King For A Day: JKF's L3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Keep_Flying (Masonh)

Reaction score
Build season is approaching fast in New England, and what better time to begin the works for a L3 project?

The rocket is going to be a 4" diameter, all fiberglass rocket with a 75mm motor mount. Sorry, no minimum diameter here. There is nothing outstanding about the design, and it should go together in much the same manner as all similar rockets to.

The only major difference between this rocket and similar kit versions is that the centering rings will be double the thickness. Overkill? Likely. The reasoning is sound, though. In the openrocket file, you'll see that the fin tabs intersect with the centering rings. This is because tabs will be cut out of the material to help align the fins perpendicular to the body and add strength. This is similar to what Papa Elf did on his L3 bird.

I am hoping to have this done for LDRS in June and fly it on the new-ish CTI 75mm 4G M1101 White. I warn you, though. This build will be GLACIALLY slow. Life is busy as it stands right now.

Here is the motor I intend to fly:
[video=youtube;iof8ZQedKoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iof8ZQedKoc[/video]

View attachment King For A Day.ork

Last edited:
Subscribed to the build and will volunteer to be a Pad slave :):):):):)

I'll subscribe as well.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

Sounds cool. I did something similar with my CR's on my L3. You should have plenty of room with the waiver should you decide to go to a 5 or 6 grain on your encore launch!! :smile:

Sounds cool. I did something similar with my CR's on my L3. You should have plenty of room with the waiver should you decide to go to a 5 or 6 grain on your encore launch!! :smile:

I intend to punch a hole in at least one cloud. Thank you all for the support!

Well, my first batch of parts are in! I ordered the airframe, payload bay, motor tube, and coupler from AMW. I ordered on a Sunday afternoon, and had the parts on my door today (Tuesday). If that isn't excellent service, than I don't know what is!

IMG_0237[1].jpg

Sorry about the sideways picture!

Cool tubes, fast shipping is always awesome. Just wish it was like that all the time. I've had my share of poor shipping timing.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

Got my motor tube all marked up and the retainer JB Welded on good. The lines are where the centering rings and 'ringlets' that go between the fin tabs will be glued into place

10421144_760462880708706_7076677319193440187_n.jpg

Got my motor tube all marked up and the retainer JB Welded on good. The lines are where the centering rings and 'ringlets' that go between the fin tabs will be glued into place

View attachment 248321

CONGRATULATIONS on your successful tube marking endeavors!!! That was the most impressive thing I've seen on this forum.

Ever.

:)

Back