Competitor 3 kit question(s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
toying with notion of buying one. looking over the list of provided parts, I gather that in addition I will need some all thread (and assorted washers etc.), eye bolts, vent band, and an altimeter sled, yes? the notion of building a sled doesn't bother me much since they are fairly simple, some 1/8" ply and some tubes cut and glued in appropriate places and you're set :). methinks Tim is missing a trick by not having av bay sleds(or maybe I just didn't find them, same difference) for his dual deploy kits.
Rex

Hi CJ, happy holidays to you and yours as well.
main comment was that I can find most everything else at Wildman's site except precut G10 av bay sleds, oh well :). since I have managed to build an FG bird or two and managed to assemble an av bay (kit)...I believe that I can to build a comp3, however pictures of someone else doing it are always helpful. very nice 'How to' thread. thanks for aiming me at it.
Rex

Check out the 3D printed ones from Missileworks Rex, they're very nice.

My Competitor 4 came with ONLY the fiberglass components needed. That included the av-bay coupler, switch band, and bulkplates/centering rings. Everything else (sled, all-threads, nuts, washers etc) I had to provide. Plywood is my standard for av-bay sleds, as well.

I have both the 3.0" and the 4.0" versions.
The 4.0" had the G10 sled as for the 3.0" it did not.
It not that hard to cut out a rectangle out of G10 with either; a Dremel tool or a jig saw with a bi-metal blade.
The switch band can be cut from the booster tube if so desired.

JD

Yeah, I was taken a little a back at first with the Wildman DIY AV bay approach, but now I wouldn't want it any other way. Much more flexibility to customize to your specific needs and requirements; and as the build threads show, it is pretty easy. Here's my Comp 3 disassembled AV bay. Just measured and cut out a piece of G10 (hacksaw works fine). No reason this couldn't be plywood as well. Made it a tad oversize so I could sand the edges down to a perfect fit. Used a file to make notches for the eyebolt nuts. Then drilled holes for switch, altimeters and battery.

View attachment 247748

You will love the Comp 3; it flies straight and pretty. This L2 bird likes to go high though, so you will want some open space. My lowest single stage flight was around 5,600' on a J355R.

Get a Missile Works 3D printed 3" sled with the RRC3, and av-bays get EASY. My Competitor 3 and that av-bay setup went to about 58Gs on the last flight without a hiccup. The time savings in not having to create a sled/switch setup from scratch is well worth it.

I have the tools...what I don't happen to have is any G10 :). plywood on the other hand is easy to find.
Rex

trigger has been pulled not on the list of sale items but the retainer was. now to wait and see when it arrives :), down side is I will have to wait till Christmas to open it.
Rex

Latest posts

Back