MMX collection help..what rockets missing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdude

Reaction score
I know I need little Joe II yet, I think there are a couple more missing, was hopeful a sharp eyed forum member may tell me what little plastic bricks are missing from my collection?

IMG_20141122_183554_325.jpg

I know I need little Joe II yet, I think there are a couple more missing, was hopeful a sharp eyed forum member may tell me what little plastic bricks are missing from my collection?

Your only missing two the Little Joe II and the X-15, You probably will not find the X15 as it was only available in a Silo Starter set. I haven't seen one in a very long time.

Oh yes...the "other" black rocket/aircraft!...thank you dmo! I would like to duplicate most of these in balsa and quality tube to see how they perform, its a shame china botched the weight and quality on these, you do not often find "toys" like this that could have inspired thousands of children to build flying model rockets....I am greatful we still have the micro maxx motors..hopefully for a long time to come, I am trying to get my local hobby shop to stock motors and fliskits micro to the maxx :)

Thanks for the heads up on the rare X-15 micromiester...maybe if I watch eBay...an older set may show up...

Thanks for the heads up on the rare X-15 micromiester...maybe if I watch eBay...an older set may show up...

If You are looking for an X-15 Micro replacement Might I suggest one of two 130 or 144th scale Plastic Model conversions. The original X-15 LPB was about 130th scale but not a very close scale models.
A couple years back Heller produced a 130th Scale X-15 Plastic model that is a Super easy conversion to fly on MMX-II motors (model #80202). Unfortunately this model is out of production but is still available from some of the larger Plastic model suppliers. The one page plan for this conversion is in the files over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group.
The second is a bit smaller but still very convertible and currently available from DRAGON models the 144th X-15 which comes as a two model set. I haven't done the plan for this particular conversion but it follows just about the same procedure as for the 130th scale.

Both make outstanding flying Model Rockets and with just a little work are good enough to place 4th at a NARAM nation wide contest (as the 130th scale did);)
Hope this helps a little

X15e_X-15 Heller #80202 (MMX) 130th @ 4.40_2001.jpg

252a2_MM X-15 130th PMC Slant_12-21-01.jpg

X15f_X-15 144th Dragon (2 model kit) #DML4631(14.50)_02-12.JPG

387p01a_MM X-15d 144th PMC_04-24-12.jpg

I had not thought of that...would make a great looking model....I think would need a better recovery design than the bricks to protect model....I will have to go look for SR-71 and a few other interesting subjects for possible conversion! :)

A quick search found a SR-71 in 1/200th scale...it was still 6.5 in long(bigger than LPB) so obviously the SR-71 was a much larger aircraft than X-15...I may need smaller scale yet for that model....I will have to research what scales are popular with the scale plastic crowd...I may need something like 1/300th for larger models unless they are molded very thin...I want them to fly.

A quick search found a SR-71 in 1/200th scale...it was still 6.5 in long(bigger than LPB) so obviously the SR-71 was a much larger aircraft than X-15...I may need smaller scale yet for that model....I will have to research what scales are popular with the scale plastic crowd...I may need something like 1/300th for larger models unless they are molded very thin...I want them to fly.

LOL!
I think your looking for a single motor model which might be very difficult is find. Dragon also has a 144th scale SR-71 that Might make a decent 3 motor cluster much like I've done with Estes SR-71.
Since we have the MMX-II-NE "booster" motors it could be possible to fly the larger 144th SR-71 with a core MMX-II and two MMX-II-NE's in the outboard motor pods.
I haven't looked closely at this Dragon Kit as I have so Many other projects in the works. I'd sure like someone to give it a good close look.
As with most of the PMC coversions I'm sure a Dremel Rotary Tool with 1/4" drum sander and 1-1/2" cutoff wheel will be very handy in enlarging internal bodytube/motor tube openings and cutting off nose pieces.
Stability and added Nose weight required are easily determined by making two Cardboard cut-out profiles. One top view and One side view. Balance these on the edge of a ruler marking the balance point which indicates the (LCP) Laterial Center of Pressure for each profile.
measure the distance from the tip of the nose to the LCP's, Add the two together then divide by 2 to get the average LCP for the PMC conversion. Transfer this LCP to the plastic model that you have taped temporarly together and tape a piece of string to the LCP then add clay to the nose until the model balances horizontally on the string. The amount of clay you've added is the amount you'll need to add to the inside of the model nose to get a safe and stable flying PMC (Plastic Model Conversion).

Ps: PMC is my Forth most favorite Model rocket catagory. Micro-Maxx, Clustering, SCALE, then PMC:)

013-sm_SR-71 Blackbird 3C+_03-10-88.jpg

013Lp06a_3-C6 SR-71 Blackbird Liftoff(Manassas Va)_07-1990.jpg

013Lp06d_3pic 3-C6 SR-71 Blackbird Flt(Manassas VA)_07-90.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct in thinking I want a single motor sr-71....the clustered 1/144 scale sr-71 is a sweet idea, but I would like to get a couple plastic model conversions under my belt before attempting a cluster :)
You are the first one to explain how to balance a model to be stable in a way that is clear...thank you!
I found a kind of rare sr-71 in 1/288 scale!...that might be do-able on single motor...also found the X-15 and X-1 in 1/144...that should get my feet wet in PMC...I am quite fascinated by PMC rocketry.

This is a 1/220 scale model SR-71 next to LPB... Mr Quest took some major liberty with the shape to make LPB a single motor model.....I can not pass a motor mount thru the body and retain scale looks (you guys knew that all ready huh?)...lol! What my photo does not show is the center of fuse body tapers down to perhaps .040 thick because there WAS no center motor (blush) BUT, with major surgery could sculpt in a motor mount that looks somewhat better than LPB....micromiesters cluster idea is sounding better to me all ready...

IMG_20141124_231312_423.jpg

Last edited:
You are the first one to explain how to balance a model to be stable in a way that is clear...thank you!
I found a kind of rare sr-71 in 1/288 scale!...that might be do-able on single motor...also found the X-15 and X-1 in 1/144...that should get my feet wet in PMC...I am quite fascinated by PMC rocketry.[/QUOTE]

You are quite welcome. Always glad to pass on lessons learned over the years. I think my current flying PMC collection has about 35 or so different models.

Well the X-15 in 1/144th will work but unfortunately the 1/144th X-1 is just too small to accept any kind of inner bodytube/motor mount, not to mention it would require cutting about half the tail off to get a MMX motor alone in.
Awhile back I did a 1/72 Bell X-1 the flew but not very well only gets about 8feet on a single MMX-II. I did a lot of internal excess plastic removal but NOT nearly enough for a decent flying micro PMC:(

Don't be afraid to look at 1/100th and even 1/72 models for Micro Power. They sometimes take a bit more time removing most of the interior excess plastic to make them light enough but can make for some interesting models.

254a1_MM Bell  X-1_72 PMC_12-19-01.jpg

Just to be clear...when balance with clay, the model should also have a "live" motor loaded in the model during the balance process....correct?

Yes You are correct:
Once you have the LCP from the cardboard cutouts. You'll need to tape or rubber band the model into Flight configuration with all the pastic parts that are to be used on the finished model, all internal components (Body tube, Sleeve tubes, nosecone or nosecone shoulder, Motor mount or motor block with Shock-line, recovery device) and an unused full MMX-II motor). but the model doesn't need to be glued up or Painted at all.

I find that 3m Blue painters tape works well for this process as it sticks will but removes easily without leaving an adhesive residue.
Below are a few photos of some PMC builds using the process we've been talking about. There should be Build threads in both the MMX and LPR forums of this site if you want to see more or less the step by step conversion process.
Hope this stuff helps.

MM 387uc02a_Major body parts Taped for tracing_03-25-12.JPG

MM 387uc02c_2 view Cardboard cutouts complete_03-25-12.JPG

MM 387uc2e_X-15 144th FS Cardboard Cutouts Scan_04-04-12.jpg

MM 387uc05_T2 nose Shoulder added to T2+ spacer_03-25-12.JPG

6xx-uc03d_set aside for MC to completely dry_08-21-11.jpg

6xxuc02_2 profile Cardboard cutouts for X-3_08-14-11.jpg

683uc02b1_Snark SM-62_96th dryfit 33.1g (13mm) PMC_02-02-12.jpg

683uc03_Snark SM-62 2 view Cardboard cutouts_02-04-12.JPG

684uc03_BT-5 Motor and Nose tubes_02-06-12.jpg

684uc05_Motor-Body Tube with Shockcord & anchor_02-19-12.jpg

Last edited:
The pics and info are extremely helpful!....let's say I was going to PMC an actual plastic model "Rocket" rather than an airplane...something like one of the smaller rockets in the AMT man in space 1:200 scale set I just picked up at hobby lobby for $18...or just 3 fins and a nose cone type plastic model rockets...is just "one" cardboard template needed for calculate LCP on these type rockets?... and if so... how to make accurate template on a 3 fin rocket as the side view changes contantly as you spin the rocket on body tube axis as you view fins...hope this question makes sense?

Yes:
Symmetrical profiles only need one cutout.
for 3fin cutouts I use two full size fin planforms just to be on the safe side. It does make the model a little over stable but I'd rather err on the side of safety when it comes to PMC. Most competition flyers refer to PMC as "Plastic Death" or "Plastic Re-kiting" Competition.
One more thing about PMC stability: after the model is fully assembled and finished perform a swing test to be sure everything has worked out as we expect. Sometimes because the Nose weight mass can't be gotting far enough forward it may become necessary to add a bit more to get a passing swing test.

Great buy on the ATM "Man in Space" collection model. EVERYTHING in that Kit is Very convertable. even the LEM's. Don't have photos of the Saturn-V or 1B which fly on standard C6 motors but everything else is micro powered.

MM 249a1_MM Merc-Redstone_200 PMC_11-29-01.jpg

MM 249a2_Comp. Merc-Redstone,Atlas &Gemini-Titan.jpg

MM 250a1_MM Merc-Atlas_200 PMC_12-22-01.jpg

MM 251a1_MM Gemini-Titan_200 PMC_12-22-01.jpg

MM 255a1-sm_MM LEM_200 PMC_01-09-02.jpg

MM 255c4-sm_LEM 200 PMC pg_01-12-02.jpg

Has the little Joe II LPB become rare as well? I found a couple online but all in foreign country's.... not sure if they would except my order...or if shipping would exceed the value of rocket!

Has the little Joe II LPB become rare as well? I found a couple online but all in foreign country's.... not sure if they would except my order...or if shipping would exceed the value of rocket!

Sort of:
I haven't seen any listed on e-Bay for awhile now. It was also one of the LPB's that were offered in Starter Sets. Can't recall if it was ever available for seperate model purchase, But I do know it wasn't one of the models sold in the super Value Starter Sets (SVSS) a few years back.
The Little Joe-II has a bit of a stability problem like the small fin Saturn-V, Little Joe-II just needs a little additional Nose weight to be stable in any wind at all.

MM 284a-sm_MM Little Joe II (Quest RTF)_08-11-03.jpg

MM 284c-sm_MM Quest LPB Little Joe-II reworked_08-28-07.jpg

MM 284Lp06a_Little Joe-II LPB on pad for 6th flight_07-19-14.jpg

I just started the cluster PMC conversion of the Dragon SR-71A Blackbird.
Looks like the model will be a pretty heavy until removing some of the internal excess plastic. with internal T2+ and T3 tubes, Balsa and other parts I'm looking at about 35g finished mass less motors.

SR-71A BlackBird_144th Scale Dragon #4639 PMC_12-10-14.JPG

My latest addition to my micro maxx collection thanks to a very helpful forum member! I have all the little plastic bricks now except the X-15IMG_20150103_105325_851.jpg

Back