New product ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki Research

Motor Manufacturer
Reaction score
I wanted to run a few new product ideas past the readers and get some feedback on,
what items would be of great interest to you,
what items would be of very little interest to you,
what new ideas you might have not listed here and
what if any input do you have for me on these items.
What items if any that you're ready to put your name on a waiting list.

Some of these are not new ideas, like the nozzle carriers. Although I have done a lot of work with them, it is very difficult to make them a one size fits all for say a 54/1200 to a 54/2800. The carriers below would be intended for 2 to 3 grain cases where the exit diameters don't need to be that large and the nozzles won't get that hot.

-54mm nozzle carrier using standard Loki Research 38mm nozzles. For 2-4g snap ring hardware.

-76mm nozzle carrier using standard Loki Research 54mm nozzles. For 1-4g snap ring or threaded hardware, (ID's are the same on both).

-Tooling designed for casting pourable propellants in lengths up to 22-23" long in 54mm and 76mm.

-Characterization hardware in 54mm- consists of a short 54mm snap ring case, hockey puck style bulkhead tapped for 1/4" tapered pipe threads, 54mm nozzle carrier, snap rings and nozzle washers. 38mm nozzles would be available in the size throat and quantity you select. Grain geometry designed for a fairly neutral thrust profile. The 54mm size gives a longer measured burn time over 38mm, they are easier to cast and result in better average burn times, Pc, thrust, and better overall propellant characterization.

-Av-Bay designed to be mounted to the top of a 76mm standard bulkhead or 54mm extended bulkhead.
This one has had me stumped for a while now and could almost use its own thread. The main component would be a threaded ring which will thread onto the end of the motor bulkheads. See them here about half way down the page. The forward end of this ring will be machined down to accept a coupler tube made of FG or CF, a short piece of 54mm or 76mm motor tube, add some all-thread and a bulkhead on the top and you're done. The problem is all the different wall thicknesses and ID's of these coupler tubes. Especially now that everyone's decided they're going to change their tubing sizes. Also I hear that many of these tubes are made on tapered mandrels so every coupler tube in a given size could be slightly different from one end to the other. My first thought is simply not to anodize the part, then turn it down to the diameter specified by the customer, assuming they can accurately measure their tubes. However the chances of wearing out the part of dinging the threads increase without the anodizing. If I used a motor case tube, it would make for a ballistic proof compartment, but it would not be radio transparent. Any tracker would need to be placed outside.

-Threaded Ring- Anyway, this ring would be tapped on the top side with a pair of 1/4-20 holes to insert all-thread into, cut to the length of your coupler and install a top bulkhead. With the right sized threaded ring, the customer could fairly easily fabricate everything else they need for an electronics compartment. The ring would also be tapped around the outside diameter for securing the airframe to the ring to act as a internal motor retainer for MD rockets. This would accommodate 3 or 4 fin rockets Would you rather purchase the ring and make everything else yourself to suit your own needs, or would you rather purchase a complete Av-Bay at a higher cost as mentioned above?

-76mm and 98mm single use composite nozzle (graphite/phenolic) for use with snap ring or threaded hardware. Maybe a few reloads to go with.....?

76mm Single Use Nozzles.jpg

EDIT-I almost forgot to add - 152mm Frankenstein hardware with a redesigned nozzle carrier, a reusable graphite nozzle insert and a single use phenolic entrance lip/ring. Closures will be interchangeable with any length of motor case and aft exit extensions will be available to increase the exit diameter on longer motor cases. Case lengths would be 36" 48", ~57" and 96". For a less expensive option on shorter cases going in bigger rockets, I may look at doing a snap ring design for 36" & 48" cases. It is far less costly to machine snap rings, but a 6 " snap ring is more dangerous and you can't easily attach a payload to the forward closure for BALLS projects like you can with a bolted closure design.

Please remember, these things don't just appear out of thin air. ;-) They require lots of investment of time and money with the profits earned from my customers support. The more support customers give Loki Research, the more products and support I can give back to the community. So, thank you VERY much for your support everyone.

Last edited:
I like the idea of 54mm characterization hardware. I was going to go with 2 grain 38mm cases from another manufacturer, but you make a good case for 54mm. Tooling for pourables is also interesting.

I'm not there yet (may never be) but availability of 152mm hardware would be great. I hope you bring back 98mm cases as well.

NikeMikey

Loki previously had 29mm reloads, right? I know bringing them back wouldn't be "new", but I would support them nonetheless.

There was a recent discussion that talked about color changing motors. If loki offered them commercially I would be a convert

I only have one full set of the 54/2800 hardware and keep the nozzle and everything else attached. However I am planning on launching the K350 moonburner on at least two builds next summer at LDRS34 and I thought about the practicality of having some spare parts as well as storing long term. So if you start selling the nozzle carriers I would likely grab as many as I need, and of course the hardware to go along with them.

I would like to see more tracking smoke options. I realize there are space, heat and possibly other technical issues to deal with, which I am ignorant of. However I have a hard time visually tracking unless I can see the smoke, the problem being the length of time it smokes. Keeping in mind I currently only have the 54/2800 hardware set.

I like the idea of 54mm characterization hardware. I was going to go with 2 grain 38mm cases from another manufacturer, but you make a good case for 54mm. Tooling for pourables is also interesting.

I'm not there yet (may never be) but availability of 152mm hardware would be great. I hope you bring back 98mm cases as well.

NikeMikey

x2 on the test hardware!

-Av-Bay designed to be mounted to the top of a 76mm standard bulkhead or 54mm extended bulkhead.

You have my attention.

Alex

what about alternative hybrid reloads for the contrails? :))

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Rocketry Forum

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Let's hope I don't miss anything.

29mm hardware - I don't foresee this happening for a long time if at all. The quantity of product that I would have to go through to make any meaningful profit would be quite large and very time consuming for the minimal return. If I had any time on my hands or extra part time help, I might be able to give it some thought, but not the way things are now. Sorry guys.

Case adapters - this is very possible, and I have considered sending some in with the Cocktail 38's whenever that happens. The hard part here is in the forward bulkhead design. The forward o-ring rests up against the liner. When disassembling a motor, if you push down on the bulkhead or push up on the nozzle, the liner tends to compress the o-ring making it very difficult to get anything to move one way or the other. With the plugged bulkhead, you could attache a 1/4-20 rod and pull the bulkhead out, but with the delay bulkhead, this is not possible. I'll have to use a spacer on the next few firings I do to see how easy or hard it is to disassemble.

Color changing reloads - As cool as this would be, it would definitely increase the cost of the reload. It would effectively double the amount of labor required to cast the grains. I don't know how many people would be willing to pay a premium for this effect.

Colored Sparkies - This would require a "new" propellant and "new" DOT #'s to match. Too much money. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money. Sorry. :-(

Star mandrels - I only have drawings for the star mandrel used in the J820. It would take a good deal of time and perhaps testing as well to get a new size dimensioned and made. I remember Jeff telling me that the machinist who made them said after these, I'm not doing any more. I have no idea who this was. Apparently he had a hell of a time getting everything set up right and they took him forever to make, however you wouldn't know this by looking at them as they look outstanding. I'll see about getting a quote for them from Eric. I have a few for the J820 though that I might be willing to part with.

Haz-Mat free J reload - if this were done, you'd have 12 grains that you would be required to glue back into 6 grains, and the load would contain less propellant. A J grain currently contains 62.5g of propellant. The ship without Haz-Mat, each grain must contain no more than 30g. So you would loose 15g of propellant and around 30Ns. Ehhh that's not so much I guess. But if you didn't glue them together properly and more surface area began to burn that what is intended, it would ruin the motor and your rocket pretty quickly. The Loki Research J-528 and J-712 are sledgehammers as it is.

Hybrid reloads - Acctually the guy behind the scenes that help with my drawings has done a lot of work with hybrids. I think he said he even has a few patents. He has played around with the new 76mm bulkheads using an injector that is designed to reside in the smoke well cavity which is held in with the snap ring. The course threads at the top of the bulkhead can have an adapter to go from the bulkhead thread to a N2O tank, OR a threaded barrel to screw onto another bulkhead. So for example, you could have a 76/3600 case for the fuel grain with a 6000 case for the N2O. I don't know how far along he has got with the injector, but re regularly drops hint at me with what we could do with it. He says it would be a lot like a Contrail from the case design standpoint. Being that I don't know much at all about hybrids from a motor design stand point, I would more readily provide the materials and parts for those that do, rather than make my own. At least in the short term anyway.

152mm Frankenstein Hardware - I keep going back and forth between 6" and 5" hardware. Everything just costs a lot less for a 5" rocket that a 6" rocket. But you can't get a big P or a baby Q out of a 5" nearly as easily. I know that end of the market is probably the smallest out there, but it makes for the better show and tell.

Av-Bay - Alex, If you would like any part in helping design a layout for components, I'm all ears. If you're the one who stuffed everything on top of an N-5800 bulkhead for a MD flight, that's the stuff I'm looking for. Email me at work if you want to discuss this.

Thank you everyone. Please keep them coming.

You had an idea in the way back about making nozzle diameter gauges, like a key ring of rods sized to your most popular nozzle sizes. So you could make a quick check of a throat size, and if I remember correctly most of us poo pooed the idea. Now that I have launched many of the motors I would like to have the security of a diameter gauge.

I was making up a new reload with a nozzle that has had a few firings and just on a whim I double checked a throat that I swore was clean. Well it wasn't, I took drill bit that was the same diameter and pushed out a nice cylinder of slag. :surprised:

So if I could keep my drill bits in my shop and a nice gauge set in my rocket box I think that would be the bees knees.

A single grain 54mm case set would be awesome, with the nozzle carrier or not, but I would love an I class 54.

A nice nasty black slow burning smoky propellant.

While a case adapter would be nice, as inexpensive as your cases are its not to much of a problem.

Of all the things you listed the nozzle carriers are the most interesting.

Reloads for your 1600 54mm cases.

TA

29mm hardware - I don't foresee this happening for a long time if at all. The quantity of product that I would have to go through to make any meaningful profit would be quite large and very time consuming for the minimal return. If I had any time on my hands or extra part time help, I might be able to give it some thought, but not the way things are now. Sorry guys.

152mm Frankenstein Hardware - I keep going back and forth between 6" and 5" hardware. Everything just costs a lot less for a 5" rocket that a 6" rocket. But you can't get a big P or a baby Q out of a 5" nearly as easily. I know that end of the market is probably the smallest out there, but it makes for the better show and tell.

Not trying at all to be offensive, but critically helpful.

The 54/4000, and 152mm cases, you've admitted to being tiny markets, and both take a good bit of time and money for little return.

The user market for 29mm is massive, and creates a gateway drug. Right now HPR users tend to start with 29mm motors. Should they start with 38? yes, but they don't. With no 29mm Loki hardware, people get into AT or CTI. Once they do that they're more likely to stay with that brand.

What's always bothered me, was a lack of good, full sized G motors. (yes, I'm aware of the G138T and G54R) Do a 29/160, a 240 and a 360 with White reloads. They'll sell and grow your userbase.

Last edited:

The 54/4000, and 152mm cases, you've admitted to being tiny markets, and both take a good bit of time and money for little return.

The user market for 29mm is massive, and creates a gateway drug. Right now HPR users tend to start with 29mm motors. Should they start with 38? yes, but they don't. With no 29mm Loki hardware, people get into AT or CTI. Once they do that they're more likely to stay with that brand.

What's always bothered me, was a lack of good, full sized G motors. (yes, I'm aware of the G138T and G54R) Do a 29/160, a 240 and a 360 with White reloads. They'll sell and grow your userbase.

I'm afraid I would have to agree with this 100%. I understand your margin might be lower but I most things like that you make up in volume.

TA

Last edited:
They make a good point, might be the most sensible suggestion from a business sense since it will grow the customer base. I know my 10 year-old already knows ATs product line because of her 29mm e, f, and g reloads.

How about making a load or two just for the 29/460 case listed on your website? They would be significantly higher impulse than any other current commercial 29mm loads, which peak out at around 380 n-s. I for one would buy it! For my L2 I plan on getting a 38/1200 loki case, mostly because it is the most impulse you can get in 38mm, and the very high average thrusts IMO are just awesome, i.e. the J1000, J11XX cocktail... :D

I have never used LOKI hardware before but I would like to try it out. And where else would I start other than the good ol 29mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

How about making a load or two just for the 29/460 case listed on your website? They would be significantly higher impulse than any other current commercial 29mm loads, which peak out at around 380 n-s. I for one would buy it! For my L2 I plan on getting a 38/1200 loki case, mostly because it is the most impulse you can get in 38mm, and the very high average thrusts IMO are just awesome, i.e. the J1000, J11XX cocktail... :D

Good choice, my new favorite case. Build the rocket strong!

TA

I have never used LOKI hardware before but I would like to try it out. And where else would I start other than the good ol 29mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm using AT for 24mm, but I haven't made any decisions on 29mm+ yet, as long as I can get a decent variety of loads free of hazmat shipping.

I'm afraid I would have to agree with this 100%. I understand your margin might be lower but I most things like that you make up in volume.

TA

Scott does these by hand, so I don't know how well the process scales to larger quantities.

It's a harder sell in small sizes, when the motors cost less than a pair of snap ring pliers (which won't be useful at the larger sizes), and igniters would definitely have to be bundled.

Not that I wouldn't want 29mm Loki motors...

Scott does these by hand, so I don't know how well the process scales to larger quantities.

It's a harder sell in small sizes, when the motors cost less than a pair of snap ring pliers (which won't be useful at the larger sizes), and igniters would definitely have to be bundled.

Not that I wouldn't want 29mm Loki motors...

Well I'm sure its about the time, I have poured 29mm and 38mm and the mix time and the set up time is the same, if you do a core 29mm sucks and it a bigger pain in the butt to work around. The problem is that it takes time, why would you sell a 29mm at a 2 dollar profit when you can sell a 38mm at a 10 dollar margin. Price per time would have to be the same or better to make it work. I would love it if it could work out, and it might, but a one man show has to put his time in what would make the most money. Its a tough call for a "MIGHT". If there was any one thing that would boost sales I think it would be getting California certified. But from what I hear that is a nightmare.

TA

Back