OpenRocket files appear lost after 14.11 is downloaded.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecil

Reaction score
I'm super embarrassed to post this question:facepalm:, but do remember you're talking to a two-year old. I downloaded OR 14.11. Doing a practice run I reached the point illustrated:

OpenRocket 14.11 motor window.jpg

I seem to have lost all motor files. How do I get them back? Or can I just delete whatever mess I made of the download and download again, assuming files come with OR?

I have no idea what the attachment below signifies except my age or just possibly the file name of the practice run in OR itself. Seems likely, but I should be able to post a window without the file name.

Attachments

• OpenRocket 14.11 motor files.ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
just out of curiosity, what size motors were you planning to use? you seem to have an odd size(to me anyway) motor mount for 9mm motors...
Rex

odds are in the motor chooser you have a filter set for motor mount size.

Can you post a screen shot of the motor chooser? That might help us answer your question.

just out of curiosity, what size motors were you planning to use? you seem to have an odd size(to me anyway) motor mount for 9mm motors...
Rex

Rex,

I was following Getting Started with OpenRocket by J. Pummill which was referenced in a recent thread. I made the same mistake I think NASA famously made once, discovering that it had lost an entire mission because someone had not converted English to Metric (or vice versa). I notice the Pummill's units are all English while 14.11 is sensibly metric. Let me go back and make all those conversions and see what happens.

Rex,

I was following Getting Started with OpenRocket by J. Pummill which was referenced in a recent thread. I made the same mistake I think NASA famously made once, discovering that it had lost an entire mission because someone had not converted English to Metric (or vice versa). I notice the Pummill's units are all English while 14.11 is sensibly metric. Let me go back and make all those conversions and see what happens.

JPummill here....that How-To is horribly out of date. Been meaning to do a more current one, but never can find the time. Though default is metric in OR, I make the switch to English because most of the parts are in said units. FG diameters, lengths, weights....I do prefer metric, but english is just "easier".

odds are in the motor chooser you have a filter set for motor mount size.

Rex and Kruland,

Here's the trial rocket corrected to metric. Following that I intend to post the motor desired and then the closest I know how to get to motor chooser:

First 14.11 metric rocket.jpg

Estes D 12.jpg

After last "Rocket Design" page I clicked "motors and Configuration," then selected "inner tube." No options I notice can bring up motor choices.

Inner tube page.jpg

Thanks all for your patience.

JPummill here....that How-To is horribly out of date. Been meaning to do a more current one, but never can find the time. Though default is metric in OR, I make the switch to English because most of the parts are in said units. FG diameters, lengths, weights....I do prefer metric, but english is just "easier".

Jeff,

Yours is the best tutorial I've seen. I very much appreciate your work. I wonder whether you might find the time to edit this list of actions that I found in a 2010 thread:

There are a couple of ways to add motors to your design.
During design when add a BT
1. Select the Motor Tab and check the "This component is a motor mount" box. This will enable the "Motor Configuration" Drop Down.
2. From the Drop Down select "Edit Configurations".
3. Click the "New Configuration Button".
4. Highlight the Right Cell.
5. Click the "Select Motor" Button at the bottom. A list of motors that have the same or smaller diameter will open.
6. Select your desired motor. Ex Estes C6.
7. Once selected the "Select the ejection charge delay" will populate. Note this needs updating. Not all delays for All engines are available.
Select your delay.
8. Click OK and the Window closes.
9. Click close on the "Edit Motor Configuration" Window.
10. Click Close on the "Edit Tube Configuration" Window.

If your design is complete
Then highlight the tube you want in the Rocket Design Window and click the "Edit" button and follow steps 1 to 10 above.

Once you have a motor, Click the "Flight Simulation" Tab.
Click the "New Simulation" Button.
Select your motor for the "Motor Configuration" drop down.
Click the Run simulation Button.
Hightlight the simulation results.
Click the Plot/export Button.
On the Plot data Tab. Click the Plot Flight button.
You will get a graph of your flight data.

could you post your latest version of this rocket, so that we can see if we can find the fault(it will likely be something simple and easy to overlook). thanks,
Rex

could you post your latest version of this rocket, so that we can see if we can find the fault(it will likely be something simple and easy to overlook). thanks,
Rex

Maybe this will help:

Attachments

• OpenRocket 14.11 motor files.ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 7
I took your previous file* and upscaled it to a bt70, then looked at the motor mount to see if it scaled to the right size(it did), and was able to do the whole motor selection and flight simulation routine w/o problems. I suspect that you're having issues with the motor configuration tab. left click on the cell for 'inner tube', this will highlight it, now click on the select motor button, this will bring up the motor chooser.
*I also tried your most recent file and had no problems
Rex

testrkt.jpg

I took your previous file* and upscaled it to a bt70, then looked at the motor mount to see if it scaled to the right size(it did), and was able to do the whole motor selection and flight simulation routine w/o problems. I suspect that you're having issues with the motor configuration tab. left click on the cell for 'inner tube', this will highlight it, now click on the select motor button, this will bring up the motor chooser.
*I also tried your most recent file and had no problems
Rex

Actually, I had to use both buttons to get a list, but that's just fine. Signore, sei un bravo professore!

Rex motor 1.jpg

But don't relax entirely; I have great confidence that other questions will follow. Many thanks.

Back