Base color for metallics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What is the general consensus about base colors for metallic paints? I have usually heard white, but have also heard black.

I'm about to paint the copper metallic on an Estes Cobra and wondered what to use as a base color.

Thanks for your feedback.

With copper metallic sometimes red or orange will give good results. It depends on the paint.
For gold metallic I have used yellow.
Do a test piece.

M

Silver is a good base on cars.I like red over silver in candys and metallics

When asked, Mike Fisher told me that his Raptor was painted with Rusto's Metallic blue over primer directly... Here's a shot of the same rocket.

binder_design_raptor.jpg

Depends on the metallic. For general metallics (like Rustoleum) paint over a white surface. For candy paint over a silver surface (Candy is just a transparent dyed lacquer layer, it contains NO metallic particles at all). Metallics in general seems fairly opaque so as long as you aren't painting over red, it covers pretty well.

For some really wacky effect try painting pearl over a solid color base... it really makes it come to life!

What is the general consensus about base colors for metallic paints? I have usually heard white, but have also heard black.

I'm about to paint the copper metallic on an Estes Cobra and wondered what to use as a base color.

Thanks for your feedback.

In order to understand why the base color is important when applying Metallic paints one has to realize all metallics: Silver, Gold, Copper are actually ground up metal (Alumimum, Brass or Copper) suspended in Clear.
Because these flakes will not completely cover the entire surface it helps to use a base color. Professional auto painter ALWAYS use Black under Silver and Gold metal flake to help the metals Pop in the sunlight. Copper is usually applied over either Black or Deep Orange depending on how dark or light the owner wants the metallic to appear in the sunlight. For Rockets I'd suggest sticking with Black as it makes all 3 metallic colors really outstanding in the sunlight.
All the models pictured below are base coated in Black, except the Buck-Shot which is base coated in Gold.

Colored metallic paints such as blue, Red and black matallics are a little different as they are metaillic flake suspended in colored paint so the base color is NOT as important as true metallic paints. Most generally try to use a base color close to the metallic.

054b_Semroc Golden Scout-1 Flt 411 (128dpi)_04-05-08.jpg

349-sm_MM Narhams Logo Rocket 139_07-13-08.jpg

672a-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg

673a-sm_Scout-1D Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg

674-a_Interceptor-E sideview_05-12-10.jpg

383-Lg_MM Buck Shot (SteamPunked)_10-10-11.jpg

For copper I go with black or red. Black will make it a tick darker but very rich--really pops. Red will push the copper to the red side just a little but makes for a nice color. You need to see them side by side in most cases to see the difference. Once you see it you'll know it every time.

I hate that Estes recycles rocket names. At first, I was excited you were building the Astron Cobra, and then I remembered you showing me pics about the one that had all those measles, then there's the Cobra 1500. That's 3 of those. Then there's the Excalibur...2 of those Then the Marauder. There's been 3 of those.

DAMNIT! THEY NEED TO HIRE ME TO CREATE ROCKET NAMES!

Hmm...Vortabulator, Hytenulator, Mysticulator, Syvomulator, Garbyrumator.... Do I need to go on Mr. B, or have I made my point yet?:eyeroll:

Oh! My friend. You cut me to the quick, again .None of those names are in my collection.You're making fun of me you pooch smoocher! I will admit, in my early years, I had some questionable titles, but I don't think today's titles could compare. Quit digging up old bones LW!

You cut me to the quick I will admit, in my early years, I had some questionable titles, but I don't think today's titles could compare. Quit digging up old bones LW!

Sorry, my friend. I was intending this to be good-natured ribbing - and yes, I am talking about the "old bones". You are absolutely correct, there are no bad names in any of your fleet.

The very last thing I wanted, was to make fun of you in a public forum. I'm sincerely sorry if it came off that way.

Recently, on another rocketry forum, I got some teasing about my stint as Mr Strato at NARAMs 24 and 26 - over 30 years ago! Yeah, I did something pretty silly back then, and they were just having fun at my expense. I knew they were not trying to play me up as some kind of bozo, but re-enjoying some shared history.

Here, I was enjoying some of our shared history. I apologize if it sounded like anything other than brotherly teasing.

The only metallic I use is the Rusto Midnight Black and I spray it over Rusto Fluorescent Pink. Those are my flying colors: Body tube and nose cone fluoro pink and the fin can metallic black.

The secret in spraying metallics is to spray light enough that the metal flakes don't "pool" and develop a pattern. Multiple light coats.

The final step is to lay down Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel.

View attachment 247189
Madcow Squat

View attachment 247190
Big Pink II tube fin

The only metallic I use is the Rusto Midnight Black and I spray it over Rusto Fluorescent Pink. Those are my flying colors: Body tube and nose cone fluoro pink and the fin can metallic black.

The secret in spraying metallics is to spray light enough that the metal flakes don't "pool" and develop a pattern. Multiple light coats.

The final step is to lay down Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel.

I agree Rustoleum Mid-Night Black is a Fantastic colored metallic. Actually Gloss black paint with copper metallic flake. I use it as both a base color and a finish color depending on the model. However I totally disagree with the need for Rusto Crystal Clear. NO Clear is necessary and can lift or harm decals by becoming brittle as ALL Clear Rattle can spray paints do.

My original Centuri Kc-8 Orion was intended to be Rustoluem Metallic Silver, but I liked the Mid-Night Black so much I reversed out the color scheme leaving most of the model Gloss Mid-night Black. No Clear used at all just a coat of Nu-Finish Auto Polymer. Wish you could see this model in the Sunlight it is truely Awsome!
My Upscale Scout is base coated with the same Mid-Night Black with Rustoleum Metallic Gold finish coat. again no clear coat just a coat of Nu-Finish Polymer.

Attachments

• 672a-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    672a-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 673a-sm_Scout-1D Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    673a-sm_Scout-1D Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 20
I hate that Estes recycles rocket names. At first, I was excited you were building the Astron Cobra, and then I remembered you showing me pics about the one that had all those measles, then there's the Cobra 1500. That's 3 of those. Then there's the Excalibur...2 of those Then the Marauder. There's been 3 of those.

DAMNIT! THEY NEED TO HIRE ME TO CREATE ROCKET NAMES!

Gary: I'm with ya on that one! When I heard someone was cloning the Astron Cobra I too believed they were buiding an Astron Cobra-1500.
I still have mine from back in the day, and fly it occasionally (neary 70 flight now). but have never build the Cobra 3 motor cluster as it's well just kind of an ugly rocket;)

Back