HELP!!!! PC woes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
I have an Acer laptop with Win7. I replaced a defective keyboard, and now everytime I hit the "W" key the start menu pops up. Well not EVERY time,but almost. I replaced THAT keyboard with a second one, same issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Is it only on cap W? When you hit the shift+W?
Is your wrist hitting the "Windows" key at the same time as you reach for the W key?
I don't have win 7, but if there is a macro for it you should be able to dissable it.
See what the manual says that came with the keyboard.
Good Luck.

Don't matter lower or upper case, it has a mind of its own. Might be a driver/software issue?

I have an Acer laptop with Win7. I replaced a defective keyboard, and now everytime I hit the "W" key the start menu pops up. Well not EVERY time,but almost. I replaced THAT keyboard with a second one, same issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
What model, how old, what was defective about the original keyboard? Much more to know to properly troubleshoot. Flat flex cable (I assume) from keyboard fully mated with connector(s)?

Winston, yes to cable. I made sure it was fully seated. I had a busted key on OEM keyboard. Acer model 7736z-4809. Only thing I can think is different is my hard drive died, so I replaced it with a SSD, When I reinstalled windows, seemed thats when this issue sprang up.

Is the keyboard seated properly, or is it possible that the windows key which is usually near the bezel is getting accidentally pushed? IF not a physical keypress issue I'm betting it's a ribbon cable / connector issue.

What happens if you put the defective keyboard back in (like Winston says, without knowing what was wrong, can't say if this is a good troubleshooting step).

Marc

Hmmm. W with "ALT" or some other special keypresses sometimes are defined to invoke the windows menu on keyboards that don't have actual windows keys. Could it be a "lock" that is set, similar to NumLock or Scroll Lock or some such?

But its intermittent, not at EVERY keypress. I havent been able to isolate what causes it and when it wont. Everything is installed properly, I even installed new touchpad drivers, nothing works so far.

Jim,

Try this....it might have nothing to do with your problem, but it can't hurt. Every once in awhile one of my servers will develop a similar issue. If you load the on-screen keyboard (Start > Accessories > Ease of Access > On Screen Keyboard), use your mouse to toggle the Windows Key a few times. See if that fixes it.

Back