Estes Sale Again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo_wire

Reaction score
I probably am not the first to point this out -- but Estes has a sale going once again.

Same stuff as in past sales, but really good prices and PS2's for $27.

Two Leviathans for $50 -- ready to give Level One a shot!

(I am aware of the negatives to doing a L1 with a Leviathan -- it goes too high, it's too limiting since it can't handle anything bigger than a small H, it's not "really" a L1 if it can only take an H that barely fits the classification, it's a kit .... but for me L1 is an end goal, not a starting point, and after pricing out scratch builds that would be pretty similar to a Leviathan, the price can't be beat.)

Must............resist............saving..................for..................wildmans'..................black...............saturday

Like that patch. I got mine in 1982.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown , IN.

I probably am not the first to point this out -- but Estes has a sale going once again.

Same stuff as in past sales, but really good prices and PS2's for $27.

Two Leviathans for $50 -- ready to give Level One a shot!

(I am aware of the negatives to doing a L1 with a Leviathan -- it goes too high, it's too limiting since it can't handle anything bigger than a small H, it's not "really" a L1 if it can only take an H that barely fits the classification, it's a kit .... but for me L1 is an end goal, not a starting point, and after pricing out scratch builds that would be pretty similar to a Leviathan, the price can't be beat.)

Nice deal! I did my L1 on a PSII kit --- a modified Mega Der Red Max. Too bad they don't have those for sale at a huge discount, because they make a pretty good L1 rocket, and they don't go quite as high. You should be able to do an L1 with a Leviathan --- I know that others have done it. The biggest risk will probably be having the rocket go very very high! You have to get it back to get the cert. Of course, you do have 2 of them, so you can always try again if it ends up going somewhere over the rainbow to Oz.

Just be sure you do not use the optional motor block when you build the motor mount, or the H motor will not fit.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with trying for your L1 with the Leviathan, and now it is even easier with the Aerotech Single-Use DMS motors. Because there is a risk to the rocket from going too high, I would recommend using a DMS motor. That way, you don't put any expensive motor hardware at risk too. Plus, you can brag that you got your L1 for less than 60 bucks for the kit and the motor! I used a single-use H115DM for my cert flight, and it was great! You might want to do a G motor or two before you do your cert flight to get a feel for whether you think you will get it back or not on an H. But if it seems OK, I'd say go for it!

Good luck!

Nice deal! I did my L1 on a PSII kit --- a modified Mega Der Red Max. Too bad they don't have those for sale at a huge discount, because they make a pretty good L1 rocket, and they don't go quite as high. You should be able to do an L1 with a Leviathan --- I know that others have done it. The biggest risk will probably be having the rocket go very very high! You have to get it back to get the cert. Of course, you do have 2 of them, so you can always try again if it ends up going somewhere over the rainbow to Oz.

Just be sure you do not use the optional motor block when you build the motor mount, or the H motor will not fit.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with trying for your L1 with the Leviathan, and now it is even easier with the Aerotech Single-Use DMS motors. Because there is a risk to the rocket from going too high, I would recommend using a DMS motor. That way, you don't put any expensive motor hardware at risk too. Plus, you can brag that you got your L1 for less than 60 bucks for the kit and the motor! I used a single-use H115DM for my cert flight, and it was great! You might want to do a G motor or two before you do your cert flight to get a feel for whether you think you will get it back or not on an H. But if it seems OK, I'd say go for it!

Good luck!

I agree with Thirsty, it's definitely possible although you probably want to use a small H motor (H115DM is great since there is no hardware to use). Good luck for L1! Any modifications you're planning for it? I'd recommend internal fillets to strengthen the fins, and maybe a stronger shock cord/mount.

I'm going to try to fly a F50T, then G74W, then H54W in my MDRM in 2 weeks hopefully. The PSII kits are great, even if they are a bit fragile compared to other brands. However, since they are so light, you can fly a much wider motor range than heavier kits.

No Mosquito :( Was going to replace the one I have been punishing with G motors.

I bought a couple dozen 002462 - Sky Duster™ for launch day giveaways. $3.99 will generate a smile that you won't soon forget.

John

I got my L1 on a Leviathan and an H128. Flies great! You can easily modify to put an AV bay in between the two BT's. You can't go wrong for this price.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Just bought six rockets, including three Pro Series II's - Leviathan included. Got two Cosmic Explorers - one of my favorite Skill Level 1 rockets so far - which I intend to bash to take larger motors.

I think I now have to stop buying rockets for a while. I "saved" a ton of money, but somehow I spent a lot of it...

Just bought six rockets, including three Pro Series II's - Leviathan included. Got two Cosmic Explorers - one of my favorite Skill Level 1 rockets so far - which I intend to bash to take larger motors.

I think I now have to stop buying rockets for a while. I "saved" a ton of money, but somehow I spent a lot of it...

Well, the more you spend, the more you save!

As long as you don't get swept up in the moment, and you really want to build all the kits you buy, then this is a great opportunity. Unfortunately, it is possible to overdo it, or at least get some kits that don't really meet your needs. I just sold a ton of rockets, most of which I got at the Fry's clearance about a year ago for a great price, and some I got at an Estes holiday sale. I may have broken even, but I'm not certain. I just ended up with more MPR and LPR kits than I needed, and my interest has moved to more HPR, so the timing was off. Most of what I recouped by selling the extras will go toward some HPR and larger MPR kits. So it all works out in the end.

One thing that is really cool about these sales is the chance to get rockets for kit bashing, as you mentioned.

Thanks I guess lol

redeemed 314 LP from last year + free shipping got out with money left for BS sale :)

Well, the more you spend, the more you save!

As long as you don't get swept up in the moment, and you really want to build all the kits you buy, then this is a great opportunity. Unfortunately, it is possible to overdo it, or at least get some kits that don't really meet your needs. I just sold a ton of rockets, most of which I got at the Fry's clearance about a year ago for a great price, and some I got at an Estes holiday sale. I may have broken even, but I'm not certain. I just ended up with more MPR and LPR kits than I needed, and my interest has moved to more HPR, so the timing was off. Most of what I recouped by selling the extras will go toward some HPR and larger MPR kits. So it all works out in the end.

One thing that is really cool about these sales is the chance to get rockets for kit bashing, as you mentioned.

I definitely only picked out rockets that I liked. There were a couple I was considering, and when I let myself catch my breath from hyperventilating a all the HUGE DEALS, I realized I wasn't nuts about them.

I do wish the V-2 or Big Daddy were on sale.

I desperately want a Leviathan but I'm on an extremely tight hobby budget and can never seem to get the times I actually have funds to spend to match up with when Estes is having these sales. I was all set to buy a Leviathan at Hobby Lobby with my trusty 40% off coupon but unfortunately they had stopped carrying them by the time I had money in hand. Am I to understand that Estes is discontinuing the Leviathan?

I desperately want a Leviathan but I'm on an extremely tight hobby budget and can never seem to get the times I actually have funds to spend to match up with when Estes is having these sales. I was all set to buy a Leviathan at Hobby Lobby with my trusty 40% off coupon but unfortunately they had stopped carrying them by the time I had money in hand. Am I to understand that Estes is discontinuing the Leviathan?

There have been rumors that Estes was discontinuing the Leviathan along with the other PSII builder kits for some time, but so far, they keep selling them. Last year they started doing these holiday sales, and I'm pretty sure they always included the PSII builder kits in the holiday sales. Maybe all the holiday sales are a form of slow-motion clearance, but as far as I know, they've never announced an actual formal clearance.

Too bad about the timing problem with the hobby budget! I'm sure you will get another shot, or maybe there's someone who routinely gets you a gift for the holidays and might benefit by receiving a link to this sale item by email? One thing to keep in mind, these rockets can be expensive to fly. I think the Econojet motors are the least expensive, and they are about $27 for a 2-pack from Hobbylinc.

Thanks for letting us know...I've never had one of the PSII kits. I just broke down and ordered a Partizon. I've been looking at the older posts and the gallery. I want to come up with a different paint scheme.

Got my patch late 86 to 87. Stationed in Swabisch Gmund, Germany. It now resides on the drivers seat back of my AM General mail van.

Couldn't resist, had to get a couple mega mosquitos at that price.

Cool to see that they also offer building parts. Tubes, nose cones, couplers. Will have to remember that!

Got an Argent to go with my Mega Der Red Max and Ventris. Also got a MIRV - it intrigues me and it was half price.

There have been rumors that Estes was discontinuing the Leviathan along with the other PSII builder kits for some time, but so far, they keep selling them. Last year they started doing these holiday sales, and I'm pretty sure they always included the PSII builder kits in the holiday sales. Maybe all the holiday sales are a form of slow-motion clearance, but as far as I know, they've never announced an actual formal clearance.

Too bad about the timing problem with the hobby budget! I'm sure you will get another shot, or maybe there's someone who routinely gets you a gift for the holidays and might benefit by receiving a link to this sale item by email? One thing to keep in mind, these rockets can be expensive to fly. I think the Econojet motors are the least expensive, and they are about $27 for a 2-pack from Hobbylinc.

Looks like the Leviathan is already out of stock. I'm glad I found this sale when I did - I have a feeling a lot of stuff will be out of stock by the week's end.

I'm not a fan of the Estes PS2's with wood fins. I'd buy another kit with the plastic fins even though I am about to say fiberglass kits or nothing else.

I'm done with sanding, filling and painting unless it is for competition which may never occur again out here in SoCal.

Glad you got a good deal (and you did!). But The same deal is not for me.

Looks like the Leviathan is already out of stock. I'm glad I found this sale when I did - I have a feeling a lot of stuff will be out of stock by the week's end.

Keep checking back!

In the past Holiday sales, they would often restock during the sale. You might check one day and find an item out of stock. Then check the next day and find it available again. It might run out eventually, but if you really want it, keep checking.

I'm not a fan of the Estes PS2's with wood fins. I'd buy another kit with the plastic fins even though I am about to say fiberglass kits or nothing else.

I'm done with sanding, filling and painting unless it is for competition which may never occur again out here in SoCal.

Glad you got a good deal (and you did!). But The same deal is not for me.

I like the PSII kits with the plywood fins. They are nice rockets, and at these prices are hard to beat. What I really like is that you can build them entirely with wood glue, except for the retainer. Once you go to rockets that require epoxy and fiberglass, you introduce some issues that not everyone wants to deal with.

I wish had money this time of year. It's the worst time for buying rockets for me.
But, I hope my son's will enjoy what I can get for them.
I know the list I gave mama, I just hope she doesn't discriminate againts things that WHOOOOOSHHHHH!
Eat hardy friends, Thanksgiving is always awesone around here! Hope it is for all of your's too.

Well, I couldn't pass it up. Bought two Cosmic Explorers, two Reflectors, a Phoenix Bird, and a pack of A8-3 motors (which no one seems to have in stock around here).

Last edited:
Back