G-Force Dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my next build. I figure it would be a good starting point for DD without spending too much cash. I thnk Giant Leaps couplers will fit the airframe. They also sell the double walled coupler which would be a good choice.

Any suggestions I'm open

LOC has the 3.9" ELECTRONICS BAY LONG VERSION + 15" PAYLOAD TUBE as a single item. I've never ordered one, but should have everything you need except the altimeter.

You are aware if you add the DD to the G-Force it will heavier and have to be flown with H or larger motors. Since that is the case, my suggestion would be to consider a similar sized kit with a 38mm hole. I think you will enjoy the larger variety of motors you can use in the L1 range with a 38mm MMT instead of being restricted to 29mm. Even the LOC HyperLOC 835 would be good. It's 54mm MMT, but is DD and comes with all the shock cords and chutes. If you build it a little heavy at 70 oz instead of the advertised 60 oz, it will still get over 700 ft on a baby H like the AT H128W.

Last edited:
LOC has the 3.9" ELECTRONICS BAY LONG VERSION + 15" PAYLOAD TUBE as a single item. I've never ordered one, but should have everything you need except the altimeter.

You are aware if you add the DD to the G-Force it will heavier and have to be flown with H or larger motors. Since that is the case, my suggestion would be to consider a similar sized kit with a 38mm hole. I think you will enjoy the larger variety of motors you can use in the L1 range with a 38mm MMT instead of being restricted to 29mm. Even the LOC HyperLOC 835 would be good. It's 54mm MMT, but is DD and comes with all the shock cords and chutes. If you build it a little heavy at 70 oz instead of the advertised 60 oz, it will still get over 700 ft on a baby H like the AT H128W.

I'll look into it. Good idea.

So a 38 would be a better choice as far kit selection. I sent a GFORCE up on an H250 and still hit about 2000' didn't think it would make that much difference with the extra components? The GFORCE would still take an "I" motor and push it up further. There are a lot of choices. I was considering a DD kit from WM like the DarkStar JR but I like the larger diameter rockets

So a 38 would be a better choice as far kit selection. I sent a GFORCE up on an H250 and still hit about 2000' didn't think it would make that much difference with the extra components? The GFORCE would still take an "I" motor and push it up further. There are a lot of choices. I was considering a DD kit from WM like the DarkStar JR but I like the larger diameter rockets

I believe the 38mm would be a much better choice. My quick sim shows a 4" 32 oz rocket (GForce specs) on an H250 going 1830 ft. Adding 24 oz, (56 oz total) for and av-bay, altimeter, battery payload tube and drogue chute would drop altitude by 25%. Also, the I200W is a very baby I motor (only 10ns over the minimum Iand will only get you about 600 ft over the H250G, 2100 ft instead of 1500. In either case, flying DD, I would think you would want more altitude then 2000 ft you can get on the 29mm I. A 38mm I284W should push the that 56 oz 4" rocket to about 3500 ft. Even the CTI 5G I297 Skidmark will get you 3200 ft.

The right choice is what fits your profile. Is this a stepping stone to the full range of L1 and later L2? Do you want to eventually fly the really big stuff? Or is your goal to be able to fly your limited fleet at both sport and high power?

A couple things to keep in mind is that most people don't complicate their L1 flight with doing dual deployment. And the G Force would only hit 1200 feet with a H165. Not that you can't do dual deployment, but it is well within sight, and shouldn't drift too far.

But if you will be flying mostly high power, than the rocket will not give you as wide a range of motors that something with a 38 mm mount will give you.

Kirk

I loved my (RIP) G-Force and can't wait to build its replacement which is sitting in a box in the garage. That being said, the design of this rocket is a "dead end" as far as high power rocketry goes. Yes, you "can" with some modifications launch it on H impulse motors (and I guess "I" impluse as well?), but you are really limited. It won't teach you anything about putting together high power kits.

My second high power rocket was a LOC IV and I really enjoyed building it. It really flies awesome on the MANY 38mm motors out there and a friend of mine easily added dual deploy to his. Nothing like an I327 Dark Matter to please a crowd!

When I build my new G-Force, it will fly the local parks on "G" motors along with my Sumo. The G64W motor is the perfect fit for this kit. I also fly my LOC IV at the local park on Aerotech single grain 38mm motors.... makes for a nice loud, smokey lob to about 800 ft or so. When I travel to launch events, I bring that same LOC IV and stuff an H148R in it and let it rip!

"Dead end"???

Come on guys.....I've done DD Wart Hogs.....DD Astro B's...... 38mm Mirage....all using the stock CR's & fins, and most other supplied parts......just use your imagination !

THEY WILL HOLD UP!

Ya know last year I started to build a 38 motor G-force, I just reamed out the fiber Cr's with a dremel.

I have done this on other AT kits, the Mirage for instance. Used all stock parts, just shortened the plastic fin tabs, to fit 38mm motor tubes. Used the stock couplers for av-bays, BUT # 6 threaded rod to keep the av-bay light. Flown the heck out that one even on AMW I-315 skids back in the day. Still have it, but it's about 3 ft shorter than when it first flew....LOL

I need to finish that G-Force....Hmmmm maybe wrap a layer of 6oz around the tube and switch to 54mm.

Last edited:
There have been more than one thread on this exact topic within the last couple of months. Do a search and you will probably find lots of suggestions and advice.

I just finished and flew mine. I made the coupler my AV bay. It works and flies great.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

Back