Want to launch an old Aerotech E15 from storage...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_rockit

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm getting back into rocketry after spending at least a decade away. Back around '03 I purchased an Aerotech single-use E15 which was kept in a basement, still in unopened packaging. I'd like to use it for a launch soon, but I wanted to pick the brains of forum readers for any advice on how to get it to ignite reliably. I've read that BP motors have a relatively-indefinite shelf-life as long as they're protected from extreme dryness or moisture; the AP motors aren't so fortunate, as the propellant tends to shrink over time.

Also, does anybody have general advice for a first-time user of an Aerotech single-use motor? I already have a 12V launch controller to use for my planned launch.

Thanks in advance!

Bump.
The E20 has the Same Thrust Curve according to the NAR Site, and can be had in 2 Packs for $13 plus $4 S&H on Amazon from Vendor "Giftable World", so you can always just get some of those to use in the Meantime til' you get some answers here.
I don't know much about how long Composite Motors last for so I can't give you anything but my suggestion of getting some Brand New ones.

Hello all,

I'm getting back into rocketry after spending at least a decade away. Back around '03 I purchased an Aerotech single-use E15 which was kept in a basement, still in unopened packaging. I'd like to use it for a launch soon, but I wanted to pick the brains of forum readers for any advice on how to get it to ignite reliably. I've read that BP motors have a relatively-indefinite shelf-life as long as they're protected from extreme dryness or moisture; the AP motors aren't so fortunate, as the propellant tends to shrink over time.

Also, does anybody have general advice for a first-time user of an Aerotech single-use motor? I already have a 12V launch controller to use for my planned launch.

Thanks in advance!

Old ones sometimes work fine, sometimes do not. They sometimes do not light the first try and take a few igniters. If you are buying igniters, you might use more than the motor costs. E15 are white lightning that make not age well. Some long delays or chuffing on the pad are common issues. Fly it in a rocket that you are not too attached to.

You might be able to clean it out with a tiny wire brush, but most single use motors are tough to get inside to scrape any corrosion off the grain faces.

An old E15 may be tough to light, white lightning propellant develops an oxidation layer much faster than other composite motors. For reloadable motors, the slot of the grains can be sanded, but single use motors with small nozzles, and an offset C-Slot, there's little you can do. Sometimes it's difficult to just to get an igniter in an old E15. Old composite motors using blue thunder propellant, on the other hand, light very well (e.g. D21, E30). I've flown some recently over 15 years old.

I just got my hands on the motor; turns out it's really an E30 and not the E15 I remembered. I have a lot more confidence knowing its a blue thunder! Will let everybody know how well it flies later this week.

Back