5 Times A Fool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm telling myself that this is just a design, but we all know I'll most likely build it...

This is kind of a cross between the LOC Warlock and my 5 Finger Death Punch. I like the 5 fin design, for some reason. I'm calling it 5 Times A Fool, just because I like the sound of it. Initially, I was going to call it Foolhardy. I'm finding that I really like big, dumb rockets, and this fits the bill.

LOC 7.5" tubing and nose cone, 1/4" plywood fins, single 54mm motor mount. I found this decal on Ebay that I really like. It might be self-adhesive, though. Not sure if it would work or not.

clown_flames.jpg

fool_decal_2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

View attachment 5_times_a_fool.ork

Come on, you know you want to build it...

Nate

Nice! Good color scheme as befits the evil clown theme.

Even with motor deploy you can use J-power and keep the rocket in sight.

You might want to consider an av-bay in the nosecone just in case you go crazy and want to try the K motor.

Nice! Good color scheme as befits the evil clown theme.

Even with motor deploy you can use J-power and keep the rocket in sight.

You might want to consider an av-bay in the nosecone just in case you go crazy and want to try the K motor.

It requires a pound of nose weight, so there will be a bulkhead in the nose cone. I could easily use a line cutter with it.

I have found Duplicolor doesn't play well here on our side of the Mississip. The paint I get mixed at NAPA on the other hand, does a fine job. Sure is a nice shade though. You gonna turn a nose cone for that one too? The new job btw.

It requires a pound of nose weight, so there will be a bulkhead in the nose cone. I could easily use a line cutter with it.
You should get the redundant pack (2 cable cutters) as the bundled parachute is likely to be on the large size.

The Tender Descender is another option. Here's a link to the Tender Descender handbook on the Fruity Chutes webpage. Check out Method #4, the Drogueless technique. https://fruitychutes.com/Recovery_Tether_Manual.pdf

FruityChutes sells the HDPE L1 version of the Tender Descender that's rated for birds up to 20 lbs and L2 and L3 versions that are rated for heavier birds.

I have found Duplicolor doesn't play well here on our side of the Mississip. The paint I get mixed at NAPA on the other hand, does a fine job. Sure is a nice shade though. You gonna turn a nose cone for that one too? The new job btw.

I found the paint was very translucent. I'm assuming that's why they have a special primer for it.

No, I'll stick with a plastic nose cone. I want it to be hollow.

You should get the redundant pack (2 cable cutters) as the bundled parachute is likely to be on the large size.

The Tender Descender is another option. Here's a link to the Tender Descender handbook on the Fruity Chutes webpage. Check out Method #4, the Drogueless technique. https://fruitychutes.com/Recovery_Tether_Manual.pdf

FruityChutes sells the HDPE L1 version of the Tender Descender that's rated for birds up to 20 lbs and L2 and L3 versions that are rated for heavier birds.

The Tender Descender is certainly an option. But realistically, I'll probably just fly it motor eject.

That clown looks like a real hot-head.

This is a very cool design! Are you at all concerned that the 5-fin design will damage the Warlock's world-famous high performance flight characteristics?

I love big, dumb, low-and-slow rockets. I just decided on getting a Warlock yesterday. I'm thinking about adding a kind of ring fin, like an Estes Curvilinear, but will probably just build it stock.

Is the 2-part body tube a trick for getting the green line to show in OR? I've been trying to get an image to show as a wrap or decal in OR with no luck. It looks like you got the clown to show up just fine. Any tricks to that? I'm trying to add the wrap to a Warlock OR file, so the size of rocket is about the same.

It looks like the sims show some slow speeds off the rail. Is that going to be OK?

I hope you do build this. That will be a cool one to see fly!

That clown looks like a real hot-head.

This is a very cool design! Are you at all concerned that the 5-fin design will damage the Warlock's world-famous high performance flight characteristics?

I love big, dumb, low-and-slow rockets. I just decided on getting a Warlock yesterday. I'm thinking about adding a kind of ring fin, like an Estes Curvilinear, but will probably just build it stock.

Is the 2-part body tube a trick for getting the green line to show in OR? I've been trying to get an image to show as a wrap or decal in OR with no luck. It looks like you got the clown to show up just fine. Any tricks to that? I'm trying to add the wrap to a Warlock OR file, so the size of rocket is about the same.

It looks like the sims show some slow speeds off the rail. Is that going to be OK?

I hope you do build this. That will be a cool one to see fly!

Yes, the separate body tube ring is just to get the color in Open Rocket. The image with the decal on it I did in Photoshop. I haven't been able to figure out how to put a decal on in OR.

The AT J401 and J415 both give it 40fps off the rail. A CTI J760 will give it 50fps. I think those are reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to fly it slower if the wind is calm. I flew 5FDP on a J250 that simmed at 37fps with no problems.

A Warlock with a ring around the fins would be cool! It would add quite a bit of drag, though.

screenshot6.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

Hey... I saw "5 times a fool" and figured this was a 5 motor cluster.

Hey... I saw "5 times a fool" and figured this was a 5 motor cluster.

Nice try. It's because it has 5 fins. Why don't you build one with four outboards? That would be a good project for a young energetic rocketeer.

Hmmmm... Central motor: $30 or so. 4 outboards? $10 each or so. $70 a flight is something I just can't do. :(

Hmmmm... Central motor: $30 or so. 4 outboards? $10 each or so. $70 a flight is something I just can't do. :(

It's the girl, isn't it? She's absorbing all your rocket funds. I guess we'll just have to accept it and hope to see you again in 30 years when you come back as a BAR. :wink:

That's pretty cheap. I'm figuring $165 for the first flight of Bluto, and that's just with one 54mm and two 29mm.

Back