Why isn't there a good selection of plastic nose cones for BT70 tubes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad4hws

Reaction score
BT80 tubes seem to have lots of options. not so much for the BT70. Balsa machining has lots of balsa nose cones for the BT70, but I want plastic for its durability. Anyone have any recommendations?

I bought a lathe from Harbor Freight simply to turn nose cones. I too, am disappointed that there isn't much of a selection for the BT 70, and it is my favorite tube.....next to the BT 55. Apparently there isn't a big enough demand for plastic in that size. Don't bother me none though. Wood works just fine for me. The lathe comes in real handy when you do upscale jobs. Usually there isn't a suitable cone for that....unless you fudge the design and cheat on the nose cone.

BT80 tubes seem to have lots of options. not so much for the BT70. Balsa machining has lots of balsa nose cones for the BT70, but I want plastic for its durability. Anyone have any recommendations?

You're joking, right???:confused:
If BT80 had more than TWO Options for Plastic Cones, TLP Kits would not need those Paper Hats. Also, the ones that are supposed to have a Spherical Cone would not have to endure the Humiliation of the Pathetic PNC-80BB Egg Shaped Cone.
The thing I hate the MOST about working with BT-80 is the lack of Nose Cones.:mad:

Last edited:
The only BT70 plastic nose cone I know of is the one available from Apogee Components.

You are right, there is a bigger selection of plastic nose cones in BT80 from Apogee, Estes, Aerotech, and one found on ebay. Even LOC and PML make one that is almost BT80 size (can actually be sanded to fit the ID).

The lack of plastic BT70 cones is one reason I have 12 BT80 size rockets in my collection and Zero BT70 size rockets.

The best way to get a durable BT70 nose cone is to start with a balsa nose cone, and glass it. :)

When they don't make what you want, then make it yourself. Simple.

I don't have a lathe, but I've wanted to make a fiberglass mold for some time. Sounds like a good project to try it out on. Balsa machining has some great balsa nose cones to chose from.

One of my Goals is to have a Lathe by Spring of next Year. Call it my "New Years Resolution".:)

I've made nosecones with a drill... not ideal but it works in a pinch. A cheap HF/Grizzly lathe will serve you well. You could also think about resin casting if you are up to it....

If balsa is too soft for you, use some other wood such as basswood. You may also consider Alder since it's fairly hard but still light weight. Was going to say spruce but I realized it's still a pretty soft wood...

BT-70 has always been an ODD size body tube.
Estes used to have 2 different balsa cones but never made one in styrene. I generally make all my own cones regardless of size or diameter.

If you looking for a decent 48" long lathe Harbor Freight has a fine machine for about 100.00. I've used one for a couple decades now with great results.

BT-70 has always been an ODD size body tube.

To me, a BT 70 is perfect. It's bigger than a 60 and not as fat as an 80. Granted I'll use all size tubes available, with the exception of the BT 56. Wanna talk odd? You can barely tell it from a 55. That's one I really don't get.

To me, a BT 70 is perfect. It's bigger than a 60 and not as fat as an 80. Granted I'll use all size tubes available, with the exception of the BT 56. Wanna talk odd? You can barely tell it from a 55. That's one I really don't get.

That's because basically it was a Centuri tube... Estes kept some of the rockets based on it in their lineup after they bought Centuri (which technically it was done "the other way around" for tax purposes, but Estes was the controlling partner in that buyout) and ended up using it for some of their rockets, the Astrocam in particular, among some others (Maniac, etc.) Hence its use in the Estes lineup.

Personally I like the BT-56... it's a little bigger than the BT-55 and makes a nice rocket. I'd say the BT-80 is my favorite tube size though... makes a nice big rocket.

Later! OL JR :)

that's actually a pretty decent assortment of parts. thank you for sharing.

Back