How hard is an Eggtimer to put together?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molten_dragon

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan out work on a L2 attempt, and I want to do dual-deploy. I saw the Eggtimer altimeter mentioned in a thread, and I'm interested in it. I like how cheap it is, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to put together correctly? I haven't done any soldering or electronics work in about 10 years, and I don't want to screw it up and crash a several hundred dollar rocket because I wanted to save $30 on an altimeter.

I'm starting to plan out work on a L2 attempt, and I want to do dual-deploy. I saw the Eggtimer altimeter mentioned in a thread, and I'm interested in it. I like how cheap it is, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to put together correctly? I haven't done any soldering or electronics work in about 10 years, and I don't want to screw it up and crash a several hundred dollar rocket because I wanted to save $30 on an altimeter.

I think that you answered your own question right there. For me, I'd get a commercially-built altimeter but that is because my soldering skills stink and I know it.

I think that the eggtimer is pretty simple to solder, but you need a fairly nice soldering station - your generic 60w iron isn't going to work, as you likely know. In my opinion, if you have to ask, then building an eggtimer for your only deployment is probably not the best answer.

That said, I don't know you and you might be a wiz at soldering. I am sure that people who have built one will chime in and give their 2 cents on the matter.

The Eggtimer is EXTREMELY easy to assemble...
You do it the first time with the pictorial instructions on the site...
They are so detailed it's one pic,, one component, then the next pic...
If you have ever soldered anything you certainly must be comfortable enough to solder a resistor to a circuit board....

After you do one,,
you'll question why you were concerned about it....

Very similar to Onebadhawk Harnesses..........
It's a dark path....
Once you go that way,,,
You won't go back to any other way............lol..

That's how much you'll enjoy the Eggtimer build................

Teddy

I had no soldering experience (and no DD experience) when I built my Eggtimers. I also used an inexpensive soldering iron that was recommended in the instructions.

You also won't find better support. Cris promptly responds to emails if you have questions. Take your time, follow the instructions and use the build thread here on TRF.

If you're just getting started in DD, you might want to start with something cheaper than your L2 rocket to get used to it. I've done DD with modified Estes rockets and AT 24/40 reloads, if you can do it with that then you can do it with your L2. DD isn't just about the altimeter, it's about the process, especially creating and using a checklist so you have all the I's dotted and T's crossed. I've seen plenty of DD failures because somebody "forgot" to do something. Starting small and working your way up is a cheap way to learn, and it's just as fulfilling to see your DD work with a F24 than on a J420.

Buy a small kit from Spark Fun first just to get your skills sharpened a bit, and then do the Eggtimer. That way you will have a fun little kit from Spark Fun and the Eggtimer.

Or you can send it to Conman13... He has a thread on this somewhere. For a small fee he will assemble it for you.

I've soldered cooper pipe, does that count?? :cool:

That's pretty funny...
It's actually the same process..
If you know what a good solder joint looks like on a copper pipe,,
Then you'll know what a good solder joint looks like on a circuit board..

You do not need an expensive soldering station to assemble an Eggtimer....
You can get a 12 or 15 watt pencil soldering iron from radio shack
or better yet buy a 15 watt Weller pencil iron from Amazon....
They're very very inexpensive and will do one of these kits perfectly.....

Teddy

Very easy to do. Small pointed iron tip is the key.
+1 to all above. Practice on anything that needs or can have wires soldered to it, if you can do that your ready. Doing it yourself is half the fun. Keep amount of solder you place on the board a focus, too much and you bridge pads, too little and you will have a bad connection. You can do it. If you can build a L2 bird, you are already a craftsman. Go for it and have fun.

Very easy to do. Small pointed iron tip is the key.
+1 to all above. Practice on anything that needs or can have wires soldered to it, if you can do that your ready. Doing it yourself is half the fun. Keep amount of solder you place on the board a focus, too much and you bridge pads, too little and you will have a bad connection. You can do it. If you can build a L2 bird, you are already a craftsman. Go for it and have fun.

+100

The iron must have a small tip and be low wattage...
No more then a 15 watt iron...

Lance is 100% right.....

You just built a bird capable of withstanding level 2 impulse ????????????

This'll be a piece of cake.....

Teddy

I've done a few eggtimers now and they're pretty easy, even though my soldering skills were a bit rusty. Chris is very helpful too. Half the cost and twice the fun of preassembled commercial altimeters. +2 on using a decent temp-controlled soldering station.

eggtimer is very easy to do .. I bought a soldering station after doing eggfinder which i struggled with doing had pos soldering iron

The Eggtimer altimeter is a FANTASTIC deal .... if you get it during the black Friday sale, and if you already have the fine-tip soldering iron.

I will be taking advantage of that sale. :)

... HOWEVER, if you don't have the soldering iron or you are unsure of your skills - the RRC2+ altimeter from Missile Works is only $45 and is also a great deal.

I just assembled 3 of them successfully and I am not an electrician, although I have played with electronics and soldering. For me assembling 3 Eggtimers plus the Eggfinder TX RX kit I found that I spent more time bending the resistors so I used round needle nose wire jewelry pliers. They are inexpensive, here is a link for a sample, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SNBC74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I have seen them for less than $5.00 a pair. Beyond the pliers, like others said, the soldering iron is the key; I would also add low temp solder.

One other thing to remember, the documentation and helpful assembly pictures take the guesswork out. However you get stuck, Cris, the inventor of the product, is very responsive and helpful if you shoot him a quick question.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is...what solder to use?
I've done a ton of in the past.
Years ago I use to buy small Heath Kits.
But I don't like the little pencil solder irons.
I have 2 guns, Both Wellers
260/200 watts, which I use the most...
140/100 watts, which I use for tiny things.
Always clean the tips, dip in flux, dip everything in flux.
Tin the tip and apply to it sucks in joins the materials.
I'm guessing that is too much heat for electronics?

He includes low temp solder with the kits. It is a special "no clean" solder, so no flux required.

I should probably add -
Sharp eyesight and/or a good lighted desktop magnifier are needed.

Here's a photo I took while assembling the Eggfinder TX
My "old-man" eyesight ain't what it used to be. :)

eggfinder.jpg

He includes low temp solder with the kits. It is a special "no clean" solder, so no flux required.

I think the low temp solder is included with the eGGfinder kit .. I don't remember seeing it with my eGGtimer kit.

Kenny

I think the low temp solder is included with the eGGfinder kit .. I don't remember seeing it with my eGGtimer kit.

Kenny

I think you're right about that Kenny...
The solder Cris sends with the Eggfinder is 63 / 37 No clean solder...
Here's a link if you'd like to know exactly which solder...

https://gokimco.com/245-no-clean-solder-wire-020-50.html

It really makes a difference,, it's easier to get a nice tight, clean joint with the right low temp solder..

You know,,
If your really that uncomfortable building a kit like this there is a young gentleman
on the forum that'll build these for you and I don't think he charges very much....

Teddy

I built my egg timer with a 50W iron and a magnifying glass. Light touch, no problem.

Test thoroughly before connecting any charges. I had this issue where the deployment channel would fire as soon as the battery was connected - eventually traced to a stray whisper of wire. If it had been a real charge instead of just an igniter it would have probably taken my head off. Would recommend it!

What's the diff between an eggtimer and an RRC2 ?

RRC2 can only deploy chute at apogee and chute at 500,800 and a couple more. Egg timer can air start, deploy chute at apogee, deploy chute at any altitude, stage motors, records velocity, reports max altitude, and some more cool things. Overall much better deal then the RRC2 minus the fact that they need to be assembled.

My question is...what solder to use?
I've done a ton of in the past.
Years ago I use to buy small Heath Kits.
But I don't like the little pencil solder irons.
I have 2 guns, Both Wellers
260/200 watts, which I use the most...
140/100 watts, which I use for tiny things.
Always clean the tips, dip in flux, dip everything in flux.
Tin the tip and apply to it sucks in joins the materials.
I'm guessing that is too much heat for electronics?

I asked the same question to Cris and that is what he recommended Kester 245. I have a spool of 2463378806 but it's .015 diameter, so you might want to get .02 or 2463378807.

Back