Promoting UK Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
I've been thinking about rocketry in general and the UK in particular. Mainly in how we can encourage new entrants to the hobby/sport.
Unfortunately it is perceived as the preserve of "anoraks" and those that should be certified rather than certificated when applying for level 1, 2, or 3, certificates. It is seen as a past time for model makers.

As I've said previously, I have been critical of UKRA and UK clubs but given the low level of interest in the UK, they are actually doing a reasonable job with small numbers and smaller contributions. Maybe the answer is less about what UKRA can do and more about what "we" can do to encourage new entrants. After all, the more people involved, the wider the publicity, the greater demand for kits and components, the lower the cost for all of us.

As an engineer and a UK citizen, I'm very much aware that there is an election coming up in the UK. Specifically as an engineer I have seen the intense focus all of the parties are placing on engineering, aerospace, and apprenticeships in the UK. At last the rise of service industry at the expense of manufacturing is being acknowledged. The key targets for government and opposition in their election campaign are manufacturing, young engineers, female engineers in particular, and apprenticeships.

The UK are leaders in the field of aerospace along with the U.S. France and Germany. Other less traditional nations are catching up however. Surely Rosetta must be inspirational to future European engineers as Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo was to the world in years gone by.

Pre and post UK elections seems to me an ideal time for aerospace to benefit from government interest. In a small and spin off way I think rocketry as a hobby/sport might also benefit.

So getting to my point at last, isn't time a UK backed initiative, maybe in the form of a competition was launched to encourage young engineers to become involved in rocketry? Not a new idea I know but the timing for such an initiative is ideal.
An initiative that might extend at different levels to schools, colleges, universities, and apprenticeship schools within UK industry. Industry would be the most important in being able to provide sponsorship along with the larger rocketry equipment suppliers. I would presume much support from within the hobby/support community but would expect the leadership and direction to come from UKRA.

The challenge to industry involves research, design, build and test. Surely something that encompasses all of the engineering and project disciplines.

As I say, not a new idea but one that seems sensible to me and one that might play a part in elevating the image of rocketry beyond the level of old anoraks like me, and into the realm of new and young engineering.

If there are any UKRA members and especially officials reading this I would be keen to read their views and thoughts to understand why it could, or couldn't happen.

SO.

UKRA will just flag and red tape 99% of anything. So I avoid them and do it under BMFA and degree of comon sense.

Motors, this is all under review and looks like we might join with the euro boys to get it done sooner. IE everything CTI has we will get

I'm also looking at opening my own shop for motors only with a really simple, clean, fast, live stock and paypal payments system. I'd do a simple start of stock like 10/30 of everything. See what flys out the door then go from there on.

So getting to my point at last, isn't time a UK backed initiative, maybe in the form of a competition was launched to encourage young engineers to become involved in rocketry?

Agree that more needs to be done to promote the hobby. There are some initiatives in place to introduce school kids to rocketry.

One is https://www.ukayroc.org.uk which is essentially a schools challenge to launch and land two eggs.

I know that some of the rocketry community also spend time running rocketry workshops in schools.

I'm also looking at opening my own shop for motors only with a really simple, clean, fast, live stock and paypal payments system. I'd do a simple start of stock like 10/30 of everything. See what flys out the door then go from there on.

My concern with that is the community is too small right now to support another motor vendor. We have someone who sells motors on the day at launches and if people purchased motors in advance by mail order then it would not be economical to have a motor vendor at the launch.

How would these motors be shipped? Remember anything over 1kg of propellant means the receiver and shipper has to have explosives store and COER paperwork. If motors are delivered at launch site all that paperwork goes away.

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't seen the ukayroc competition before and find it very encouraging. For the sport and also for me in knowing I'm not barking in the wind when it comes to schools, apprentices, aerospace and in particular the government.
It's a great start and should be supported. I will find out more about it.

I was however thinking of something more ambitious and a much wider involvement than what seems to me, mostly exclusive schools.

The biggest inspiration for me was when I started finding information on YouTube and came across a video of someone launching a rocket to 100,000 feet. I'm sure you know the one I mean. At the time I had no concept of a "Q" motor nor anything else come to that. It was just one of those "I could do that" moments. More so, an "I want to do that" moment.
Knowing a little more of the subject it's now a case of a "I could, I want, but haven't got the money" moment.

I suspect the skills to mount such an initiative is there in the UK clubs and UKRA. I'm sure the will is there as well. I'm certain that government support is there as evidenced By the ukayroc site. To attack this effectively it needs industry and the trade. In short, sponsorship. It needs promotion and publicity. In short, marketing skills.

Though as I said above the ukayroc initiative is an admirable start, a greater challenge is needed and with respect, landing eggs has been done many times before.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I would actively support any activity that promoted the sport in the UK.

As a footnote to my comments on industrial sponsorship, when Pete sets up his motor store maybe he would be prepared to donate a few CTI "L's" or "M's" in exchange for much deserved advertising coverage?
What do you think Pete? Just think of the future engineers you will be helping to inspire along with a captive market for future sales! ��

All the best,

SO.

PS. Where would Richard Noble be if he stayed within the framework of what's practical rather than what's possible? Where would he be without sponsorship?

Last edited:
Hi why are rocketeers in the uk so far and few between ? I have only just taken up the hobby again after around 10 years and i am only flying mainly LPR model shop stuff. After searching Facebook and googling i have come to the conclusion that there are not that many active clubs or rocketeers in the UK.

I have made a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/916585851687428/ (shamless plug) based around Leighton Buzzard and have invited all my friends and have advertised and shared all over my Facebook and others and only have attracted one rocketeer so we have a club of 2 and a couple more made of my sons etc

I just can't seem to reel more people in :(

I think that although the will might be there in the UK and dare I say, the US rocketry community, the strength is lacking due to the numbers of those involved.

When I started this thread I pointed the initiative toward the rocketry authorities and in particular toward the engineering and aerospace institutions, the areas of emphasis that government has for the next twelve months. This emphasis has increased since I plast wrote and continues to do so. Did you listen to the Radio 5 phone in earlier this week that discussed the state of UK Engineering and how it could improve?

I still think we should direct the will of our enthusiasm to those with the money to promote it, namely the aerospace prime contractors and the governments that are promoting engineering.

My comments are mainly applicable to the UK. My reference to the US is however in response to some comments I've read on other threads with regard to the decline of the hobby within the US. I'd be interested to know what they are doing about promoting and boosting the hobby?

As far as the UK is concerned I'm happy to support any serious initiative to promote rocketry, wherever I can. Just tell me where is the focus and the lead? If it doesn't exist then in due course, neither will the hobby.

SO.

One the shop is running will defo look to help clubs, schools etc out. Sorry for my delay been busy blowing stuff up :)

Back