body tube transitions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
What is the primary reason people use body tube transitions? I understand looks, and I understand when constraints such as payload dictate, but beyond that I am curious if there is some big aerodynamic function I am missing out on. I would think that the widest part of the airframe is more important than having some partial length narrower, though.

It looks cool ;)
In Superroc contests, its a way to reduce weight while still making the rocket ridiculously tall. they're often used in egglofter's for similar reasons: having something that will hold the egg, but still keeping it light.

Nate

If the motor diameter is smaller than the body (parachute duration model for example), then flipping it around, used as a boat tail to reduce the base diameter, reduces the base drag.

What is the primary reason people use body tube transitions? I understand looks, and I understand when constraints such as payload dictate, but beyond that I am curious if there is some big aerodynamic function I am missing out on. I would think that the widest part of the airframe is more important than having some partial length narrower, though.

These guys have it pretty well noted. I am a transition addict and nearly every design I come up with has one to 3. Even though you can do trannys on higher than LPR rockets, it's more widely used in LPR. I'm not sure if there's any aerodynamic advantages to using them, in fact, it might actually hinder with added wind resistance. But in my case, it's irrelevant. I love the variety it gives me designing. Most of my fleet is LPR and I don't do a lot of kits anymore, so I'm always on the drawing board. And I could honestly say 90%+ have at least, one.

Coolness.

Here's one that I hope to build soon.

imagejpg1_zpse8ff948b.jpg

Transitions that adapt the front of the rocket down (think Norad, Argent) add a lot of drag but look cool. Transitions near the back of the rocket (V2, duration models like mentioned above) help cut base drag, although reducing base drag can reduce stability.

A forward transition that increases diameter from forward to aft has a positive effect on stability.

This thing needs lots of Sanding and then Details and Finishing work,(Spring Work, not Winter), but the Transition here lets me use this cool Nose Cone but still end up with a BT-80 Rocket.

Transition 001.jpg

Back