5 Times A Fool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I got to thinking. The 7.5" LOC body tubes come in two 30" pieces with a coupler. I could easily make a stretch version. I also found another possible font on my PC at work, called "Screwball".

Wow! That's huge! But it will still fit fully assembled under a standard ceiling, so it should not require significant remodeling of your home.

We've mostly been talking about the graphics, so my first reaction to the stretch version is that it would reduce the relative scale of the graphics. So that's a minus. But the larger rocket is pretty cool! I like the Warlock, but I like the proportions of the Doorknob a little bit better --- it is 10" longer. I think a 10" to 20" extension might be nice. Does LOC sell a 40" tube like what I am guessing they use in the Doorknob? Maybe they'll even cut you a custom size?

I like the new screwball font. It's not as evil, but still deranged.

I think the clown needs to be rotated 90* so when the rocket is in launch position he is facing correctly.

I think it would be good to see it this way for comparison. Does it look better oriented with the text? Or is right side up on the pad better?

I like the longer version,screwball.Another cool build from the master builder.:w:

I like the longer version, too. But I also like the shorter version. And no, I'm not going to build both!

I think the clown needs to be rotated 90* so when the rocket is in launch position he is facing correctly.

Yeah, but then the text will be sideways to the clown.

Build the shorter version first, then when you decide you want the longer version, add a payload section and make it dual deploy :)

But if I build it dual deploy, then it won't be a dumb rocket.

I don't know, I usually feel pretty dumb when I think of the money I spend on rockets.

This part, the design, is free. The building can cost a bit. But it's the flying that makes us all Five Times (or more) a Fool!

You say "Dual Deploy" like it's a bad thing.

Brings the rocket down nearby even in windy conditions...biggest advantage that I see.

BTW, have you seen my collection of av-bays? LOL!

You say "Dual Deploy" like it's a bad thing.

Brings the rocket down nearby even in windy conditions...biggest advantage that I see.

BTW, have you seen my collection of av-bays? LOL!

No, but I haven't seen any of your dual deploy flights, either. :tongue:

I have seven of them, three DD altimeters, an assortment of Crazy Jim's "better" package and several packages of long Q2G2's, a pound of "special sauce", a number of sewn tubular nylon shock cords (2 and 3 loops), several closed forward closures and am converting most of the fleet to dual deploy.

Following the windy conditions on the the launch days of the last couple of years, I vowed to never find myself discouraged from flying because of the long wind driven chases.

I have four altimeters, a dual deploy controller, and a timer. So far, all I've used is one of the altimeters twice, in Milestone. Dual Deploy adds a level of complexity that doesn't appeal to me right now. I'm sure that will change, though, if I fly more DD flights. It is really cool, I must admit.

I'm going to order another RRC2+ and a couple of the MissileWorks/Landru 3D printed sleds.

Turns out there's truth in the statement that it's better to build airframes then altimeter sleds. Sleds are too labor intensive so buying them outright is a time saving step.

My sleds were easy to make. Just a piece of plywood with tubes epoxied to them. But mounting the altimeters is tedious.

I got the decal. It is a clear self adhesive decal. It's a little smaller in person than I expected.

clown_decal1.jpg

Hard to tell how big or not big the decal is in your picture.

Can you mount it on the body tube so that it's oriented along or follows the rocket name?

Back