Igniter Wire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about wire to use to make your own composite motor igniter and I suggested this company.

https://www.pyrodirect.com

Well they will no longer sell you just one roll. You now have to buy nine or more at a time. My wife would kill me if I spent $150 plus shipping and handling on wire, so I looked around and found this company who would sell me one roll at the same price as Pyrodirect would their site is:

https://www.skylighter.com

I have ordered one roll and it is of the same quality just minus the spool. So what. It is 26 gauge solid two conductor.

BTW 26 gauge will work in any composite motor including the tiny D13 18mm reload.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Sweet. 26GA is a nice size. However, I seen some 26GA where the insulation is so thick it isn't any different than 22GA. Did you receive this yet? Is the insulation thick or a nice, thin coat?

Skylighter only carried 22 GA a few years back.

I ordered some 24 GA from the ebay link. Seminole used to have a terrible website, never figured out how to order. Never seen any on ebay either in earlier searches - just 22 GA.

Might still get 26 GA if the 24 looks too heavy. Like zip wire better than CAT 5. Guess I'll have a lifetime supply now.

Anyone use strands of Cat5 Ethernet cable, like myself?

Yeah - bought a box of solid CAT-5. I like Zip better - strips more easily. Tried the stranded CAT-5 too, but it flexes a lot and might double back on you instead of reaching the top of the motor.

Yeah - bought a box of solid CAT-5. I like Zip better - strips more easily. Tried the stranded CAT-5 too, but it flexes a lot and might double back on you instead of reaching the top of the motor.

I don't like to use Cat5e. To many micro shorts that wouldn't bother a network but can give you fits. If you must use net work cable use Cat6. Less chance of shorts, but more expensive.

Andrew

I bought an 8000 foot spool from Seminole at their year end sale 2 years ago for $109

Back