phenolic or paper tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pythonrock

Reaction score
I recently received some 5.5 phenolic tubing and started a new rocket. The tubing was slightly lighter color and about 0.02 inch larger than previous tubing I had but at first I didn't think much about that. When I cut a tube it sort of shredded and the dust was different. I ran a fingernail over the edge and it separated into layers.
Is this really paper tubing instead of phenolic?
I want to be sure before I complain and name the supplier.

20141128_055539.jpg

I recently received some 5.5 phenolic tubing .....
Is this really paper tubing instead of phenolic?
That doesn't look like phenolic tubing to me. I don't know of any vendor, other than LOC, BMS, and Apogee, that supplies 5.5" diameter airframe tubing - and neither of them offer phenolic tubes in that size. Red Arrow Hobbies claims to offer "phlexible phenolic" in that size, but any further comments on dealing with that vendor probably belongs in another thread.
-Wolf

Thank you all. That's what I thought.
I do have some old 5.5 tubing that is clearly different - it is phenolic. I think I got that from Red Arrow a few years ago.
I will call the vendor and see what can be done.
I know Blue Tube makes 5.5 but that's a lot more.
Thanks
Dan

I will call the vendor and see what can be done.

Thanks
Dan

Thanks for not naming names to start out the thread and giving the vendor a chance to make it right before any public comments as to who it is. Many could learn from this approach to an issue.

All the "newer " phenolic seems to barely fall into the phenolic category anymore.
Very little phenolic resin mostly paper.

JD

All the "newer " phenolic seems to barely fall into the phenolic category anymore.

Yep. You can sure tell when you cut in on the band saw too.

I'd guess it's a result of the manufacturing costs going up while the retail price mostly stays the same. Something normally gets cut out in those instances.

Last edited:
Back