5 Times A Fool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a cool design.

Keep the clown away from the Awareness rocket. He does not look like he has honorable intentions.

Yes, the separate body tube ring is just to get the color in Open Rocket. The image with the decal on it I did in Photoshop. I haven't been able to figure out how to put a decal on in OR.

The AT J401 and J415 both give it 40fps off the rail. A CTI J760 will give it 50fps. I think those are reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to fly it slower if the wind is calm. I flew 5FDP on a J250 that simmed at 37fps with no problems.

A Warlock with a ring around the fins would be cool! It would add quite a bit of drag, though.

I'm sure the 40fps and high 30's would be fine. The ones that are below 30fps might be a concern. I've been creeping my high-drag pod rocket down with slower and slower takeoff speed, and it is still taking off perfectly straight with speeds in the mid 30's.

I think I like Happy Days.

Happy Days has more a a "fool" vibe. Xerker has more of a "Crazy Clown" vibe. Both are pretty good.

If you put the text on two lines, I like the break between "Times" and "A" better than between "A" and "Fool" --- it reads better that way. You probably have enough room to actually run the text in a single line from near the bottom up between the fins to the Crazy Clown, if you wanted to. That way there would be no breaks at all.

Yes... Hmmmm...

I think I like it on a single line for the way it reads --- it doesn't break up the name. But I'm not sure about aesthetically. I might need to defer to the judgement of others who have a better eye for this kind of thing. What is your feeling?

Yes... Hmmmm...

I think I like it on a single line for the way it reads --- it doesn't break up the name. But I'm not sure about aesthetically. I might need to defer to the judgement of others who have a better eye for this kind of thing. What is your feeling?

Regardless of the font, I definitely prefer it on one line.

Fool me once -- shame on you.
Fool me twice --- shame on me.
Fool me five times --- shame on the criminally insane clown.

I don't want to derail your thread with a discussion about the ring-fin Warlock --- I'll start a new thread on it if I decide to pursue it. But here is the basic idea.

This is what an Estes Curvilinear looks like:

Estes-Curvilinear-Model-Rocket.jpg

It's s small rocket for mini A10-3 engines. The proportions are very similar to the Warlock's, so I thought you could probably add a similar ring fin (if that is the right term) to a a Warlock for a cool Sci-Fi look. Here's the basic idea.

Warlock-tube-fin.jpg

I't's not exactly to scale with the Curvilinear, because the ring on the Warlock has to be big enough for a rail to fit through. This is 11" in diameter to give about 1.5" clearance, and scale would be closer to 9", I think. Curvilinear is also a 4-fin rocket, while the Warlock is 3.

Anyway, it's just an idea I've been mulling over. I want to keep it flyable on L1 motors, so this might add enough weight and drag that it would move more into the L2 range, in which case i would not do it. I had a similar issue with the pod rocket modifications I made to a Mega Der Red Max --- it is kind of heavy and draggy for G motors now, and the weight is what forced me to try for L1.

Like is said, I don't want to distract from your thread, but thought you might want to see what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Now that is a cool design! I was imagining a ring around the outside perimeter of the fins. But I really like this!

Now that is a cool design! I was imagining a ring around the outside perimeter of the fins. But I really like this!

Thanks! I think it would be pretty cool too. I'll start a thread on it soon to get some ideas together. I haven't got the Warlock kit yet, and I'm not certain I'll go this way with it when I do get it, but it's still fun to explore the ideas.

You know, I got to thinking. The 7.5" LOC body tubes come in two 30" pieces with a coupler. I could easily make a stretch version. I also found another possible font on my PC at work, called "Screwball".

I like the longer version,screwball.Another cool build from the master builder.:w:

I think the clown needs to be rotated 90* so when the rocket is in launch position he is facing correctly.

Back