catching up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
So ever since 2002 I stopped doing rockets, I just want to know what has happened? Like what has changed, legal wise, and also has there been any innovations in rocket technology that occurred in the hobby? New products, methods, avionics, etc.?

Hybrids were in, now they are nearly out; AP was on the explosive list, now it is not; Aerotech fire recovery seemed like forever, but they are in full swing; More and more kits coming in filament wound fiberglass airframes... Wildman Black Saturday A MUST RESEARCH TOPIC! Rocketry Warehouse; Giant Leap Rocketry; Darrel Mobley passed away; One of the Gates brothers died in a terrible fall; John Coker is still sharing his wealth of knowledge with us all;

Too much to list, and the Rocketry Forum may not cover it all unless you venture to the archives... now there you will find the history you seek.

I just wanted a summary... if I sat here researching the archives I will probably not finish before I grow old.

Has the cost of filament wound come down? I remember they were very expensive. I guess I can see hybrids going out of style when APCP is no longer on the explosive list, after all why bother with all the required GSE when you can now buy APCP motors without a BATF license?

What about Pratt Hobbies? How are they doing?
And how's Bob Kaplow, Neil Tarassoff doing?

Most of the recent changes have been in electronics, particularly altimeters and LiPo power options. Also, video from 808, Mobius, GoPro.

CTI has expanded their product line, introducing more HPR offerings and some MPR selections (going down to 24mm).

AT is still producing great stuff, introducing a DMS line recently.

The regulatory environment is still frosty.

Vendors have come and gone.

Wildman's Black Saturday Sale (2 days after Thanksgiving) is, as of late, one of the best times to get great deals on rockets and supplies.

Others can chime in on other things.

As far as getting caught up on personalities, Facebook is a better medium for that.

Greg

After 30+ years, in 2004, Semroc re-opened it's doors, became the premier supplier of parts & kits for classic (mostly 60's & 70's) Semroc, Centuri, & Estes clones, bringing a new enthusiasm for model rocketry, and sadly, now is closing its doors after the death of its founder last year, Carl McLawhorn.

After years of decline under previous ownership, in 2010 Estes was acquired by Hobbico, and has invigorated their presence, by expanding their BP motor line to arguably the best in their history, once again creating challenging skill level 3, 4, 5 kits, re-issuing and upscaling classic designs, and getting re-engaged with the NAR.

The FAA definitions and notification requirements have changed:

(a) Class 1—Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that:
(1) Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
(2) Uses a slow-burning propellant;
(3) Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
(4) Contains no substantial metal parts; and
(5) Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.

(b) Class 2—High-Power Rocket means an amateur rocket other than a model rocket
that is propelled by a motor or motors having a combined total impulse of 40,960
Newton-seconds (9,208 pound-seconds) or less.

(c) Class 3—Advanced High-Power Rocket means an amateur rocket other than a
model rocket or high-power rocket.

https://www.nar.org/?s=faa

Flying Class 1 rockets requires no notification or waiver and generally includes low and mid-power models. Class 2 are high power rockets that require notification and waiver applications. Class 3 - Space X ? :)

This chart that summarizes the NAR/Tripoli certification levels and federal limits is a handy reference:

View attachment HPR_metric9c.pdf

I'm not all that good with math, but what letter is 40,960 newton seconds? Is that the end of O range or beginning of P range?

I'm not all that good with math, but what letter is 40,960 newton seconds? Is that the end of O range or beginning of P range?

End of O

Code:
                                                          MINIMUM DISTANCE TABLE
Installed Total Impulse    Equivalent High     Minimum Diameter         Minimum                       Minimum Personnel
(newton-Seconds)           Power Motor Type    of Cleared Area (ft.)    Personnel Distance (ft.)      Distance (Complex Rocket) (ft.)

0 — 320.00           H or smaller            50                        100                                200

320.01 — 640.00           I                       50                        100                                200

640.01 — 1,280.00         J                       50                        100                                200

1,280.01 — 2,560.00         K                       75                        200                                300

2,560.01 — 5,120.00         L                      100                        300                                500

5,120.01 — 10,240.00        M                      125                        500                               1000

10,240.01 — 20,480.00        N                      125                       1000                               1500

20,480.01 — 40,960.00        O                      125                       1500                               2000

Back