Ugliest Missiles???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Some Missiles are Beautiful. Others, not so much.

So how bout' it? What's everybodies Idea of the Ugliest Missile?
For me the one that comes to mind immidiately is the THOR.:puke:

thorugly.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGM-17_Thor

That Blunt Stumpy little Nose Cone that makes it look like it does'nt have a Nose Cone is why I think it is so horrible.

Last edited:
For me the one that comes to mind immidiately is the THOR.:puke:

That Blunt Stumpy little Nose Cone that makes it look like it does'nt have a Nose Cone is why I think it is so horrible.

As soon as I saw this thread and before I opened it, Thor came to mind. You're right, the "coolie hat" nose cone was it's downfall. :grin:

Any of the Russian R-7 derivatives.

Not to say they aren't reliable or functional...they most certainly are. But they tend to be designed like they designed their earlier aircraft...fairings, bumps, tubes, lines, etc everywhere. I tend to find their aesthetics to be ... odd.

And while we're at the point of reliable but odd looking. The Python 3:

1280px-Rafael_Python_3_3.jpg

FC

Last edited:
Here is "Thor Able". It's pretty Hor-Able!!!

ThorAble.png

Even Marvin the Martian would balk in disgust at its uglifying Nose Bone.

It's like some Joker said said to his Designers, "Wait, this thing is so ridiculously ugly, I'll pay anyone a Fiver who can make it look even worse."

nike smoke.. just does nothing for me and the nose cone looks like someone spec'd the wrong size, not to mention not getting the memo on performance

When you look at them they can look ugly. But when the button gets pushed they're cool.:smile:

Gotta second that! Elegant doesn't win a war! ICBMs still look awesome when they fly, and the business ends coming back in make for some great pics! Inert ones mind you, God help us if the real ones get launched! Slo-mo Titan II launch video is pretty cool. But, I agree, + whatever number we are up to on Thor!

Mike

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

You want ugly missiles? Here's Britain's entry, the Sea Slug:
Sea_Slug_missile.png

But as far as I'm concerned, the outright champion has to be the 2K11 "Krug", alias SA-4 "Ganef":
640px-ZRK_Krug_2005_G1.jpg

I find some of the bull pup missiles just hideous.

Nate

You want ugly missiles? Here's Britain's entry, the Sea Slug:
Sea_Slug_missile.png

But as far as I'm concerned, the outright champion has to be the 2K11 "Krug", alias SA-4 "Ganef":
640px-ZRK_Krug_2005_G1.jpg

This proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder- that 2K11 looks to me like a great one to model!!

This proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder- that 2K11 looks to me like a great one to model!!

It probably is, but don't let anyone here get Wind of it, lest you get Flamed into ashes by the Stability Nazis and Weight Haters, not to mention those older Folk who just hate anything Communist.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
I have had more than one lady jokingly mention that the standard 'rocket' design has kept women happy for decades. I won't even mention the bumps, conduits, fairings, adapters, etc.

:)

BGM-71's have always been pretty ugly. Particularly with the probe nose.

The Jayhawk Models/Kits are horrible. I think that's why some Folks think they are ugly.
Just like the Seawolf, the Kits are not only NOT TRUE TO SCALE, but an outright Blasphemous Abomination.:mad:

Back