OK, what is the deal with Quest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
Quest Aerospace has been out of stock on motors and igniters for months. I heard something about the company being bought out, maybe they were changing processes for making igniters or motors, whatever.

When I first went looking, a few months back (I forget the website), there was a message that Quest motors and igniters would be back in stock "in November."

I can't find any info on the Quest website. And it's the Christmas shopping season, for crying out loud!

What is the deal? Why are they out of these things, and when are they supposed to have them back in stock? And why are motors and igniters the only thing they're out of stock on?? I've bought several of their rocket kits lately, and I haven't seen anything on Amazon or elsewhere that they only have X left in stock, "Order Soon!" so I assume Quest isn't going out of business...

My guess? They're changing some of how or where they're getting things manufactured, and it requires some permits. Those permits take time.

-Kevin

My guess? They're changing some of how or where they're getting things manufactured, and it requires some permits. Those permits take time.

-Kevin

It seems odd they would shut down whatever production they had working before getting the new production up and running.

-Kevin

At the Manufacturer Forum at NARAM, Bill Stine said it's bringing most of the kit production back to the U.S.

US Manufacturing is rare, but I would purchase more of their kits if they are well made and made at home.

Quest merged with AeroTech within the past year; I've sent an email to Gary Rosenfield in hopes of getting more info.

-Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks. It just seems like this has slipped again.

Kevin,

Thanks. It just seems like this has slipped again.

B6-4 OOS C6-0 OOS (but I have a couple). STD starters still a no show but the long ones are in. Most kits in stock now (but all of AT kits I ordered were back ordered this week. And no starter sets yet. Some things are starting to come in but I don't have any inside info.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com

It seems odd they would shut down whatever production they had working before getting the new production up and running.

Their "production" is motors from China... before that, it was motors from Germany (IIRC). It's been a LONG time since they quit producing their own motors (they had a fire where a worker got killed, which is why they outsourced their motor manufacturing).

Can't speak to the ignitor/starter issues...

Since they've been "bought out" by AeroTech, it seems reasonable to believe that the changes that will inevitably go along with that have SOME bearing on the situation... what that might be-- who knows...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... Quest has a pretty long history of "vaporware" and other such unfulfilled announcements which turn out in the end to be nothing... so it's not exactly a new development...

Last edited:
Apogee is showing that they'll be in stock on July 31, 2015. So there's that to look forward to...

And Aerotech will update their catalog a decade after that

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

And Aerotech will update their catalog a decade after that

Frankly, if updating their catalog means we have to see that "windchime" picture they use for their current ad again then I'd prefer they don't bother.

Yeah that "windchime ad" weirds me out. I don't get it - what's the deal with the windchime anyway?. It's an awful photo and a pretty bad ad. In fact I just got my latest NAR magazine, and yep, there it was again on the back cover. I'm really surprised the folks pictured in the ad didn't rebel when they saw the photo - not that they probably had any choice, but I gotta think that at least one of them was horrified that Aerotech chose that photo.

s6

Yeah that "windchime ad" weirds me out. I don't get it - what's the deal with the windchime anyway?. It's an awful photo and a pretty bad ad. In fact I just got my latest NAR magazine, and yep, there it was again on the back cover. I'm really surprised the folks pictured in the ad didn't rebel when they saw the photo - not that they probably had any choice, but I gotta think that at least one of them was horrified that Aerotech chose that photo.

s6

I believe that the wind chimes are a reference to a vendor who exchanged a certain brand of motors for AT motors and rendered the AT motors useless by creating wind chimes out of the AT motors. That is my recollection from what I have read on the forum. Of course my memory is not what it used to be ......

I believe that the wind chimes are a reference to a vendor who exchanged a certain brand of motors for AT motors and rendered the AT motors useless by creating wind chimes out of the AT motors. That is my recollection from what I have read on the forum. Of course my memory is not what it used to be ......

Beat me to it!! Something on that order is correct.

The guy in back is Carl who I spent many hours talking during the slow moments at the I Hobby expo. One year we had made a rocket section. AT, LOC and Starlight. Had a great time hanging out with fellow rocket nuts.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

I for one hopes that Aerotech brings the Quest line into light, and takes it forward. Unlike Centuri when Estes absorbed it. I would like to see quest move more toward the direction of MPR, while keeping a line of LPR for the younger enthusists.
Since Aerotich aquired them, I would hope to assume that many of their rockets will be TTW fin design and more high power. I sure would like to see a kit with rocket and motor casings and reloads along with a launch pad and controller for those wanting to start out or move up to MPR all in one shot without locating this that and the other from numerous fendors.
Just my 2 cents.

Frankly, if updating their catalog means we have to see that "windchime" picture they use for their current ad again then I'd prefer they don't bother.

Good point. I'd settle for updated product information on their website.

FYI, Quest was not 'bought' or 'acquired' by AeroTech.

It was a merger of the two companies. 50-50.

Many of the questions asked in this thread can be answered by watching the NARAM-56 Manufacturers' Forum coverage on Chris Taylor's NARAM Live website. The Q2G2 igniters, er, starters are discussed by Bill Stine himself.

I’ve been e-mailing AeroTech at least once a month asking about the Q2 igniters.

Every month they tell me they will arrive “Next Month”.

This has been going on for a year or so.

I’ve had to renew my backorder for the Q2s at Hobbylinc twice now; as Hobbylinc deletes BO’s after sitting on the books for six months.

On the bright side; all my recently purchased AeroTech “Hobbyline” reloads have been arriving with FirstFire(Jr ?) igniters instead of Copperheads.

I’ve been e-mailing AeroTech at least once a month asking about the Q2 igniters.

Every month they tell me they will arrive “Next Month”.

This has been going on for a year or so.

I’ve had to renew my backorder for the Q2s at Hobbylinc twice now; as Hobbylinc deletes BO’s after sitting on the books for six months.

On the bright side; all my recently purchased AeroTech “Hobbyline” reloads have been arriving with FirstFire(Jr ?) igniters instead of Copperheads.

Every month for a year! You'd almost be tempted to give up!

Other motors that also are coming packaged with the FirstFire Junior igniters are the AT E20's, EconoJets, and EconoMax motors. I understand they used to come with copperheads, but mine have all come with FirstFire Junior igniters, which seem to work pretty well.

I think we all need to finally and actually get over the fact that Q2G2s are gone, no more, kaput. They are simply not coming back, at least not the way they were.

Yes, they were "just the right thing" for a lot of purposes - ejection charges, reliably lighting BP clusters, etc. But they DO NOT EXIST any more. They just don't.

It's not like there aren't other excellent options - there are tons of cheap sources for good quality ematches that such out there. They work great. Making your own "lighters" that work BETTER than Q2G2s is actually fun and rewarding. Use them and stop wishing Quest/Aerotech will get their sh*# together and start delivering lots of old Q2G2s to your door. It ain't gonna happen.

Yes, I've still got a (small and dwindling) stash of Q2G2s left. I'll use them sparingly and wisely, but when they are gone I've got other great options to fill their place.

R.I.P. Q2G2s, it was great having you around, but I'm ready to move on.

s6

How do you import motors from China and have it still be NAR Certified? Can you even trust their quality and reliability? They're great at cost cutting, not so much quality. That's fine for consumer fireworks but not model rocket motors.

I was always under the impression that all certified motors are made in the USA because I would think the regulations to import such a thing would make overseas manufacturing difficult.

I think we all need to finally and actually get over the fact that Q2G2s are gone, no more, kaput. They are simply not coming back, at least not the way they were.

Yes, they were "just the right thing" for a lot of purposes - ejection charges, reliably lighting BP clusters, etc. But they DO NOT EXIST any more. They just don't.

It's not like there aren't other excellent options - there are tons of cheap sources for good quality ematches that such out there. They work great. Making your own "lighters" that work BETTER than Q2G2s is actually fun and rewarding. Use them and stop wishing Quest/Aerotech will get their sh*# together and start delivering lots of old Q2G2s to your door. It ain't gonna happen.

Yes, I've still got a (small and dwindling) stash of Q2G2s left. I'll use them sparingly and wisely, but when they are gone I've got other great options to fill their place.

R.I.P. Q2G2s, it was great having you around, but I'm ready to move on.

s6

Mem'ries,
Light the motors of my mind
Smokey fire-spitting memories
Of the way we were
Posted pictures,
Of the flights we left behind
Flights we flew with one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
When we just ordered it online?
If we had the chance to launch all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?
Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to backorder
We simply choose to forget
So it's the launches
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

Back