Missile Works cyber Monday Sale / Thanks to Everyone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cyber Monday Sale surpassed my expectations several fold.
Thanks go to everyone that participated.

Please bear with us as we attempt to unearth ourselves from the large backlog of orders.

Can you please do this full time?:) Every time I've been to your site to order, you never have all of the items I want to order in stock and when that happens the order button goes away. I don't mind waiting for all of the items to come in before it ships, but I do mind ordering only one thing at a time and pay shipping each time while I wait for the buttons to show up again for the other things I need. I usually leave your site disappointed and end up ordering nothing. Until this sale, not once have I been able to add all of the items I need to the cart. One time I even had items in the cart, but didn't check out fast enough and I got sniped.

I can't be the only one this happens to. Very frustrating. BTW, no rush on my order placed today, please fill everyone else's first.

My apologies, Mike... I hadn't realized your frustration with attempting to acquire product. I try hard to keep everything stocked, and I don't want to accept funds and not have product on-hand to fulfill orders (unless I'm doing a promotional "sale"). Unfortunately, not all the clientele' is like you and has an understanding of the "cottage" nature of the hobby rocket biz.

That said however, perhaps I should rethink the inventory requirement with my shopping cart and address backorders via alternative means?
What would the TRF community think of this?

Please bear with us as we attempt to unearth ourselves from the large backlog of orders.

My apologies, Mike... I hadn't realized your frustration with attempting to acquire product. I try hard to keep everything stocked, and I don't want to accept funds and not have product on-hand to fulfill orders (unless I'm doing a promotional "sale"). Unfortunately, not all the clientele' is like you and has an understanding of the "cottage" nature of the hobby rocket biz.

That said however, perhaps I should rethink the inventory requirement with my shopping cart and address backorders via alternative means?

I for one would also be willing to wait out a reasonable backorder. I had a similar issue to what Mike described when trying to buy an RRC3 and 54 mm sled several months back. I waited for the sled to come in stock as I watched the altimeters dwindle. I believe when the sleds came in I got the next to last RRC3. It worked out fine, and I would have survived even if I had waited for stock to come into phase to order, but I would have preferred to have just paid for both to basically "reserve" the altimeter and have it wait for the sled for shipment.

Admittedly, I don't know the best way to handle such things from your end. It's not like it's going to diminish my ever increasing use of your products either way.

Possibly add pre-order button and the option to hold all parts on the order until all can be shipped at once. I recently went through a real bad experience with a hobby vendor in south western Michigan. I ordered my Aerotech 24/40, 29/40-120 and 18-38mm delay tool for Fathers day and received the order 1 piece at a time from July 2014 to Oct 2014. Reasonable backorders are acceptable, I don't mind waiting a little but 3 months w/o much communication was too much, all communication was initiated by me.

I think on Amazon, back before they were huge, they used to offer you options when a product was not in stock. Like, "One of the products you ordered is out of stock. You may 1) Cancel the item; 2) Wait for the item to be restocked and shipped at no extra cost; 3) Request a refund for the entire order."

At least a notice saying that the item is out of stock and that it is expected to be available by <date> would be great. Then offer reasonable options.

Some motor vendors offer a pre-order option. They actually encourage it by providing a slight discount, but in turn, it aids them in inventory planning, overall volume and, of course, helps them not loose an order from a ready and willing buyer.

An option to buy out of stock items would be nice, but I have always had quick responses to emails. I think that if you emailed Jim and asked him to set aside an item and let you know when something else was back in stock, that he would -- particularly if you were willing to prepay.

I was glad to see this sale, because I have not seen the RRC3+ "Extreme" in stock for a while and took advantage to order one.

Always great customer service from Jim!
NikeMikey

Hey, no problem, I now got what I need and at a great price. Just wanted to let you know that many rocketry purchases are impulse buys and if the product can't even be added to cart, those customers might be going to other vendors. My theory has always been to get the order first, then if needed, beg forgiveness and give the option to opt out if the wait is too long. I don't run payment until it is boxed and ready to ship, not only to stay kosher with the customer and the law, but also motivation for me to get the order done so I can get my money. :)

It could be worded something like: "We do our best to keep all product in stock and ready to ship, but in the instance that items in your order cannot be shipped right away, we will contact you with an expected shipping date."

With all of your products now able to be added to the cart, you will be able to capitalize on all of those "lost impulse buys", which may be more than you realize.

Adding one of my favorite quotes from Grace Hopper: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission."

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

My shopping cart system provides either "inventory control" or "unlimited" ordering. So, for Cyber Monday, all the sale items were unlimited.
The other downside is that I've got a fully automated payment gateway for CC's or payments through PayPal, hence I don't have the luxury to debit CC's when shipped.

I'll need to mull this over... it's either more "hands on" with no-inventory controls, or keeping things status-quo.

Hey Jim, I also wanted to thank you for the great sale. Regarding the inventory discussion going on, I'm good with the way your site and inventory is run. I think after a little time in the hobby most of us (the rational ones) come to the realization that the majority of venders in this hobby are dedicated enthusiasts like you running small "cottage" businesses, and a quick phone call or email will inform me when a product I want will be in stock.

That being said I can completely understand Mike's comment above. The internet has created an industry of on-demand shopping, and I can see the benefit of taking everyone's complete order and then telling them if they might have to wait a week or so for one of the items in their order. For me it's sixes - I would have been waiting until it got in stock anyways to place my order. Whatever you decide to do I think you'll still have a loyal and growing customer base that buys from you because of your product and not because of your online shopping cart policies.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

My shopping cart system provides either "inventory control" or "unlimited" ordering. So, for Cyber Monday, all the sale items were unlimited.
The other downside is that I've got a fully automated payment gateway for CC's or payments through PayPal, hence I don't have the luxury to debit CC's when shipped.

I'll need to mull this over... it's either more "hands on" with no-inventory controls, or keeping things status-quo.

When will your web store be back up?

Jim,

I bought a few. I am happy with your products and sales.

Have you thought about a smaller altimeter?

When will your web store be back up?

I will be putting the store back up tonight.
I'm reverting to the old inventory model, however I will attempt to do better and stay ahead of disappearing inventory.
Several items will be out of stock until we can recover from Monday's sales, so please be patient.
We should be restocked sometime next week when all the Cyber Monday orders have been fulfilled.

Have you thought about a smaller altimeter?

How much smaller and what does it need to do?
There's a fiddle factor that's proportional to shrinking form factor (at least for me).
If there's a niche' that needs addressing I want to know.

Jim, I understand the cottage nature. As long as I know I am back ordering, and can get an approximate timeframe I have no issue with ordering that way. It is about setting reasonable expectations.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Received my shipping notification. My new altimeter should be arriving Tuesday.

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas... thanks MissileWorks !

Code:
Expected Delivery Day: Monday, December 15, 2014 

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:              Features:           
Priority Mail 2-Day™         Insured                     USPS Tracking™

Date & Time                    Status of Item           Location 

December 11, 2014 , 11:29 pm   Departed USPS Facility   AURORA, CO 80011

I like launch 18mm and 24 mm rockets. I launch the big ones too, but the smaller ones are fun to test research motors in.

Just checked the tracking mines only 140 miles away, firm possibility of a definite maybe it will arrive as scheduled/expected on Monday.:cool:

Woohoo!

Got an email notification of a shipment from Lyons, Colorado!

Hopefully my dumbass mail carrier actually delivers the mail for a change.

Got my notification Thursday evening but my tracking number doesn't work. :facepalm: Guess I'll just have to put my faith in the good ol' USPS! :eyeroll:

Mine shoes up today. Thank you for the sale, Jim!!! Glad to see you turn to the dark side and have an evil black sale!! I hope you did well, and do it again.

p.s. I will still buy stuff from you at retail pricing between now and the next sale. Interesting concept huh?!?

Got mine today. I can't get over how small the RRC2+ and 38 mm LiPo sled combo is. It's just absurd.

Back