late nite idle thought

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
wacky notion came to me, thought I'd toss it up for grabs...if you like it just tell folks you found it at TRF
concept; you go to the pad carrying what appears to be an ordinary rocket(made from an oatmeal container perhaps) w/ fins and nose...everything looks like a standard launch, rocket goes up nose separates...and keeps going up under thrust...I can think of a couple of ways of doing this, gap staged w/ bp motors (less than ideal), airstart of the 2nd stage (after a suitable delay using composit motors...
anywho t'was a late nite notion...if someone makes it work...pictures would be nice.
rex

I believe Mr. Gassaway had a similar idea. Build a rocket with a large nose, and
a thin body, kind of like an egg lofter, but the fins stick out as far as the nose
cone. Select a second body tube the size of the nose cone, slide the rocket
into the larger BT. Add fins,LL on the large FAKE rocket. Take the whole thing
to the pad. Hook up the motor, and launch. The Fake rocket acts as a tower
launcher.

I've done this. Everyone thinks there was a CATO on the pad, but the rocket
keeps going. :D

thats something I hadn't thought of :), was thinking along the lines of a 2-stage...of course the booster would need at least a streamer. got the notion after looking at my package of shuttlecocks and a mortons(tm) salt box and wondered if a 'birdy' would make a suitable nose 'cone'.

With a large diameter rocket, you could use a saucer for a nose cone and let that gap stage.

If you clustered it,used a C6-3/5 to gap stage the nose cone and a C6-5/7 to deploy the recovery on the main body.

Interesting concept. Another idea for the build list. ;)

I believe Mr. Gassaway had a similar idea. Build a rocket with a large nose, and
a thin body, kind of like an egg lofter, but the fins stick out as far as the nose
cone. Select a second body tube the size of the nose cone, slide the rocket
into the larger BT. Add fins,LL on the large FAKE rocket. Take the whole thing
to the pad. Hook up the motor, and launch. The Fake rocket acts as a tower
launcher.

I've done this. Everyone thinks there was a CATO on the pad, but the rocket
keeps going. :D

can you explain this a bit more? im confused.....

SD

Back