current paint of choice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paint

• Rustoleum 2x Ultra

• Krylon

• Duplicolor

• Testers

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I still have many cans of old Krylon to use, but only have a can of white primer left. Can I use old Krylon over Duplicolor primer? I would hate to throw away that many cans of paint.

I picked Rusto 2x, but Rustoleum has a lot of sub-brands (or whatever you would call them) other than the 2x.

For example, in metallic colors they have the Bright Coat brand that makes really nice, realistic looking, metallic finishes, but is very fragile --- easily picks up fingerprints and scuffs, even from very delicate handling.

And they also make the Stops Rust brand that includes a line of metallics that have a less realistic, metal-flake finish that is super tough --- it can actually land in a muddy quagmire, emerge covered in globs of adobe and straw, be wiped down with paper towels and cooler water, and end up looking fine.

So the 2x is a great paint in my opinion, but I think the poll should have just left it at Rustoleum and left off the 2x, or it should have included the other sub brands.

I haven't experimented too much, since I just got back into the hobby, but I already learned not to paint your rockets with a brush.

The 2nd one I used Rustoleum 2x and it turned out much nicer.

I started using Krylon but have since switched to Rustoleum 2X Ultra. Happy with the results!

I like 2x and the stops rust metallic, but also use many of the automotive products. Especially the filler primer.

Started with Rustoleum 2x, but had too many inconsistencies at the time, however in fairness I have learned much since then so I may give them another try. Switched to Dupli-Color, love the primer filler, have been using the can based acrylic enamels but the re-coat times turn a paint job into a project in itself. Picked up a gravity fed low volume spry gun, compressor and the lacquer Dupli-Color Paint Shop Finnish 123 System, primer, most colours, gloss, matte and prism clear coats, but have not used the system yet.

I think I have the best option. Auto body shop. My future son in law owns a used car sales business. He also bought a home that needs some general update, repairs, etc.
He was shocked when he found out how much it would cost to do some of the repairs. I offered him the following - I will help him do the updates in exchange for
painting the rockets at a body shop he uses. So far, I've installed water heater, water softener, garage cabinets, etc. He pays parts, I do the labor. So far, 4 beautiful rockets,
and one about to be painted...

Klass Kote epoxy system, also some automotive. Hardly any rattle cans.

I used to use Liquitex, which looks great for matte finishes but falls off the rocket even landing on grass. I use Rusto now, I used 2X on my cert rocket and it's holding up great after 5 flights.

If it's a rattle can I prefer Rustoleum automotive primer and their gloss or metallic finishes. The best finish I've come up with is by using a detail gun and automotive primers and paint. For a wet high gloss finish I always put on several light layers of clear coat with either process.
Kevin

I voted "Other" because I use the Rustoleum fluorescent pink, Rusto metallic black, and Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel.

As to primers, I use Rusto high build primer mostly except when doing nose cones; they get Rustoleum Plastic Primer and after a 7-day curing period then the high build primer.

I have used Testor's metallic lime green and metallic purple for my Super Neon XL and Super-Duper Neon 29 and have been very happy with the results if not the cost of the small spray cans.

Duplicolor high build primer is very nice but the price and extra effort to locate it mean I don't bother with it any more.

If you want rattlecan auto paint, Alsa Corp does offer 2k automotive paints in rattlecans. They are expensive however.

I picked Rusto 2x, but Rustoleum has a lot of sub-brands (or whatever you would call them) other than the 2x.

For example, in metallic colors they have the Bright Coat brand that makes really nice, realistic looking, metallic finishes, but is very fragile --- easily picks up fingerprints and scuffs, even from very delicate handling.

And they also make the Stops Rust brand that includes a line of metallics that have a less realistic, metal-flake finish that is super tough --- it can actually land in a muddy quagmire, emerge covered in globs of adobe and straw, be wiped down with paper towels and cooler water, and end up looking fine.

So the 2x is a great paint in my opinion, but I think the poll should have just left it at Rustoleum and left off the 2x, or it should have included the other sub brands.

I definitely see what you are saying, but I was trying to limit to the three or four most popular options and get a ranking between them. Specifically the 2x seems to be have both excellent and awful reports these days, and I wanted to know if people were turning elsewhere or sticking through it.

I still have many cans of old Krylon to use, but only have a can of white primer left. Can I use old Krylon over Duplicolor primer? I would hate to throw away that many cans of paint.

Use a good LACQUER primer under OLD FORMULA Krylon... Duplicolor SHOULD make one (but be forewarned-- Duplicolor makes BOTH a LACQUER and ENAMEL product lines and you DO NOT want to apply a lacquer over an enamel primer-- it will "alligator skin" on you extremely easily, whereas you CAN apply an enamel paint over a lacquer primer very well...)

Later! OL JR :)

Back