Rocket Mail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketMike

Reaction score
Just saw something on TV that I would have never believed had I not just confirmed it via research on the internet. In the late 1950's the U.S. Postal service and the Navy actually conducted an experiment that involved delivery of mail via guided missile. Apparently the postmaster at the the time was dead serious about it but in the Navy's eyes it was just a a stunt to convince Russia that they could deliver a guided missile anywhere they chose with pinpoint accuracy. Interesting though, especially in this day and age with Amazon talking about using drones to deliver packages.

Talk about delivering messages with impact...

When it absolutely, positively has to be there in 20 minutes.

I saw that Episode of "Mysteries at the Museum" or whatever it is called too. I like that show.
It's a shame how they duped the Postmaster into thinking that it was going to be an everyday thing. He must have felt like a Dolt when he realized that they had gone along with it just because it would be great Propaganda.:(

When I was a Kid, my Dad and I used to collect Stamps. My Mom still has them, so I went over to her House today to snap some Pics' of the Coolest Stamped thing we have.

SpaceShuttleStamps 002.jpg

SpaceShuttleStamps 003.jpg

I saw that Episode of "Mysteries at the Museum" or whatever it is called too. I like that show.
It's a shame how they duped the Postmaster into thinking that it was going to be an everyday thing. He must have felt like a Dolt when he realized that they had gone along with it just because it would be great Propaganda.:(

Yes...that was the show. My wife is always watching those things and the I.D. channel as well. I'm not much for that sort of programming but she had it on this morning.

I know it sounds stupid now, but in 1959, we actually did put a letter into a rocket and launched it from one town to another - Beverly to Edgewater Park, NJ. A Coaster powered, 1.5" dia, 24" long, handmade body tube rocket. I still have the letter with a "Rocket Mail" logo drawn on it.
Even back then, we were always looking for SOMETHING to put in a rocket!

I know it sounds stupid now, but in 1959, we actually did put a letter into a rocket and launched it from one town to another - Beverly to Edgewater Park, NJ. A Coaster powered, 1.5" dia, 24" long, handmade body tube rocket. I still have the letter with a "Rocket Mail" logo drawn on it.
Even back then, we were always looking for SOMETHING to put in a rocket!

I don't think it sounds stupid, I think it sounds AWESOME. Plus, it's great that you were doing Rockets back when they must have still had Magic to them.
Kudos!

Back