CJ's "PUNISHER" build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a Punisher in the mail today. Awesome kit!

I do have question: as you can see in the pic, the base of my NC tip is kind of chipped.
View attachment 252450
Does anyone else have a tip like this? I'm wondering as now in order to get a good finish on the rocket I'll need to glue the tip on and use some filler removing the ability to remove the tip.

My tips look fine, but to be clear, no one else has been gluing the tip and there is no advantage to doing so?

Thanks, good to know. I wedged mine together last night after sanding down the tip a little. To echo stealth6 from earlier, yes this nose is the coolest part of a great all around kit! It will require more sanding to make the AV bay fit correctly, but mine is coming together nicely.

I learned a neat trick from Nic while building my second Punisher here in Oz .

after a bit of sanding...use jewelers rouge and a polishing wheel to finish up the sanded coupler.
I have never had such a smooth perfect fit on a coupler.
This method is fast to .

My wife got a package from somewhere on the 17th. Based on how cagey she was when I asked her about the package I was expecting (not rocket related - and missing - gotta deal with that now.) I'm pretty sure the package she got (and hid before I came home) is a Christmas gift for me. I'm HOPING it's a Punisher from the Wacky Wednesday Second Chance Sale. Guess I'll find out next week :)

Can someone who has received theirs weigh the parts and post it so I can update the .ork file I've been playing with?

Do you have the part number for the correct tail coat. I'm thinking about going the same route

Latest "Punisher" Ozzie version.

Built down under, caller "Homer".

Signed by Homer Hickam the rocket boys book writer, and movie version "October Sky"

Winner of First Crazy Jim drag race in Australia.

12,668 ft on K-815 CTI 54mm 6xl skid.

Spanked 'em all......badly!
Me.... Punisher......Scoop[Dave Couzons]
Homer, pet aligator Albert, Me," Doc of Loc" Barry Lynch

DSCN4361.jpg

DSCN4362.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4368.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4341.jpg
    DSCN4341.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I am making progress on my Punisher also. But have a question about the fit of the shear pins in the fiberglass.

I went to a local surplus store and after going through a large number of drill bits finally found two that were the size mentioned, 7/64. I had the number wrote down and had access to a drill size guide to verify I had the right bits. I ordered one hundred of the 2-56 nylon screws from e-bay and now that I have the screws and drill bits together I'm puzzled by the fit.

It looked to me like the drill bit is a bit large so I did a test hole on a scrap of basswood. Sure enough the hole was too large for the screw threads. The screw just slipped in with out any force. Maybe I got the wrong size screws? Don't know, but it isn't going to be a major deal.

So now what I am going to do to fix this, is take the screws with me to the same surplus store and using the drill guide again pick the drill bit to fit the screws.

My question is, Just how tight is the fit of these screws in the drilled hole in the fiberglass?

Will start ordering electronics soon also. Can't wait. This is my largest project so far and I don't want to screw it up.

And that GIANT V2 in the background was amazing to see the flight videos! They are still posting more! Had to be even more impressive in person!

I think that should be 5/64 for 2-256 and 7/64 for 4-40 pins...I'm not home yet will check when I get there. In LA now.

They should be a bit snug and need light tapping with something to put into place.
Yes the V-2 was mighty impressive and the amount of libation passed around that night was even more impressive!

Contrary to the new method being used by many...I still stick to 80 grit and mechanical bonding. Has not failed me yet, nor any of my flying friends who have pushed the extreme's.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a trip of a life time Jim! Is this the same group that traveled to I think it was LDRS at Argonia few years back? I visited with them awhile and bought one of their can coozies. They were busy building wildman kits.

Won't get to work on the Punisher much until the weekend so no rush, get home safe and unwind from the travel.

The correct drill size for 2-56 thread is a # 51 number drill (.067") if you want to actually tap the holes (I do.) After I tap the holes I enlarge the holes on the outside of the tube to make it easier to insert the screws if there is some misalignment due to expansion or contraction at the field. I also put a tiny amount of thin CA in the threads on the nosecone and avbay to strengthen the material around the threads and re-tap after the CA is dry. this is also a good way to repair threads.

A 1/16" bit (.0625") is close to a #51 bit but too small and a 5/64" (.0781") is quite a bit too large but may give the slop you want if you are just pushing the 2-56 Nylon screws in. I'd invest in a # drill set (#1-60). They come in so handy.

I am making progress on my Punisher also. But have a question about the fit of the shear pins in the fiberglass.

I went to a local surplus store and after going through a large number of drill bits finally found two that were the size mentioned, 7/64. I had the number wrote down and had access to a drill size guide to verify I had the right bits. I ordered one hundred of the 2-56 nylon screws from e-bay and now that I have the screws and drill bits together I'm puzzled by the fit.

It looked to me like the drill bit is a bit large so I did a test hole on a scrap of basswood. Sure enough the hole was too large for the screw threads. The screw just slipped in with out any force. Maybe I got the wrong size screws? Don't know, but it isn't going to be a major deal.

So now what I am going to do to fix this, is take the screws with me to the same surplus store and using the drill guide again pick the drill bit to fit the screws.

My question is, Just how tight is the fit of these screws in the drilled hole in the fiberglass?

Will start ordering electronics soon also. Can't wait. This is my largest project so far and I don't want to screw it up.

Last edited:
Yep a 5/64 bit is the one. Got the nose cone pins done, the nose cone vent done, the alignment mark done.

My coupler to main body tube is really smooth but maybe a bit too slick. Meaning I wonder if it may be a good idea to pin that side to prevent separation at burn out. Also is there a vent hole in the main body tube?

Thanks for the help. Been a great build so far. With your build steps and tips Jim it's pretty hard to mess it up.

My coupler to main body tube is really smooth but maybe a bit too slick. Meaning I wonder if it may be a good idea to pin that side to prevent separation at burn out. Also is there a vent hole in the main body tube?

Yes there is another vent hole in the main body tube. I drilled an 1/8" hole about 1" below the coupler. Mine was also a loose fit. Just use masking tape for a friction fit.

Just to contribute a little bit, here's my OpenRocket file for the Punisher. A few items of note -
  • I modeled the NC as a shorter VK with a cylindrical extension where the coupler slides in. This makes the shape and appearance fairly correct.
  • Masses and dimensions were generated based on my actual kit. There are no mass overrides; I usually tweak non-significant dimensions instead.
  • Shifted the MMT aft to allow for the AeroPack tailcone retainer, which reduced the Cd by about .04. For non-tailcone version, just delete it and shift the MMT back up, and add regular AeroPack retainer.

View attachment Wildman_Punisher_dbc.ork

Hey CJ,

Glad you were able to visit Thunda.

You really have to explain though - you talked one of your competitors (Jase) out of flying 'Miss Riley' (for ostensibly good reasons on an M) - otherwise, she would have punished 'Homer' (a K, ahem) in an sparky M drag race! 😜

We look forward to the next Thunda and your return down under. When you visit again, we will launch an F motor against your K. You have to expect this, national pride is at stake. 😄

Thanks for the great build thread too.

Just to contribute a little bit, here's my OpenRocket file for the Punisher. A few items of note -
  • I modeled the NC as a shorter VK with a cylindrical extension where the coupler slides in. This makes the shape and appearance fairly correct.
  • Masses and dimensions were generated based on my actual kit. There are no mass overrides; I usually tweak non-significant dimensions instead.
  • Shifted the MMT aft to allow for the AeroPack tailcone retainer, which reduced the Cd by about .04. For non-tailcone version, just delete it and shift the MMT back up, and add regular AeroPack retainer.

And there was rejoicing in the Land ...

Thanks Duck of the Cave !

Kenny

Just grabbed a Punisher at a silent auction... Sweet... Wanna know how much? Nah, I won't tell ya anyway. It'd make you jealous. But every penny went to a great cause.

Hey Jim,

I'm not opposed to getting West Systems epoxy, but I have a ton of Aeropoxy around. Do you think Aeropoxy would be fine for internal injections? I will use Proline 4500 on the external fin fillets. Thanks.

Hey Jim,

I'm not opposed to getting West Systems epoxy, but I have a ton of Aeropoxy around. Do you think Aeropoxy would be fine for internal injections? I will use Proline 4500 on the external fin fillets. Thanks.

I just use US Composites epoxy. It's much cheaper. But then again I'm poor. LOL!
What ever works for you . Aeropoxy is some strong stuff.

Hey Jim,

I have used it. It has a longer pot life so you will have keep the fins held in place longer.

Hey Jim,

Aeropoxy is great epoxy- easily equal to any of the others you mentioned.

I just use US Composites epoxy. It's much cheaper. But then again I'm poor. LOL!
What ever works for you . Aeropoxy is some strong stuff.

I have used it. It has a longer pot life so you will have keep the fins held in place longer.

Aeropoxy is great epoxy- easily equal to any of the others you mentioned.

Thanks guys. I have used a number of things including Aeropoxy. I just happen to have a fair amount of Aeropoxy around. I can get West Systems at a Marine store nearby. I still might try it to try something new. I was just curious about the internal injected fillets.

Hey Jim,

Yes that's a fine epoxy.

Just finishing up the 2-Stage Punisher for Airfest.
I built another fin can capable of holding a 6xl 75 M green!

So after testing: a 6xl 75 to a 6xl 54!!!!!!:dark:

I just injected aeropoxy 6209 w/ Kevlar in my punisher last week. I put three injection holes instead of one in the center just to make sure it spread all along the root edge evenly.

Yes that's a fine epoxy.

Videos, Jim, videos... I'm drooling

Yes that's a fine epoxy.

That is a cool motor...5.3s burn time.

Kenny

Back