Newbie from South Jersey/Parachute & Streamer Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDOwens

Reaction score
Somehow rocketry escaped my youth. Back in the 90s my nephews got involved and I sent one of them a rocket I picked up at a hobby store. About a month ago the Scouts set off some rockets. My seven year old son and I were most impressed. This week my sister gave the boy a RTF Estes Riptide. We had a blast launching that.

Today I went out and saw a club launch some more advanced rockets. I think we're going to like this. :)

One question I have not found the answer to. I see some folks interchange parachutes and streamers on the same rocket. If the shock cord is glued in, how does one take one out for the other?

This forum is fun to read!

Riptide: First Flight
by Robert Owens, on Flickr

Welcome! Parachutes are usually just looped to the shock cord with a simple knot. Some folk use quick links. Really depends on the size of rocket. Every rocket I fly, the chute can be removed in a few seconds.

I use fishing lure snap swivels. Tie the parachute to the swivel and tie a loop in the shock cord.

Makes for quick changes. Although for heavier rockets I use 3/16 quick links.

Thank you. That makes sense. I am looking to build an Estes Wizard.

Thank you. That makes sense. I am looking to build an Estes Wizard.

Hi new guy :) Just resist the temptation to stuff a C6-7 into it, you'd most likely never see it again. One thing that really help high flights is to have a chrome mylar streamer, all that flash makes it much easier to find when coming down.

One post here lately showed a fleet of Wizards of all different sizes, many will really like a design and will upscale (or downscale) a rocket many times. I really like the Estes RAMJET, I've built rockets from a mini motored to a 6X that I fly mostly on AeroTech K550 but did fly on a Kosdon L1100.

Estes is having a big sale, you can find the thread in the Watering Hole.

Subscribe to Hobby Linc and they send out a weekly flier with some good savings,

https://www.hobbylinc.com/

Have fun, ask more questions and post photos :)

Mylar is better than nylon for a streamer? I took a look at the NARTREK Bronze certification. I thought a Wizard could double on the parachute and streamer requirements.

Welcome. A C6-7 will be fun in that rocket, but once you try out the composite motors, you will be hooked. Composite 18mm D motors are fun in small rockets on calm days. :cool:

Welcome. A C6-7 will be fun in that rocket, but once you try out the composite motors, you will be hooked. Composite 18mm D motors are fun in small rockets on calm days. :cool:

Composite 18mm motors are an expensive and rediculous suggestion to give a brand new flyer for their first small model rocket, particularly someone new to the hobby.

RD: If you want to Loose your brand new Wizard on it's first flight (even with the supplied Streamer) go ahead an stick the Largest motor (C6-7) in it.
It always much better to fly a new model on one of the smaller suggersted motors So YOU can learn what to expect in altitude and Drift from YOUR model on Your Flying Field.

Don't give in to the temptation to go with a heavy thrust and longest delay motor until you are familar with the performance and drift rate of your models. Once you have a few flights you'll know what to expect and can go with larger thrust longer or shorter delay motors to get the performance and recovery that you want.

Last edited:
Mylar is better than nylon for a streamer? I took a look at the NARTREK Bronze certification. I thought a Wizard could double on the parachute and streamer requirements.

While the wizard could be used for both NarTrek Bronze level PD and SD model flights it would be a bit less of a chore getting a small chute in a Estes Alpha as it has a larger OD body diameter BT-50 (.976") rather then the wizards BT-20(.736").

Snap swivels are the answer to quick (on the field) change from chute to streamer. Presonally I use #14 for most small Model rockets. with #12's for some of the larger body models. #2 for LRM (Large Model Rockets) Up to about 3lbs.)

Mylar (Giftwrap, or strips) make very nice Streamers. You can also use large width ribbon, 2" caution tape, or 1" surveyors tape for Streamers. Light weight RipStop Nylon does make fine streamer material but it is much heavier taking up a lot more room in the model.

Your Wizard should come with a 1" x 36" orange surveyors tape streamer.

If you want to add a Plastic Parasheet (Estes chutes are NOT parachutes) I'd sugges an 8" or 9" rather than the usual 12" unless you cut a large center spill hole in it. even your 8" should have at least a 1/2" apex spill hole to help eliminate the oscillation caused by these non-porous plastic parasheet air spilling around the outside edge.

Simply spit the chute as shown an the chute instructions and tip off a little piece of the apex with a pair of scissors.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I have been reading a lot today. I like what I am reading. I think my boy and I will be having a blast in this hobby.

Back