Containing Smokeless Powders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaving out the issue of dismantling rifle ammo, of concern is the type/size of the powder grains. for rocketry, the preferred size is 4f(priming powder), rifle powder burns slower.
Rex
I am not suggesting dismantling anything. As you point out, anything commercially loaded won't have the right powder anyway. I am saying make a black powder vial out of a the correct used piece of brass.

I realize this is an old thread but since I was referred to it in a current thread I thought I'd revisit it and correct some misinformation that has been posted here by Bob Kretch and others. (Not limited to but especially post #37.)

Bob states:

...Finally, the use of BP substitutes and smokeless powder were only considered by rocketry folks because they, unlike BP, were not specifically regulated by BATFE. That changed in 2013 when the BATFE included black powder substitutes and smokeless powders to the explosives list. BP and its substitutes and smokeless powders by law are not regulated by BATFE if you purchase them for hunting and/or reloading up to a 50 pound quantity. In most states, if you are a hunter or reloader, you can legally purchase any of these propellants without a federal explosive permit, and if you're not a hunter or shooter, in some states you will need to show a BATFE permit/license to purchase them legally....

The above is inaccurate in that black powder substitutes and smokeless powders are NOT regulated by the ATF. By federal law they are exempt from ATF regulation. They were added to explosives list for purposes of criminal use, not because they are not regulated by the ATF. States do not require a BATFE permit to purchase them although some may require an ID card or other documentation. Additionally, some localities may regulate their storage and set limits on maximum quantities.

For more detail information see this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ple-7-FFFG-Black-Powder&p=1582221#post1582221

specifically post #15. I have no opinion on what people should choose for ejection charges but think it is important to clear up misinformation about black powder substitutes and smokeless powders.

Tony

Last edited:
If I had trouble getting a pound can of 3F or 4F Goex for recovery ejection, I'd make 10% meal powder and use it.

But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Back