Isn't Rocketry Life Wonderful?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe where Rodketry has went, or has been since the Vern Estes Days and his first Machine for making Mass Produced BP Engines.
I read a very interesting history on another thead earlier, that brought in light a lot of historical information that I missed out on during my hound dog days.
And to see what is going on know, electronics and all. Just imagine if you showed up at LDRS-3 what we have today what they would think?
And what they even thought about what they had back then?
At the end of page 4 I was thinking, well read it. You'll know. If you can't Beat em, Join em!
We have come far. We ARE intivators, and I respect the people that do so for all our benefits.
Especially those that can make a living at it.
And I will support those that do so. As much as I can.
After all, my dream is still, and always have been, and always will be, since I was 10, to put something into a sustained orbit.
I might, just maybe get there. But not without the help and aid of the knowledgable people here on TRF!
Paper, cardboard, balsa, wood glue to Plastics, epoxies, to Fiberglass and resins, to Carbon Fiber and beyond.
Whom also appreciates the scienctists that make the "Hobby" a wonderful Sport?
And to the lengths and sizes of some of your rockets that some of you guys go to. HATS OFF to you.
Have a Super Great Thanksgiving!
JEA

agreed- when I first was launching rockets in the late 80's, an Estes astro cam (that took one picture) cost ~$30 in 80's money. Plus you had to get the film developed. I could never mow enough lawns to be able to afford that. Now I can pay $15 for a cheapo 808 camera and have full videos of my flight! This just blows my mind that this is possible. I wont even get into how I felt when I first saw a sparky motor live :)

I was around in the early days when Vern shipped motors in a tube. Flew some of those tubes too!. You fall in and out of this hobby, because life gets in the way, but it seems we always return. It keeps my sanity stable these days. I have no ambitions of breaking any ground level orbital fantasies, but I still like designing rockets that look unique, and fly well.

I'm a modeler. Not a propellant junky. And I'm fine with that. Sometimes I get the rub from some HPR motor wrapper, that likes to boast how much bigger their motors are than my rockets are, and I smile with a, "Yes they are." I'm not intimidated by that. I like where I am with my hobby.I'm having fun. I hope he is.

Back