CJ's "PUNISHER" build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a PML 24" as drogue and my 42" AT for the main. .had some 750 lb 1/8 inch kevlar MPR tethers for the flight too

Now fashioning some 1/4 inch kevlar for new shock cords proper ..although the mpr ones worked in a pinch.

There is not enough good things to say about this rocket! 3000n L or H550 for motor choices... $100 parachutes? You can use your gForce chute !

Did the 2 stage stack fly ?? Any results or news ?

Kenny

42" main and a 12" drogue, perfect combo, 15.5K on a 6xl K300.

don't try no drogue, the lower section comes in like a dart without one.

FWIW - I would recommend adding in a step before gluing on the motor retainer...make sure the motor tube end is square. I didn't and my motor retainer ended up crooked when I glued it down flush. I then checked another one from another WM kit and sure enough, the motor tube was cut slightly crooked as well (on both ends too).

I've heard that it isn't a problem functionally; however if you don't fix it and like to have your rocket standing on the retainer for display, the crookedness becomes noticeable. Also I did see that the motor casing can move ever so slightly within the motor tube, so to me, the crooked motor retainer can actually make the casing just a slight bit crooked which can have an effect on the flight, so I've taken steps to correct.

FWIW - I would recommend adding in a step before gluing on the motor retainer...make sure the motor tube end is square. I didn't and my motor retainer ended up crooked when I glued it down flush. I then checked another one from another WM kit and sure enough, the motor tube was cut slightly crooked as well (on both ends too).

I've heard that it isn't a problem functionally; however if you don't fix it and like to have your rocket standing on the retainer for display, the crookedness becomes noticeable. Also I did see that the motor casing can move ever so slightly within the motor tube, so to me, the crooked motor retainer can actually make the casing just a slight bit crooked which can have an effect on the flight, so I've taken steps to correct.

There's always a little tab of FG on the end of cuts. Taking care of squaring off cuts should be part of the initial prep on any FG build. I always sand, scrub, and wash the parts before doing any assembly.

There's always a little tab of FG on the end of cuts. Taking care of squaring off cuts should be part of the initial prep on any FG build. I always sand, scrub, and wash the parts before doing any assembly.

I had actually filed the little tab flat and also followed the steps listed here up through the motor retainer gluing...tubing was clearly cut crooked since I had glued the retainer on flush and made sure of it. Also I grabbed another motor tube out of another Punisher kit I had and upon inspection it was also cut crooked on both ends. I've fixed that one on my band saw. YMMV.

Squaring tubes is always recommended. I spend time doing this on every build.

I had to square mine up as well. You may also want to make note that the ID of the CRs is slightly larger than the OD of the motor tube. I had to shim them to ensure the OD of the CRs was concentric with the motor tubes when I tacked them into place.

Had a great flight on a J360 yesterday... I'm wondering if a 9" drogue wouldn't be better. It drifted hella far on the 12" drogue. Winds were kinda high, but with a Recon 30", it took over two minutes to come down from 7200'...

I had to square mine up as well. You may also want to make note that the ID of the CRs is slightly larger than the OD of the motor tube. I had to shim them to ensure the OD of the CRs was concentric with the motor tubes when I tacked them into place.

Actually, I had the opposite...my CR IDs were small and I had to sand them to fit; however before I got too far, I remembered that I'd be sanding down the mt in prep for epoxying the fins, so I stopped to sand the mt before fitting the CR.

Had a great flight on a J360 yesterday... I'm wondering if a 9" drogue wouldn't be better. It drifted hella far on the 12" drogue. Winds were kinda high, but with a Recon 30", it took over two minutes to come down from 7200'...

Nice tag! "First Mile+ and Mach+ - 9/25/2015 Wildman Punisher CTI J360Sk" ;)

Thanks to CJ for the great build thread! :clap:

Here's my completed Punisher...I call it the "WOW!" rocket since that's the first thing my wife, child and friend each said when they saw it (separate occasions too!). LOL

2015-10-16%2012.19.11.jpg

2015-10-18 13.53.11.jpg

Has flown in an epic drag race on I455 VMax and later on an C-Star and is simply AWESOME! Thanks to cbraRick (Wlidman CT) for setting up the local METRA drag race special! :)

Here's the drag race video:
[video=youtube;SNiHfGk-IYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNiHfGk-IYY[/video]

Last edited:
Outstanding!

That's a REALLY nice finishing job on that Punisher. I REALLY like it!:dark:

I like to to think of Punisher's as the .50 cal bullet of rockets.

Ken,

How many did you buy?

JD

I had actually filed the little tab flat and also followed the steps listed here up through the motor retainer gluing...tubing was clearly cut crooked since I had glued the retainer on flush and made sure of it. Also I grabbed another motor tube out of another Punisher kit I had and upon inspection it was also cut crooked on both ends. I've fixed that one on my band saw. YMMV.

Ken,

How many did you buy?

JD

He who dies with the most toys wins. ;)

I actually already had one in the wings from when Tim had a sale for those who missed the BS special. However I later heard Rick's Drag special and me and the other two stooges had to slap each other around and challenge one another (that and Rick's special was too good to resist). lol

Last edited:

BTW - My friend flew his DD Punisher for the second time and when the drogue opened, the announcer and the rest of us were surprised by how large it was (maybe 24"?)...ended up being a good thing it was that large since his main failed to deploy! After that I changed my plans to replace my 12" drogue with a 8" one and instead lowered the altitude for main deploy. ;) YMMV

I went with a cable cutter approach.
Which makes my 45" main also the drogue in it's rolled up form.

JD

Finished my 3" Punisher today. I'm thinking shear pins are not needed. What do others who have flown think? On to my winter build.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476040212.001240.jpg

Are you doing DD, using the NC for the main?

If so read this thread [again]. Shear-pins are definitely needed, unless you want to risk the main at apogee.
Don't forget to vent both fincan & NC for pressure relief,[not the vent/switch band] or risk popping off payload at Max-Q where things will get very ugly quick, when flying high thrust & larger motors

It's all in this thread.

Now if your asking about pins in payload to fincan, that is not needed, unless you have a sloppy loose fit.

If just flying with motor deploy nothing needed, you still need to vent fincan & NC.

Next time, please supply a bit more info on how you built & intend to fly your rocket. The Q is very vague....

Back