Hi people

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRE

Reaction score
Just dropped in to say 'Hi' to everyone here and introduce myself...

An old aero-modeler from the days of sticks'n'glue, got back into planes around 3 years ago and have been having a ball with all this new fangle electric stuff :)

The arrival of some small folk who are totally rocket mad has drawn me into looking at rockery and the purchase of a couple of Estes ARTF kits. Just need to find a couple of hours to get them ready for the air and have a box of motors arrive, no model shops that stock rocketry parts within 50 miles it seems :(

Currently I work and a boat-building and engineering lecturer in the area but have had a million lives prior to this one ranging from machinist to IT manger and a vast array between the two.

I hope no-one will mind if I post really noob questions as it seems to me there is huge range of issues surrounding model rocketry (this said, the 'tinternet is just great :)

Fair winds and blue sky's one and all, may happy trails abound :)

We like noob questions, because it is an easy way for us to feel smart!

Welcome! And ask away!

JohnRE-Welcome to TRF! We collectively are the home of pushers, enablers, dealers, vendors and junkies. Abandon all ye hope and surrender to the Rocket Gods.
You'll notice there are a lot of newbies here so you are not alone! We welcome just about any question and will offer in return a wild array of opinion, fact, fiction, urban legends and tall tales. Sorry- no Taco Tuesdays here.....

(I personally subscribe to the fact I changed the 9 volt battery in the World Domination Machine being responsible for attracting new brothers to the smoke, but I'm conceited that way.....)

JohnRE-Welcome to TRF! We collectively are the home of pushers, enablers, dealers, vendors and junkies. Abandon all ye hope and surrender to the Rocket Gods.
You'll notice there are a lot of newbies here so you are not alone! We welcome just about any question and will offer in return a wild array of opinion, fact, fiction, urban legends and tall tales. Sorry- no Taco Tuesdays here.....

(I personally subscribe to the fact I changed the 9 volt battery in the World Domination Machine being responsible for attracting new brothers to the smoke, but I'm conceited that way.....)

...when did they cancel Taco Tuesday....how come I didn't get the memo....always the last to know....

Anyway, Hi new guy :) Yeah, rocketry is a "niche" hobby and is even after many years just breaking into mainstream consciousness. Look at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even WalMart for rocket stuff. For some things Lowe's and Home Depot, especially for those large projects :)

Someone's already said to take pictures. :)

Welcome!

You'll probably find that a lot of the folks here will be more than happy to share what they know. Besides, you can never know until it happens, when just asking the question will help you figure it out for yourself.

A few things you need:

OpenRocket or RocSim. OR is free, the other you buy from Apogee. I've got a library of common nosecones for people to download to help with designing in OR.

Most, if not all here, love photographs and videos. Doesn't hurt to know how to do 'em. Remember: videos embedded in posts are ad free, whereas linked videos typically aren't.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

OK, see if I have this right?

Copy of OR - Check.
Rockets - Check.
Pictures - Check.
Video - Check.
No Corgi's - Check

I think I had better add I am based in the extreme west of Wales, UK, (as I can't edit my profile yet) hence no rocketry stores for miles around. Still, mail order seems to be working just fine at the moment :)

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

OK, see if I have this right?

Copy of OR - Check.
Rockets - Check.
Pictures - Check.
Video - Check.
No Corgi's - Check

I think I had better add I am based in the extreme west of Wales, UK, (as I can't edit my profile yet) hence no rocketry stores for miles around. Still, mail order seems to be working just fine at the moment :)

...and no WalMarts, right? Just imagine, no WalMarts....

So you changed the battery huh...was it your fault that this software was used?

r_ms-wd99.jpg

Welcome my friendly rocketeer!
Building is an obsecission.
Fying gets worse.
You'll find 1 isn't enout, 10 isn't egough, 100, etc. You'' find you build pile larger tha your build pile, or vise versa..
You will never be alone. Enjoyment is the KEY word of the hobby. Otherwise, you wouldn't do it. Right?
Flyn on to the heavens my friend!!!1

welcome!

isn't it 'TAKOS' tuesday , sorry too much time with 3 year old grandson :)

john

Last edited:
So you changed the battery huh...was it your fault that this software was used?

View attachment 247379
That's the last time I hire elves in the off season. That was SUPPOSED to be CLASSIFIED! Right now- Randy Neuman's song "Short People" is going on in my head. It's a lump of coal for the whole IT department! And they can share it!
(LOL-RB-well played!)

Back