Supply of Launch Lug (straws)>?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Hey guys,
As I have done a few scratch built rockets or saucers (nothing too elaborate) for LPR, I figured I just use a soda straw for a launch lug. Then when I started looking around for them, all I find are plastic straws, short and stubby, from on the side of juice pakets, flexible bendy straws sold by the hundreds, or McD's soda drink straws that are large and plastic, or coffee stir sticks that are plastic and too narrow.

But every kit I buy has a paper or waxed paper launch lug cut to size that is white or tan or yellow.

So, where are all the paper straws that I remember from our milk money snack in grade school? They were "Sweetheart" brand straws, as I remember, and came several hundred per box. Do they still exist? Where does one order them from? Are they still school supplies?

I don't need several hundred...I'm not producing kits, nor ever think I will.... but a small number of them in my jump kit would be nice in the field.

Where do you find these once disposable, recylcable items? Any leads?

I find mine in a kitchen cupboard :). folks bought a box of 100 'carnival straws' (paper, 8") back around 1968 for 12 cents that I'm hoarding. mostly the folks used them for lighting pilot lights. still have most of the box. however a quick search yielded this website: https://www.aardvarkstraws.com/about-us/about-us-5 perhaps one could request a sample.
Rex

I have a few you can have. PM me your Address and I'll mail them tomorrow or Monday.

LaunchLugs 002.jpg

I should have guessed that I'd hear from the Angry Launch Lug on this one. I just didn't think! LOL!

And thank you for the link, Rex... I did go to their website and was very surprised to see just what you suggested... a button to request samples! So, not trying to mislead them, I gave them a description of what I was looking for and why, and i'll bet a salesman calls me on Monday to see how many gross he can ship me to meet his holiday quota. LOL!

the 'milk straws' look like they would work nicely for 1/8" rods, the standard size would likely do for 3/16" rods. downside as you said earlier is the quantity, 700 straws would be enough for a club outreach program for some time. in the past I've added a pack or two of launch lugs to my order from Apogee or Semroc.
Rex

Of course, making your own is not hard either - quickest way is to get a piece of K&S brass tubing about 5/32" or 3/16" diameter and glue a piece of computer paper around it in two layers - paint a coat of thinned white glue between the two layers, wrap the second layer around the first and let dry. If you glue the LL to the rocket with the seam against the rocket, it won't show. And you can get a LOT of launch lugs out of a single sheet of computer paper. And if you want to cut them into one or two inch lengths, leave the brass tube inside and roll an Exacto knife blade around the tube. I have a set of brass tube mandrels in many sizes so I make a lot of my own launch lugs, couplers and motor blocks like this.

Igniters for composite motors come packaged inside a protective straw-like cardboard sleeve. The long igniters that come with AT DMS motors are inside a nice tube that I imagine would make good 1/4" lug material. Igniters for the other AT single-use motors or the Econojets come packaged inside tubes that would work for smaller diameter lugs. Estes PSII igniters are in another kind of straw/sleeve/lug. I was saving them for awhile, but recently have been trying to curb my rocket part hoarding tendencies. If you attend a launch where people are flying composite motors, you should be able to get some for free.

Oh, Thirsty, say it ain't so. Giving up hording? Never!
I would recommend you go right out to that trash can
and retrieve whatever valuable parts replacements you
may have unwisely thrown out. (You know when the
big world government collapse happens, we won't be
able to find those parts anymore...and you'll wish that
you had salvaged and scrounged them years ago! lol!)

I found some paper straws at Hobby Lobby, in the party item section. They are closer to a 3/16 lug. Also some listed on Ebay.

Last edited:
I had been looking for them too. I finally discovered that walmart/Target/Kmart and any party supply store has them in the Birthday Party section. Just bought a pack of 25 paper straws at walmart for 79 cents.

Back