NTSB rules on drones... FAA can regulate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this is why we can't have nice things...

One person ***** their pants (or shines their ass) and the rest of us have to wear diapers.

People wonder why we have certs and safety codes and self regulation. This is why...if we do not enforce standards upon ourselves, it is inevitable that someone will try to enforce them for us.

As a philosopher once said - "Don't be a dick"

FC

Saw this on Facebook today on the NAR page.

My comment was "If you like your drone, you can keep your drone."

I stand by it.

[YOUTUBE]OZnJeuAja-4[/YOUTUBE]

Not saying it wasn't a dangerous flight. I think he was using a FPV system with a spotter.

At 1:39 - 1:40. Pilot spots the guy, pulls up and crashes into the bushes.

I think (not sure) pilot and spotter are visible in the distance - far right side of the frame.

10000dollarfine.jpg

The biggest issue I have with FPV vehicles is the they have very limited situational awareness. The "Head on a Swivel" requirement for most pilots flying aircraft. And the Radar feedback as well.

And there has been a recent study showing that the smoke from fireworks is hazardous to your health.
How long before somebody decides that the smoke from AP motors is hazardous and has to be regulated?
Or perhaps just criminalized.

The AMA guy in my circle claims that HPR models can be turned into RC guided missiles. Easier said than done. As G. Harry Stine said, "The government spends millions trying to get two objects to collide." We're treading on familiar ground again and it's weirding me out.

The NTSB is not a regulatory authority. It's sole function is to investigate safety related issues and accidents and to make recommendations. It has no enforcement authority and it's recommendations are frequently ignored, especially by the FAA, and especially if it costs the aviation industry money.......

https://sm4.global-aero.com/articles/faa-and-ntsb/ discusses the relationship between the FAA and the NTSB.

Bob

I'd take anything on that web site with a grain of salt... they have a definite slant on the "news".

I'd take anything on that web site with a grain of salt... they have a definite slant on the "news".

EVERY website has a different "slant" on the news . . .

Just keep hunting online, until you find one that tells you what you want to hear, and everything will be fine, right ?

Dave F.

Back