iphone telemetry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
You know an iphone or other similar smartphones have an accelerometer, gyro, and a bunch of stuff that allows it to do things. So I was wondering has anyone flown an iphone as some kind of a flight computer/tracker? Like it could not only take pictures or videos, but collect data, and use its location service to help you locate the rocket if it ever got lost (maybe it can even broadcast to another iphone with bluetooth or something). I don't know if it could fire parachutes out but maybe it's worth a try.

Perhaps there's even an app for this.

You know an iphone or other similar smartphones have an accelerometer, gyro, and a bunch of stuff that allows it to do things. So I was wondering has anyone flown an iphone as some kind of a flight computer/tracker? Like it could not only take pictures or videos, but collect data, and use its location service to help you locate the rocket if it ever got lost (maybe it can even broadcast to another iphone with bluetooth or something). I don't know if it could fire parachutes out but maybe it's worth a try.

Perhaps there's even an app for this.

I'm sure it could do those things, except for maybe firing ejection charges, but why would you want to? It's going to be larger and heavier than a flight computer and locator. And it might be cheaper up front since you already have the phone, but if it gets broken or lost you're out a lot more money.

Well we don't have to use the latest iphone, but those 3GS are really cheap.

They're like $130 on amazon. Plus if you wanted service, you'd have to pay for data usage.

I guess I just don't see what the benefit is of using an iPhone.

Look on ebay, they shouldn't cost more than 100 dollars... they are basically obsolete.

As for data usage, get a prepaid card, no plans. It could basically broadcast its position by sending text messages when it detects landing.

But why not? It's got gyro sensors, accelerometers, GPS, and possibly barometric sensor. Maybe it can't be used for chutes but it could record videos, take pictures, and give a realtime acceleration curve, as well as its position relative to the ground. Actually, the GPS could probably sense altitude... Smartphones have been used by stalkers to track someone's position by the way (not that I advocate it) so it makes sense for larger rockets, it could be used to track the rocket itself. It's also not that heavy.

Another feature: Can't find the rocket? Call the phone and you'll hear it...

I've never considered putting my iphone in a rocket.....so I thought about it just now.

A quick look for an app didn't find one were I could use it for my dual deploy rockets. Okay, I'll put it into one of my motor ejection rockets.

I went and looked at all my motor ejection rockets and tried to fit the iphone in them and found I need at least a diameter of 3 inches to just put the iphone in the rocket... the otter box was 4.6 inches in width so it's not going in any rockets I have.

The iphone would fit in my Leviathan and it has a cold air baffle so I don't have to worry about ejection gases blasting the iphone, but how am I going to attach it to the shock cord? If I have it out in the breeze when the rocket lands will the iphone survive the landing? Okay - I'll attach it to the inside of the rocket. If I want to shoot video I'd have to make a window.

Weighed my old iphone 4 that is sitting around. It is 10.4 oz. My Leviathan is 22.6 oz and I get 1706' on a G54. When I add the 10.4 oz it looks like I'll get about 1360' on the same motor. And the speed off the launch is slower and I need a longer rod.

Now I would need to get a pre-paid card so I have cell signal. I looked on the internet and found one for $7 but where I normally launch I lost cell signal walking to where one of my rockets landed yesterday.

So, I could do this exercise, but the added weight would compromise the performance, I would be unsure if the iphone would survive launching and landing, and probably not have cell signal where it lands.

For my situation it does not seem practical. YMMV

Iphones are large and heavy and about a hundred dollars, for a bit more money you can buy an EggtimerTRS starter set for $120 that weighs a lot less and have Conman13 assemble it for you if don't feel comfortable soldering. And the Eggtimer TRS weighs a lot less at 25 grams plus battery, and no cell service, no worries.
https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/

Iphones are large and heavy and about a hundred dollars, for a bit more money you can buy an EggtimerTRS starter set for $120 that weighs a lot less and have Conman13 assemble it for you if don't feel comfortable soldering. And the Eggtimer TRS weighs a lot less at 25 grams plus battery, and no cell service, no worries.
https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/

But you don't get a HD camera!

iPhone would make a lousy platform for an IMU, its expensive and relatively closed. There are much better open source solutions freely available.

Also I think its still technically illegal to have a cell phone transmitting above a certain altitude but I hear that rule is set to change.

Ok, I did not know that, I only assumed that it's not allowed on aircraft. Does that rule apply to mountains? Like if you are on top of a 10,000ft mountain for example. But you can always switch it to flight mode prior to flight.

I think the rule (if it still exists) applies to altitude above ground. So mountains are ok.

FCC rule 47 CFR 22.925 says:

Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.

Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground).

Rocket will classify as aircraft as far as FCC is concerned.

Back