Asteroid disintegrations/explosions in Earth's atmosphere - 1994-2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
100,000 GJ = 23.9 kilotons TNT
1,000,000 GJ = 239 kilotons TNT (largest dot on chart)

nasa-small-asteroi-impacts.jpg

Cool !! I wonder how the dispersion plays out year to year? Is the average number close year to year? At any rate, it's just a matter of time until a big one gets through and re arranges some landscape.

I saw the one that flashed over Virginia a few weeks ago... I was driving the grain truck for my BIL in Indiana-- just left the elevator out in the country and was heading east back towards his farm, and saw the bright white/greenish flash in the ESE sky near the horizon... VERY cool!

Later! OL JR :)

I saw the one that flashed over Virginia a few weeks ago... I was driving the grain truck for my BIL in Indiana-- just left the elevator out in the country and was heading east back towards his farm, and saw the bright white/greenish flash in the ESE sky near the horizon... VERY cool!

Later! OL JR :)

Greenish Flash: I have seen a number of such flashes in the night sky over the years. I wonder what the chemical constituent is that causes this color in those meteorites?

Clearly, from this map, they hate Moscow, Indonesia and New Zeland most of all.... LOL!

Back