PCB screw switch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms

Reaction score
I have done a quick internet search but didn't really find anything. Anybody know of any vendor carrying PCB screw switches other than Aerocon? I don't have anything against Aerocon but I was looking for a vendor that deals with other main stream rocketry items that I could order at the same time

Last edited:
The Featherweight screw switch is very small, about 1/2" x 1/4". I've used it rockets as small as 38mm, it works great.

You can build your own fairly easily. All it takes is some bare PCB (double sided copper), a screw and a nut. That way you can make them any size you need. I guilded the lily a bit and used two pieces of single sided PCB with a layer of poly-pro plastic sandwiched in between. The plastic keeps the screws from vibrating loose or closing accidentally.

Now you made my look it up and post the link to the MissileWorks 6-32 PCB screw switch.

https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/6-32-PCB-Screw-Switch/p/38076724/category=5760490

Only Featherweight and Aerocon carry smaller ones AFAIK.

I must admit, I have never seen these switches at MissleWorks, I had only seen the bigger 120/240 switch. They look interesting I will give them a try.
I have used Featherweight before but find the screw itself to be very small to activate through a hole in the av-bay. I have also lost a couple screws during transport that had backed out, I assume transport vibration in my trailer.
Even with this things I still like the Featherweight switch for 38mm and smaller rockets.
I like the PCB switch and have used them for most rockets 54mm and bigger.

Greg

I must admit, I have never seen these switches at MissleWorks, I had only seen the bigger 120/240 switch. They look interesting I will give them a try.
I have used Featherweight before but find the screw itself to be very small to activate through a hole in the av-bay. I have also lost a couple screws during transport that had backed out, I assume transport vibration in my trailer.
Even with this things I still like the Featherweight switch for 38mm and smaller rockets.

Greg

I haven't seen these MW switches either. Might have to give them a try.

On the featherweight switches, I have replace the screws with longer screws, which at least makes them harder to lose.

I use plenty of the Aerocon PCB switches and they are tough to beat. Haven't seen them anywhere else.

Jim

Last edited:
The Missile Works switches are awesome. They are extremely robust and have a lot of options for mounting your wires.

ft_mini_switch2.png

https://www.fingertechrobotics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ft-mini-switch

I've not used these. They do interest me.

Tony

I haven't seen these MW switches either. Might have to give them a try.

On the featherweight switches, I have replace the screws with longer screws, which at least makes them harder to lose.

I use plenty of the Aerocon PCB switches and they are tough to beat. Haven't seen them anywhere else.

Jim

I've wrecked a few of the featherweight switches because I had a tough time with "feeling" for the screw with the screwdriver. I've overtightened to destruction.
Ruins the flying day. I've got a work around that suits me. I just use a sockethead screw with a bondhus driver. I know it engages and turns off and on easily.
I don't "do it" to destruction anymore. Kurt

You can prevent the screws from backing out by fouling the threads near the end slightly with a pair of wire cutters. You might need a slightly longer screw.

Greg

I have used the Fingertech Robotics, Featherweight, Aerocon, and Addictive Aerospace. They all work well.

The Missile Works switches are awesome. They are extremely robust and have a lot of options for mounting your wires.

I have 2 in my Magnum 3.
After drilling the holes in the switch band, adding CA then paint the screws can't back out.

JP

Greg

Greg
I had the same problem and I replaced the screws with Allen head screws for easier access and a more secure drive. I also purchased some Undersized Machine Screw Hex Nuts from McMaster-Carr to place on the screw on the back side of the board. I secure them with epoxy or Loc-tite. This prevents the screw from falling out.
I also built some items from plastic to direct the hex wrench into the socket head.
View attachment 248151

Back