Laptops + Black Friday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
What 3 stores would you look at (online is ok) for Black Friday deals on laptops?

What would you recommend in the ~$600 range?

8 GB RAM
1 TB HD
MS Office
Win 7 preferred over Win 8

1 year warranty

Greg

My first vote would be Apple.com (actually, I get my Apple stuff at B&H Photo), but if you need a PeeCee, I would recommend XoticPC.com :

https://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-asus-laptops-ct-95_51_163.html

I've linked to their Asus laptop page, I bought a gaming laptop from them a while back and their service (both during the sale and a year later when I had a minor issue) was great. I've also had an MSI laptop in the past, and thought highly of their quality too. I would avoid getting a Dell laptop, they are famous for selling poor quality stuff at the low end.

XoticPC has a huge selection of brands, in a huge price range - and you get a huge range of customization options, to boot. So, hopefully you will find something you like!

I also like supporting a smaller shop, rather than a big-box store, but that is just my $0.02...let me know what you think of the recommendation!

I've been looking at some of the other options out there, and I'm thinking that New Egg offer is so good I just might buy it myself and get rid of my current laptop.

Some things to think about --

Black Friday deals on computers usually aren't all that if you want quality. Companies want to post low prices to get people in the door or drive clicks. But with computers ... you've got to be careful to get the best equipment in order to be satisfied. I also think you would be hard-pressed to find a Black Friday deal that doesn't come with Windows 8. Microsoft has already stopped selling the retail version of Windows 7 Home, they aren't going to do retailers any favors on deals with 7 installed.

The New Egg one I linked to is the only one I've found with an i7 processor at that price point. Most other places don't seem to go to an i7 for under $800. One thing -- don't get fooled by clock speed. New Egg says that processor (i7-4510U) runs at 2 GHZ, while most other places say the same processor runs at "up to 3.1 GHZ". They are both correct, but that 3.1 GHZ number is a "turbo" mode that the processor is designed to be able to accelerate to if posed with a particularly demanding task (this is different than overclocking). But it only runs at that speed for a second or so, and depends on the number of cores in use at the time. So you might find a laptop with a lower level processor that is advertised as a higher clock speed than 2 GHZ, but that could be the "turbo" rating and actually an inferior processor.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a laptop without at least an i5, and would only want an i7. More cores threaded together to offset the lower speeds that laptop processors run at vs. desktop.

Also, I would rather get a lower-capacity Solid State hard drive than a larger traditional hard drive. External hard drives are cheap (maybe $50 per TB?) and cloud access is so ubiquitous so having that much onboard storage is kind of overkill. You might have 1 TB+ of data to store but do you really need instant access to all of it?

I recently upgraded my desktop computer and the smartest thing I did was adding a 250 GB SSD to run windows and my main programs off of. The computer boots in about 10 seconds (Win 7) and comes out of sleep almost instantly. I don't "notice" much better performance from the better processor and more memory (except when running multiple data-intensive programs during work hours) but the change from adding the SSD is dramatic no matter what I'm doing.

Just a point of information, it needs to be a Windows laptop. It's not a slam at Apple, we are restricted by the software we need to run.

Greg

That Newegg deal looks great! I've been looking for a similar laptop myself that is capable of running Solidworks (which requires at least 8Gb ram). Hmm...

My brothers a IT type and also is the manager of a Computer service and sales store. According to him the laptops they see the least of for repairs are Lenovo, the ones they see the most of are HP products, like me he wont touch an Apple without being at gunpoint (and yes I am aware that what used to be the major detractors for Apple comps are going away).

Back