CJ's "PUNISHER" build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait until you have the parts in hand and see just how tight the seam lines really are, the seams on my kit are very tight and smooth with little work. This new tubing is great to work with.

We thought about that.....actually for quite a while. And this is where it stands:

1. For those just getting into building fiberglass rockets & Dual Deploy [HED] the vent band keeps it simple & moves the sampling holes even further back, allows for standard placement of switches or twist and tape. With out it [vent band] where are you going to tape switch wire? Can't tape to NC or body tube, or that would prevent separation of parts at apogee or main.
It is designed as a simple, fun, easy to build and entry into HED [DD out of nose cone].

2. Those that want to go extreme can just toss it, use the half-hole method for switch/wire, no vents in NC & accelerometer based altimeters, magnetic switch or what ever floats the boat. Builders in this category are already versed in the finer dark arts of "extreme" building and can go it on their own. But then there are many just wanting something simple and fun.

So by supplying a vent band, it can be built as a sport flier or just toss it and go extreme with your own design, everyone is a winner this way and no one is left out. Either way an economical kit with a lot of versatility in the way it can be built.
Heck it's a great flier just using motor eject & you have a place for an altimeter to see how high it goes, with out sacrificing length or weight to a payload section.

It would make a heck of a sustainer in 2-stage ....short..compact all performance.

Hey Jim,

Would you mind doing a post on how your altimeter bay is set up? I'm interested in how the sled is secured, as well as how and where you place the ejection charge(s) and tether recovery harness tether points.

Thanks! :)

I did already....go back to post 165-166 tells everything... even charge sizes.

Take a look, if I missed anything you wish to know......ask away. Charges are done by putting starter into nitrile glove finger tip full of BP then taping shut.

Charge is just left hanging out from BP or taped to it see the sticky at top of High power for 3in DarkStar...look in index there are very detailed pics of how I do this

Last edited:
I did already....go back to post 165-166 tells everything... even charge sizes.

Take a look, if I missed anything you wish to know......ask away.

Yeah - now I feel like an idiot. I was just looking back and found post 165. :facepalm: I was on my way back here to update my post saying I found it, but you'd already replied.

Last edited:
Jim - maybe I missed it but did you put a vent hole in NC?

Yes I did! Good catch , I forgot to put in build. Went back to post #161 and added it.

Vent hole is same as shear pins, [7/64] place half-way between NC tip and the top of ac-bay/couple when installed.

I flew it yesterday on a AT 54mm J-275. Strato.... 5,030 ft. Missleworks RRC3....5028!
Today was low ceiling at 3,000 ft. Just barely went into colds for few seconds. AT 38mm I-435 T [one of my favorite AT loads] Strato....3350ft. MissleWorks RRC3....3346ft. with a quickness!

And ...Ummmmm.... test flight of the Punisher special edition NSL rocket. Loc Paper airframe 38mm, Loc NC G-10 fins [1/16] 29mmm motor mount.

Kevlar cord 12 ft. rail buttons.....29mm motor mount

Coming soon!

Went up on a AT 24mm F-26 only weighs 12 oz, with motor. flew with a quickness to around 900-1100 ft on this motor. next month on a 6-grain dual thrust 24mm and a 3 grain 29......this thing is really, really cool little rocket!

Also tested the NSL special edition "SkyWolf".... split fin....yes it whistles. 38 airframe ...29 motor mount.

More on that later too!

Last edited:
Thanks!
Will these special editions be exclusive to the Wildman family of rockets?

No...they are not at the moment. That's to be decided
They will be sold by me/PM [I'll put them up here first]& our club for NSL sport launch, which is hosted by us this year over Memorial day weekend. They will come complete with vinyl decals, chute, shock cord etc.

Everything in developmental stage for now....website, ordering price etc. coming soon. We have till end of May.

Last time this was done at our club we sold out in one day 58 kits. we are doing more this time. Also doing a special 29mm blank....blah....blank... deal for the first 25 Kit buyers.

It will be really "SPECIAL" LOl!

Last edited:
1) Full size Punisher on a AT 54mm J-275
2) Punisher Mini on a AT 24mm F-26
3) SkyWolf static
4) SkyWolf launch on a CTI G106SK

DSC00107.jpg

one.jpg

Punishermini1.jpg

Punisher2.jpg

Here's a question: where would you put a tracker? (Like, say, a BRB non-GPS unit.) Tethered to the recovery harness, in the ebay next to the altimeter, (with appropriate interference testing) in a nose cone bay (I'm picturing a small tube epoxied to the nc up above the shoulder/step that the coupler tube butts up against.)

Here's a question: where would you put a tracker? (Like, say, a BRB non-GPS unit.) Tethered to the recovery harness, in the ebay next to the altimeter, (with appropriate interference testing) in a nose cone bay (I'm picturing a small tube epoxied to the nc up above the shoulder/step that the coupler tube butts up against.)

I don't know which rocket you are referring to so:
Punisher 3in. I always tape it to apogee shock cord, even with a 6 xl case there is no problem with the Comm-Spec or Marshall. I never fly with out one.

There is plenty of room in the av-bay coupler. NC might be tight with the chute and shock cord. I have no reference to help on that one.

NSL Punisher [38mm Loc tubing] airframe is 17in. During beta testing I had tracker in it.[just in case, ya never know!] 1/8 Kevlar shock cord 12 ft.....15in chute & nomex. With all that it's still a cave in there with plenty of room for either of above mentioned trackers.

Same for the SkyWolf as above [38mm Loc tubing] etc.

Is the mini dual deploy?

Won't come that way, but easily converted. Just add a Loc tube payload & coupler with BP's.
If there is enough interest, I could offer one packaged. The thinking for now is most of them will be used as Sport flyers on smaller motors where DD is not needed. It certainly can handle a 6xl case, but based on what I saw over the weekend it would hit over a mile .

Mine only weighed 12.6 oz. with a motor[F-24-7] in it. The airframe tube is the same stuff MM are made of...thick wall Kraft and plenty strong.

Last edited:
This is a great build/discussion thread. It has some great Q&A throughout. I found it by searching for "dual deployment" and was able to answer my own questions about "switch bands". I never knew them as "swtich bands" but OK, now I do. Now I plan to leave them out of some builds. :cool:

Thanks for the thread CJ. Much appreciated!

I believe they are prototypes to be released at National Sport Launch in Orangeburg, SC over Memorial day weekend.

what are these NSL rockets?

They are small versions of high power rocket designs made specifically as "Commemorative NSL 2015 Special Editions".

NSL is NAR's "National Sport Launch" or fun launch, where the bulk of flying is just for fun. No official competitions or scale events.

Don't be surprised if an occasional drag race occurs though!

Both Punisher & SkyWolf will be 38mm Cardboard renditions of their larger High Power brothers. They are designed to fly on 24 or 29mm motors...light weight and easy to construct. I but mine in a bit over an hour not counting watching glue dry...LOL

Available in limited quantity ...probably less than 50 of each for the lucky, that get one. Complete with vinyl, chutes and Kevlar. You add paint and lugs or buttons. We are still working on components and price.

They all will have the "NSL 2105" logo decal included. So along with the standard T-shirt or ball cap..you can purchase one of these to fly while you wear your gear...LOL More details will be posted as things are firmed up, as how to and where to purchase.

Pics of them in post #189 above.

Last edited:
Come fly the NSL rockets with us in Orangeburg. I will have the site up by NLT Sunday am.

I really like the whistle of Don's rocket, but Jim's is a slick little rocket.

Got a closer shot of Sky-Wolf taking off. She was designed around the idea of Whistling.

Just finishing up on the 38mm NSL Punisher decals.

10931417_849949598399916_3136813926456583849_n.jpg

Is the Top Flite X-chute the only one you have used so far, or the only one that will fit in the cone? Making a list of my next building supplies and want to be sure I don't screw it up by getting too big a chute.

Anyone know how tight the Giant Leap panel chutes pack? Really like to try one, but afraid it won't pack or if I get one that will pack if it will be too small.

Thanks for the great thread. It has been informative and entertaining as well. Still a bit freaked by the pic early in the thread.

Wonder how many of Punishers will show up at AIRFest this year. I'll have mine!

See ya,
Rod

Hey Jim,

DD is usually set up with the ejection charge at the "bottom" of the payload, blowing the main out as if it were a cannonball. With HED it looks like the cone gets blown off the "shoulder/coupler," relying on the inertia of the chute to get it out of the cone. What are the chances that the charge blows the chute even farther into the cone or that the chute gets wedged in the cone to begin with? It looks a little more iffy than the cannonball scenario. Any design thoughts on that?

I suppose we have the same issue in standard DD with the drogue, but the drogue is smaller to begin with (so less likely to wedge), the space is usually bigger, and if motor deploy is available as backup, the drogue becomes a cannonball if it does not deploy from the altimeter.

Perhaps the shroud line attachment should be as close as possible to the avbay so that the chute can't follow the cone, i.e. the bulk of the shock cord is between the chute and the cone eyebolt, with only a little shock cord between the chute and the avbay eyebolt. That way the cone can become a projectile, but the chute does not have the slack to follow it.

Last edited:
Looking at CJs earlier posts on HED, he recommends packing the shock cord in front to assist with pulling the parachute bundle out. I have taken it one step further and also wire the primary deployment charge in front of the chute to be in push mode.

Is the Top Flite X-chute the only one you have used so far, or the only one that will fit in the cone? Making a list of my next building supplies and want to be sure I don't screw it up by getting too big a chute.

Anyone know how tight the Giant Leap panel chutes pack? Really like to try one, but afraid it won't pack or if I get one that will pack if it will be too small.

Thanks for the great thread. It has been informative and entertaining as well. Still a bit freaked by the pic early in the thread.

Wonder how many of Punishers will show up at AIRFest this year. I'll have mine!

See ya,
Rod

Standard 50in. also fits...I only had the X-chute to use at the time, so that a what I used. No other reason.

Hey Jim,

DD is usually set up with the ejection charge at the "bottom" of the payload, blowing the main out as if it were a cannonball. With HED it looks like the cone gets blown off the "shoulder/coupler," relying on the inertia of the chute to get it out of the cone. What are the chances that the charge blows the chute even farther into the cone or that the chute gets wedged in the cone to begin with? It looks a little more iffy than the cannonball scenario. Any design thoughts on that?

I suppose we have the same issue in standard DD with the drogue, but the drogue is smaller to begin with (so less likely to wedge), the space is usually bigger, and if motor deploy is available as backup, the drogue becomes a cannonball if it does not deploy from the altimeter.

Perhaps the shroud line attachment should be as close as possible to the avbay so that the chute can't follow the cone, i.e. the bulk of the shock cord is between the chute and the cone eyebolt, with only a little shock cord between the chute and the avbay eyebolt. That way the cone can become a projectile, but the chute does not have the slack to follow it.

Kevin all this is old news:

Been flying the Jimbo Jart for almost a year....set up same way, no issues what-so-ever and there are a bunch of those out there flying.
Your just over-thinking all this. Pack cord first, chute next and go fly. Charge blows the cone off coupler & it all streches out fine. Chute is wrapped burrito style so it will slide right out. Just pack things correctly, even a normal DD set up requires that to function.
The inside of cone is glass smooth, so nothing can get caught. One can never, say never, because there is AWAYS the chance something can go wrong, but not in the normal event of things.

I've been sticking chutes in NC for minimum diameter build for years, this is where the idea came from....several others been doing the same over time also. If one is not sure....... that's what ground testing is for.

Thanks, Jim.

The whole HED concept looks very efficient both part-wise and weight-wise. Ever since the nosecones started shipping with a coupler instead of a shoulder, I thought it opened up lots of new possibilities.

Question on the nose cone fit -

Are people finding the coupler to nose cone fit tight on theirs?

I ask because I just got mine yesterday, and was surprised to find that the coupler (which is essentially a nose-cone shoulder) fits REALLY tight into the cone. Way tighter than I would have expected, given all the hype about the sweet fit of the new tubing, and the fact that this is supposed to slide apart easily at deployment. I can deal with this of course - I'll have to sand that end of the coupler down (quite a bit) to make it fit right, which is not all that uncommon to have to do with any kit I suppose. I guess I was expecting a much smoother fit than normal (again, given all the hype about the new tubing), and this one is actually quite a bit worse than normal.

Please don't take this as a complaint - I'm just seeing if this is the norm (and this amount "fitting" on my part is required with these cones) or if perhaps the parts I got might be out of spec a bit.

It should be noted that the fit of that coupler to the airframe IS perfect - butter smooth, exactly as I was expecting. The fin profiling is nicely done, the small parts (such as the stainless eyebolt and the phenolic tip) are sweet, and yes the new tubing looks really nice. This is a very sweet kit - and at the BSS price it was a steal.
Nice job, Tim and Jim, bringing this to market!

s6

s6

I had a similar problem with another rocket. Talked to Tim and he told me to try 2 things. 1) try the other end of coupler and 2) wet sand. Both helped considerably!

I ask because I just got mine yesterday, and was surprised to find that the coupler (which is essentially a nose-cone shoulder) fits REALLY tight into the cone. Way tighter than I would have expected, given all the hype about the sweet fit of the new tubing, and the fact that this is supposed to slide apart easily at deployment. I can deal with this of course - I'll have to sand that end of the coupler down (quite a bit) to make it fit right, which is not all that uncommon to have to do with any kit I suppose. I guess I was expecting a much smoother fit than normal (again, given all the hype about the new tubing), and this one is actually quite a bit worse than normal.

Please don't take this as a complaint - I'm just seeing if this is the norm (and this amount "fitting" on my part is required with these cones) or if perhaps the parts I got might be out of spec a bit.

It should be noted that the fit of that coupler to the airframe IS perfect - butter smooth, exactly as I was expecting. The fin profiling is nicely done, the small parts (such as the stainless eyebolt and the phenolic tip) are sweet, and yes the new tubing looks really nice. This is a very sweet kit - and at the BSS price it was a steal.
Nice job, Tim and Jim, bringing this to market!

s6

Yes, mine is very tight too. Will require some sanding to make a fit I would trust to deploy. I cleaned both the coupler and the inside of the cone and then one end of the coupler fit ok, but still too tight.

Yes the coupler is a little tight in the cone but really good on the body tube .
Sand the coupler not the cone it's also easier if you wet sand it's won't take much.

I just received a Punisher in the mail today. Awesome kit!

I do have question: as you can see in the pic, the base of my NC tip is kind of chipped.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421810647.744535.jpg
Does anyone else have a tip like this? I'm wondering as now in order to get a good finish on the rocket I'll need to glue the tip on and use some filler removing the ability to remove the tip.

Back