How Many Rocket Engines.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This may very well have been asked before, yet here it goes. At the present, how many rocket engines do you have?

I just bought 5 "Really Useful Boxes" in the 8 liter size, and they weren't quite enough to hold all the motors, so I'm thinking about exchanging them for bigger boxes. So I don't know the exact count, but it's between 40 and 50 liters of motors in various sizes from 18 mm to 29 mm.

Last edited:
I just bought 5 "Really Useful Boxes" in the 8 liter size, and they weren't quit enough to hold all the motors, so I'm thinking about exchanging them for bigger boxes. So I don't know the exact count, but it between 40 and 50 liters of motors in various sizes from 18 mm to 29 mm.

That beats me, I just have an 18" x 18" x 18" WW2 fuse container full...and another one soon be full of all sorts of AT...and CTI :)

A small suitcase full of BP Estes motors from 13mm up to E9's.
A large toolbox full of composite motors and hardware from 24mm up to 38mm.

We've not had a "normal" launch season in several years due to the drought. I haven't bought any Estes motors in that time and very few HP motors.

3 full ammo boxes…
Currently for AP motors:
F27-4 times 2
G125RL
H140CL
G74-6
G74-NE (no BP, will fly in a saucer)
G78-4G
F50-4T times 2

hmmm

H100- 2

I316- 1

H148-1

not much...Need to stock up during wild mans black saturday sales.

That beats me, I just have an 18" x 18" x 18" WW2 fuse container full...and another one soon be full of all sorts of AT...and CTI :)

Part of my problem seems to be that I've got LOTS of motors for rockets I'm not actively flying. I got a bunch of 18mm motors when I got my nephew into rockets about 2 years ago, and we used to fly at the schoolyard. Pretty quickly, I moved on to 24mm, and his interest in rockets waned, leaving a bunch of 18mm that I don't really use. In 24mm, I have a lot of C11's that I don't use very often --- they worked well in one specific rocket I don't fly much anymore. I have a lot of D12's that I was using to fly the many Maxi Alpha 3's I have built for various people and myself when I used to fly mostly at the schoolyard. I do more flying with clubs now, so I have more room and favor E12's in the MA3, leaving the D12's as less useful. Now I'm mostly interested in 29mm...

And here I thought this post was going to be “How many rocket engines. . .does it take to. . .?”

Quite a few actually ranging from ½ A’s up to a couple of J’s. I flew my last “K” motor at Distant Thunder/Argonia.

I’ll need to restock on them before Cloud Burst next April.

Another way to ask this question would be; how much money do you have invested in motors?
After all a guy could have 500 Estes black powder A-D motor and be totally out spent buy the guy who has one great big “O”.

Currently I have about 30 Estes C-F size motors and about 50 E-J size reloads and single use AP motors.

I'm completely out of A & B motors. Sabrina wiped out the 25 A8-3's and 25 B6-4's I ordered from AC supply at LDRS and a few other launches we attended this summer. I'll be restocking another 50 - 60 motors before Spring.

I just bought 5 "Really Useful Boxes" in the 8 liter size, and they weren't quite enough to hold all the motors, so I'm thinking about exchanging them for bigger boxes. So I don't know the exact count, but it's between 40 and 50 liters of motors in various sizes from 18 mm to 29 mm.

Motors/liter - sounds like a new SI unit in the making!

I love it.

:D

I counted the other day and my stock was at 13 but it will grow a bit after Christmas. They are split about even between Aerotech 29mm and Loki 38mm. This is a recent development for me, until the last couple of months I have never had more than 3-4 at any given time. I need to add a few more I405's and a J528 or two.

Part of my problem seems to be that I've got LOTS of motors for rockets I'm not actively flying. I got a bunch of 18mm motors when I got my nephew into rockets about 2 years ago, and we used to fly at the schoolyard. Pretty quickly, I moved on to 24mm, and his interest in rockets waned, leaving a bunch of 18mm that I don't really use. In 24mm, I have a lot of C11's that I don't use very often --- they worked well in one specific rocket I don't fly much anymore. I have a lot of D12's that I was using to fly the many Maxi Alpha 3's I have built for various people and myself when I used to fly mostly at the schoolyard. I do more flying with clubs now, so I have more room and favor E12's in the MA3, leaving the D12's as less useful. Now I'm mostly interested in 29mm...

If you wouldn't be stepping on anybody's toes then have a yardsale at a launch and clear the stock at as low a price as you can stand and turn it all into APCP. Make all kinds of people happy, including you :)

Build a Viper 3 of Viper 4 for D12s. D12-7s in my Viper IV is always a nice flight. 7 D12s cluster well in a 3" LOC tube.

2 * 50cal ammo boxes of 'hobby' motors up to F
Lots of 29mm reloads
enough 38mm reloads to last another year
only one 54mm K reloads left

----

But grasshopper, the question was ill timed. It is not the number of rockets motors that we currently have in stock, but the amount we will be ordering over this coming week.

So, not enough, need more. Looking at buying my first Mmmm motor at Black Sat. Something in a CTi 6 Grain methinks.

About 350-400 low power (I like clusters...) and about 50 high power motors. All are kept in an environmentally controlled room.

Probably down to 200-300 MMX

1/2A, A, B-----probably 300-400

C-----probably about 1000 (Boy Scout clearance motors)

D, E, F---maybe 100 to 150

All the above are BP. As to composite----probably a dozen total

No smoking allowed at my house....

I'm not admitting ANYTHING. All stored safely under the baby's crib. (And yes- I stole that line a few years ago from here-I love it!)

This may very well have been asked before, yet here it goes. At the present, how many rocket engines do you have?

Personally, none, but I manage the stock our club keeps for its student members. We have some 60+ H motors and quite a large number of other motors, too. A sizable stock of BP motors, probably ~20-30 midpower composites, and ~10 I-M motors.

So to answer your question, too many.

Back