a brush. One bar of soap costs a buck or two and lasts me for years. I use double edge cartridges or cheap disposables on sale. Since half my face is beard one razor lasts me for a month or three but I always keep it clean and dry and run it backward on my hand to get the crud out from between the blades after each use.

I have been wet shaving for over seven years now and would never go back to disposables. A good quality tallow soap, safety razor, and brush are so rewarding and good for your skin. The smell fantastic too. The only way to go if you ask me.

Tried just about everything--any kind of blade just tears up my face. Most electrics do a poor job--tried Norelco & Braun with similar results. Then I tried Panasonic electric shavers--shazam. Closer than any blade shave I've ever used and no irritation. This Proraso shaving cream also helps a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what you pay in replacement heads in one year, You can invest in a strop, razor, ceramic bowl or mug and 6 cakes of shaving soap and a good Badger Brush.
The only thing you to keep buying is the cake soap, which here in the US you can buy 2 for every can of creme.
Then you will know what a good shave feels like. Not convinced? Spend 10 or 12 bucks and go get a pro-shave some time. It only takes once.

Back