NAR certification history

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Anyone know what year NAR started doing high power certification levels? My first pass at rockets, I swear NAR only went to G and Tripoli launches were needed for anything beyond that.

I don't know the exact years/dates, but you are very likely correct.

My first bout with rocketry was back when I was in jr. high and high school, in the mid-80's to very early 90's... I remember reading a lot of discussion about "legalizing" what became known as "high power" back then... I remember reading some articles in "American Spacemodeling" (now "Sport Rocketry", the NAR magazine) by G. Harry Stine about the topic...

Later! OL JR :)

You might want to consider asking over at YORF. I'm sure "He who shall not be named" will give you the history, he wrote it...

People joined Tripoli because the NAR didn't want to go any higher (pun) or bigger.
Some people were kicked out because of them wanting more than an F or G.
I don't the know the entire history just paraphrasing what others have said.

The NAR created their cert program in attempt to curb losing to many people to Tripoli.

JD

https://www.skybusters.org/NOTRA/The LDRS Story.pdf

The first NAR HPR code was around the time of LDRS-5 (1986, I believe.) The Wayback Machine for nar.org only goes back to 1996, when the current three-level system had just been introduced.

What an interesting read!!! I grew up in those days, kinda lost interest around 1976 when I got my drivers license and my first vehicle.
It's worth while to find out what happened, while I was makin it happin.
I printed it out and put it in my binder of things "For All Times".
Thank you much for this read!!! An aspect of history that should never be forgotten where and how our sport come from.

I don't know when the first commercial M motor became available. The Aerotech M1419 was originally certified in 1998 but I'm not sure if it was the first.

The Aerotech M1419, M1939, and two other M motors are included in the June 1996 TMT Motor handbook. The ACE Aeronautics M1940 has a certification expiration date of 9/97 so it was tested several years prior to that.

My mistake. In 1996 there were only two NAR certification levels, called H/I and J/K/L. https://web.archive.org/web/19961111215724/https://www.nar.org/hpcert/NARhpdetails.html

I don't know when the first commercial M motor became available. The Aerotech M1419 was originally certified in 1998 but I'm not sure if it was the first.

I think Frank Kosdon's O10,000 predate that and they were certified. I'd guess that there were quite a few legal M's to fly dating back to the early 90's.

AeroTech developed/released two 98mm single-use 'M' motors in mid-1987. I don't recall their designations at the moment.

Back